Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainmente/MCU Upgrade Confirmed (US only for now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What doe the "Premium Connectivity subscription" give you? If you upgrade without paying for the "Premium Connectivity subscription" do you miss out on any the of features you use to have?

Does the upgrade give you 4G, or is that entirely separate (concerned here as carriers are talking about phasing out 3G...)?

Please don't annoy your local service centre about when this is happening here in Aus ... when it's available here for your vehicle config, you'll receive an invite from them.
Hmm, I brought my car home today with a new MCU1 that I had to pay for because my car is over 80,000km (even though only 3 years old).
Kind of galling that in a few months I could have gotten an MCU2 instead...

Hmm, I brought my car home today with a new MCU1 that I had to pay for because my car is over 80,000km (even though only 3 years old).
Kind of galling that in a few months I could have gotten an MCU2 instead...

Under the ACCC in Australia:
  • Tesla have a known-fault that causes these MCU's to fail
  • They are a expensive component that should not fail after 3 years
  • It is a critical, including safey component, of the car
The above fits perfectly in to "Not fit for purpose", NO WAY IN HELL should Tesla be charging for these replacement units.

Under the ACCC in Australia:
  • Tesla have a known-fault that causes these MCU's to fail
  • They are a expensive component that should not fail after 3 years
  • It is a critical, including safey component, of the car
The above fits perfectly in to "Not fit for purpose", NO WAY IN HELL should Tesla be charging for these replacement units.
Well I pushed as hard as I could for 2 months, in the end they said the component price had dropped from $4000 to $3000, and that they would do it half-price as an act of "goodwill". I basically figured spending $1511 was less painful than pursuing them through consumer affairs. The ACL specifically prohibits manufacturers referring to ACL guaranteed repairs as "goodwill".
You can imagine that after that long process and my eventual capitulation how galling it was to see that soon MCU2 upgrades will be available, and I've just purchased a bloody MCU1. If I'd known I'd have just put up with broken bluetooth for a few more months and purchased the MCU2.

Well I pushed as hard as I could for 2 months, in the end they said the component price had dropped from $4000 to $3000, and that they would do it half-price as an act of "goodwill". I basically figured spending $1511 was less painful than pursuing them through consumer affairs. The ACL specifically prohibits manufacturers referring to ACL guaranteed repairs as "goodwill".
You can imagine that after that long process and my eventual capitulation how galling it was to see that soon MCU2 upgrades will be available, and I've just purchased a bloody MCU1. If I'd known I'd have just put up with broken bluetooth for a few more months and purchased the MCU2.
I suspect it is going to be more than a few months before it gets to oz, and then it will be going to hw2 and 2.5 people before it gets to hw1. Figure a year, maybe more.

I suspect it is going to be more than a few months before it gets to oz, and then it will be going to hw2 and 2.5 people before it gets to hw1. Figure a year, maybe more.
That’s probably true; and makes me feel a little better :)
I am waiting for a substantial upgrade before I replace my car, eg full interior refresh.
I might buy the MCU2 upgrade in the meantime if it looks like that refresh is still a while away.

Reactions: ICUDoc
That’s probably true; and makes me feel a little better :)
I am waiting for a substantial upgrade before I replace my car, eg full interior refresh.
I might buy the MCU2 upgrade in the meantime if it looks like that refresh is still a while away.

I'm the same re upgrading car. MCU2 I'll likely do - hoping to be able to pay someone to retrofit the "new" FM tuner for MCU2 as well (waiting to see if anyone in the USA can get this to work).

Thanks,
Shane.