Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infrastructure Bill to Invest $7.5B into EV Chargers Along Highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the government is doing it we’ll end up with useless chargers that have a 4kW / hour charging rate or some other major flaw. It’s more of a bailout for the legacy automakers that sat on their hands and didn’t invest in EV infrastructure like Tesla.
Each station must be able to charge four vehicles, each at 150 kW, concurrently.

Plus, they are required to be working... I think the bill requires at least 1 of the 4 chargers to have a 97% uptime.
I guess it why they included an L2 plug !!!

message-editor_1636404282208-20211108-usdoechargingtypes.jpg

I'm a big math guy.... 48741 miles of interstate in the US. Dividing that by 50 gets me 975 stations, assuming absolutely zero coverage right now, and also assuming its one completely linear interstate. I'd be willing to bet that you really need maybe 70% of that 975 in 'added' stations, but whatever...

So now we have 7.5 BILLION going to cover 975 stations, for an actual cost of ~7.7 MILLION per station. If we cut the number of stations due to intersections in interstate highways, that's more like 10 million per station. Someone's relatives and friends are going to have to hide a LOT of money. Or maybe someone's dead shopping mall in the middle of nowhere will have to be bought and demolished for dozens of times its value so a new charger can be installed.

This is lunacy.

I don't see anymore any Hydrogen station

Better anyway than building $$$ Hydrogen refill stations!
I'm a big math guy.... 48741 miles of interstate in the US. Dividing that by 50 gets me 975 stations, assuming absolutely zero coverage right now, and also assuming its one completely linear interstate. I'd be willing to bet that you really need maybe 70% of that 975 in 'added' stations, but whatever...

So now we have 7.5 BILLION going to cover 975 stations, for an actual cost of ~7.7 MILLION per station. If we cut the number of stations due to intersections in interstate highways, that's more like 10 million per station. Someone's relatives and friends are going to have to hide a LOT of money. Or maybe someone's dead shopping mall in the middle of nowhere will have to be bought and demolished for dozens of times its value so a new charger can be installed.

This is lunacy.
It’s just a talking point for the politicians at taxpayer expense. Again, more than likely these will be junk that just rusts away. Amtrack probably sounded great too on paper or the train in California that makes The Big Dig look like a good deal.

Last edited:
I‘ve never seen the

It’s just a talking point for the politicians at taxpayer expense. Again, more than likely these will be junk that just rusts away. Amtrack probably sounded great too on paper or the train in California that makes The Big Dig look like a good deal.

I've met quite a few people in the San Francisco area and all of them like the BART Bay Area Rapid Transport a lot.

BART.jpg

I've met quite a few people in the San Francisco area and all of them like the BART Bay Area Rapid Transport a lot.

BART.jpg

BART.jpg
I’m talking about the bullet train which is years behind schedule and isn’t operational. It was sold to tax payers as a $40 billion project and is now hundreds of billions and not complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: abasile and Sandor
I realize now I didn't fully read the article, they are only planning to use 5B for the charging stations. Doubtless the other 2.5 billion will be used for 'education' of consumers on how great EVs are(sarcasm, to some degree).

That still leaves 7.5million or so per station.

It was also pointed out that this might require the building of charging stations on both sides of some interstates at certain points, or entirely new rest areas with charging stations. Sigh.

I realize now I didn't fully read the article, they are only planning to use 5B for the charging stations. Doubtless the other 2.5 billion will be used for 'education' of consumers on how great EVs are(sarcasm, to some degree).

That still leaves 7.5million or so per station.

It was also pointed out that this might require the building of charging stations on both sides of some interstates at certain points, or entirely new rest areas with charging stations. Sigh.
No.

2.5 billion is for installing charging stations in rural and disadvantaged areas.

Fossil fuels got the biggest subsidies historically. None of you anti govt people were complaining even a tiny bit then. 🙄

Don’t have double standards, please. 😏

This is absolutely the right thing to do here.

Especially since VW has done a very bad job with the EA charger network. With this initiative, hopefully there will be a lot of alternatives to Tesla. All good! 👍🙂

This is lunacy.

I imagine some of that money is for the required long-term maintenance. And they will need to buy land, and then build parking/improvements/utilities, and then can build the chargers (Tesla's cost for SC is ~$40k each).

This gets much cheaper if they can use the 2000 existing rest stops. However, these are prohibited by law from hosting commercial activity, with a carve-out for vending machines.

So is an EV charger a "vending machine"? 🤔

It's only "flawed" when the subsidies in question support the side you want to "win" which is an asinine, selfish and myopic way to go through life. It's a shame that people don't seem to give a hobo's crap about the country any longer. Just whatever their own personal interests are. But you keep suggesting I'm anti-govt and I should commit suicide when you know nothing about me. Real good look.

Im not saying it’s a win for “my side”. Stop mischaracterizing it as such, for this is what changes the tone to tribal mentality.

I am saying don’t start questioning a subsidy for only one side. Be fair.

Good day.

Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a close eye on these programs, how they are funded, rolled out, and ultimately perform. It's us and our next generations that will be paying it off with interest that likely will be much higher than the last 15 to 20 years.

Reactions: ccook