Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infuriated by Sunnyvale SC. Any one experience this? What did you do next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only been to the SC in Sunnyvale since it's close to me, but It's been an absolute nightmare to get them to fix my deep scratch(down to bare metal) found on delivery, to which a rep at delivery said they would cover and helped me create the ticket.

Throughout the process, they've been unresponsive over messaging over the app and you're forced to use that since they don't have a phone # you can call.

For context, this is the timeline of my issue:
Accept delivery in mid December '22:
  • at delivery, I noticed a deep scratch on the car, that exposes the bare metal and is about 4" long
  • rep assumed me that it would be fixed, and they put a note on the system (I watched them do it) as well as had me submit the issue in the app

1st SC visit, first week in Jan:
  • SC acknowledged it, and told me to go to their body shop(Slick Auto, which I don't trust at all). Since I have a body shop I know and trust, I asked if they had a list of approved shops, to which they did and told them I will go to my guy, they noted it down and said I would need to go to my guy, and have him send an estimate to them for which they will pay for
  • Same day, I swing by my guy and tell him the situation. he tells me he's done this before and should be very quick

A week goes by:
  • My body shop guy calls me that he's been attempting to reach out to Sunnyvale SC and gave them all the information they needed, but they dropped the ball on him and stopped communicating with them so they can't move forward
  • I create a new service ticket that had service within the week, but at a different service center (Santa Clara)

2nd week of Jan:
  • I get a call from Santa Clara SC and the Rep tells me since the original ticket was created at Sunnyvale, he can't help me much, but he will get in touch with my body shop and tell them what they need to do for next steps as well as Sunnyvale SC to let them know what needs to be done. This rep tells me that he will schedule an appointment for me at the body shop and I will get uber credits on the day of my appointment. He then told me he will move the ticket back to Sunnyvale for them to continue the process. I call my guy and let him be aware of the situation.
  • A few days go by, and my guy calls me saying that Tesla hasn't reached out, so I send another message in the chat.
  • I kept sending them a message every day at 9am, for 3 days until they just closed the ticket (absolutely livid) and I immediately create a new one.

So here I am on my 3rd ticket, 3rd week of Jan:
  • I explain all the situation of what's happened so far and where we're stuck (waiting for Tesla to give my guy the service order to make sure it's covered)
  • At this point I'm pulling my hair out based on the responses I'm getting as i'm assuming it's different advisors
    • 1st advisor: "I'll get working on it ASAP"
    • 2 days later, another advisor: "We'd like to cancel this request since the issue has been fixed already"
    • 5 days later, another advisor: "What exactly is the concern?"
    • Next day, another advisor: "Our approved body shop is Slick Auto, or you can choose a body shop from the approved list"
At this point I'm pulling my hair and absolutely infuriated with what is going on. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? What did you do next?

SC acknowledged it, and told me to go to their body shop(Slick Auto, which I don't trust at all). Since I have a body shop I know and trust, I asked if they had a list of approved shops, to which they did and told them I will go to my guy, they noted it down and said I would need to go to my guy, and have him send an estimate to them for which they will pay for
Problem identified. You’re trying to work things outside of their normal protocol because you assume it will lead to a better outcome.

As you’ve discovered, it won’t.

Tesla does things one way - their way. You can try and fight that because you have “a guy” or you can let them do things their way and move on. Don’t expect it to be easy if you choose the former.

Problem identified. You’re trying to work things outside of their normal protocol because you assume it will lead to a better outcome.

As you’ve discovered, it won’t.

Tesla does things one way - their way. You can try and fight that because you have “a guy” or you can let them do things their way and move on. Don’t expect it to be easy if you choose the former.
If this is outside their normal protocol, then why would they even give me the option to even do this? The multiple reps I've talked to so far say this is within protocol of allowing folks to go to an approved body shop and they have treated it as the norm. More so, it seems SV SC is lagging because when I talked with Santa Clara SC about the situation, they were more than happy to help and based on the 2 calls I had with them, they were very proactive in trying to get things done things done, if SV continued to be a pain in the neck.

And sure, I could've gone through Slick. However, I've gotten confirmation over the message system that they've sent the request and all the details to Slick on the very first appointment. And since I got fed up with waiting, I called Slick and they told me they didn't get anything.