Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Bonus Module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Seems the 3rd party electrical modifications for the model 3 are getting really clever.

I wouldn't install this myself as I'm sure Tesla would disable it at some point or I'd end up on some blacklist but it's interesting to see what's possible.

The short video below shows:
  • Near field auto opening of doors, frunk, trunk
  • Adjusting wiper speed from the stalk
  • Rear heated seats that can be controlled by the rear passengers
  • Enabling ambient lights (SR+)?
I'm sure some additional hardware is required in conjunction with the module.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
This reminds of chipping playstations 'back in the day'. Everytime Sony released a patch or revision to counter the chip, you just programmed the chip with new code. Took a week or so to come out.

I'm actually really tempted by this. £600 for the following seems like a good deal:

upload_2021-2-19_14-13-10.png

I am concerned about the easy removal of the device. It's installed behind the glovebox on LHD cars which I assume is in the driver footwell on RHD cars - I've emailed them to confirm.

Users have reported that they need to remove the module prior to some software updates (even though their site says over wifi), connect it to the computer and install the latest firmware. If true then this could be a PITA if it's not easy to access and remove. I'd be happy removing it prior to any occasions where I may need to visit Tesla service but most likely not before any software update.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I'm actually really tempted by this. £600 for the following seems like a good deal:

View attachment 638058

I am concerned about the easy removal of the device. It's installed behind the glovebox on LHD cars which I assume is in the driver footwell on RHD cars - I've emailed them to confirm.

Users have reported that they need to remove the module prior to some software updates (even though their site says over wifi), connect it to the computer and install the latest firmware. If true then this could be a PITA if it's not easy to access and remove. I'd be happy removing it prior to any occasions where I may need to visit Tesla service but most likely not before any software update.
presumably invalidation of warrantee should also be in the list of features?

I'd hope that warranty isn't automatically voided when fitting the module and that the onus would be on Tesla to prove the modification caused a part of the car to fail, saying that, I don't fancy my chances in a legal battle with Tesla.

It's definitely a risk worth considering and researching.

I know you are across the waters but that was litigated in California where mfgs attempted to void warranties and the courts came to your conclusion. But for personal liability protection it would be the other way, no help from Tesla if something went amiss.

Remember when Aplina and AMG weren't in-house?

I'd hope that warranty isn't automatically voided when fitting the module and that the onus would be on Tesla to prove the modification caused a part of the car to fail, saying that, I don't fancy my chances in a legal battle with Tesla.

It's definitely a risk worth considering and researching.
I don't think they could void your warranty, as you say, but who would you actually go to if for whatever reason they did say they weren't going to do warranty work on it? I wouldn't feel confident about being able to escalate and get things moving in any sensible timeframe, especially if the car was out of action.

My worry with something like this would be two fold:
  1. What if it does break something or make something work in an unexpected way?

2. If Tesla detected it - and there is evidence to suggest they can - would (could?) they withdraw services like supercharger access, effectively making your car very unappealing to the next buyer, etc?
EDIT: There's also this:
Any purchaser or user of the Boost 50 module releases Technologies Ingenext and all its related companies from any responsibility regarding the full or partial validity of the manufacturer’s warranty following the use of this equipment. We are not responsible for any modifications the manufacturer could do to your car (ex: turning off some features etc.).

Reactions: Medved_77
I don't think they could void your warranty, as you say, but who would you actually go to if for whatever reason they did say they weren't going to do warranty work on it? I wouldn't feel confident about being able to escalate and get things moving in any sensible timeframe, especially if the car was out of action.

My worry with something like this would be two fold:
  1. What if it does break something or make something work in an unexpected way?

2. If Tesla detected it - and there is evidence to suggest they can - would (could?) they withdraw services like supercharger access, effectively making your car very unappealing to the next buyer, etc?
EDIT: There's also this:

I'd definitely not be risking it within the warranty period, and probably not after that unless I was absolutely depserate for one of the feature it provides! I think Tesla would be in a very strong position if something happened to a motor for example (maybe even batteries with extra draw?), as they'd clearly be ablke to demonstrate that it had been artificially modified to be used above the recommended ratings.

Reactions: Durzel
Tesla could detect it very easily if they had the will, as after market apps like Teslamate can get the instantaneous power used on any trip from the Tesla API, so the data has to be on Tesla's servers for every car. A power increase of 50hp is going to show in that data, if the power is used. The question then becomes one of whether or not Tesla could argue that this caused a fault that would normally be covered by the warranty.

If I had to guess I'd say it almost certainly invalidates any claim relating to the drive unit, as Tesla could legitimately argue that the drive unit had been run over its specified maximum power limit. I doubt that anything else could be impacted though, and given that the drive unit is almost certainly software de-rated only in the SR+, perhaps an argument could be made that the same drive unit has a higher rating in other models.

given that the drive unit is almost certainly software de-rated only in the SR+, perhaps an argument could be made that the same drive unit has a higher rating in other models.
I think you're correct here as the module only works with drive units with part numbers ending in 980 not 990. So there must be two different variants of the unit on the SR+

Will get the borescope out tomorrow.

Any tips or tricks to getting our hands into that tiny space to pull out the clip and insert the module? I attempted to install the Boost module last night and gave up. I just can't get a grip on the clip to pull it out of the MCU due to the lack of space to get my hands in there properly.