Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost 50 / OEM Acceleration Upgrade Comparison Video

Would you watch a video comparing the Ingenext Boost 50 vs. the OEM Acceleration Upgrade?

• I would watch it, but I would probably hate it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not watch it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

I am considering putting together a comparison video that pits the Ingenext Boost 50 module against the OEM Acceleration Upgrade.

This would require a pretty significant time and capital investment. So, I am wondering if you all think it might provide value.

Let me know what you think!

Jett Black

Reactions: dfwatt
Yeah it's going to produce literally the same time, since all it's doing is reproducing the factory boost.

Every product they sell does that, just tricks the car into acting like a different, existing, car with the same motor(s).

One tricks a RWD SR into thinking it's a RWD LR
One tricks an AWD LR into thinking it's a boosted AWD LR
One tricks and AWD LR (with the 980 rear motor) into thinking it's a P.

Reactions: Jett Black
I'm pretty sure it tricks the car into thinking the rear has performance model power capability, not a RWD LR, since it requires a 980 rear motor in order to work. As far as I'm aware the LR RWD used the 970 motor.

Nope.

Originally every Model 3 made in 2017, 2018, and part of 2019 came with the 980. Including the early SRs- which is the thing they're telling you you need to check if yours has.

Same was true for initial Model Y production.

The LR AWD switched to the 990 sometime mid-2019...and the LR RWD was discontinued about that time. Not sure what date they switched SRs over to the 990.

I've never seen any production Model 3 use a 970...though I vaguely recall ONE poster saying he had one and everyone been stunned because nobody else had ever reported it in actual use, and AFAIK nobody since has either.

Further, far as I know if you tell a Tesla it's an AWD model, it needs to see a front motor.

Jason Hughes famously had to invent a "fake" front motor HW setup for one of his Model Ses he modded that way to make it work with AWD software- AFAIK no such part exists for the 3... (it's possible that it can't exist given they now lock the motors and battery packs together- hence why Rich Rebuilds had to change the battery pack when he converted a RWD 3 to AWD)

Last edited:
Originally every Model 3 made in 2017, 2018, and part of 2019 came with the 980. Including the early SRs- which is the thing they're telling you you need to check if yours has.

I've never seen any production Model 3 use a 970...though I vaguely recall ONE poster saying he had one and everyone been stunned because nobody else had ever reported it in actual use, and AFAIK nobody since has either.

You've definitely got your motor information wrong in some regards. The 970 definitely existed, and was used in the LR and MR RWD models. It uses IGBTs instead of MOSFETs, and I'm pretty sure it was the first motor used in the Model 3.

What I'm not clear on is how frequently it was used.

I distinctly remember my ST Micro FAE who visited a few times in 2016 and 2017 saying Tesla was going to start buying up even more MOSFETs than they already were at the time. Maybe related to the 980 and 990 motors? This FAE was hilarious, talked your head off, and kept talking about his next customer visit, Happiest Baby. They make auto rocking cribs, and had motor overheating issues from their bad controller firmware algorithms. He kept joking about this $1000 crib catching on fire from bad programming.

The Model Y never came with it, because the phase-out of the 970 predated the Model Y by years.

I checked a dyno plot of an SR vs a LRWD, and yeah it does make more sense that the boost software fools the car into thinking it is a LRWD; the SR+ and LRWD differ by about 50 HP. That does have me wondering, if a LRWD has the same power output for the rear motor as a Performance model.

Last edited:
You've definitely got your motor information wrong in some regards. The 970 definitely existed, and was used in the LR and MR RWD models. It uses IGBTs instead of MOSFETs, and I'm pretty sure it was the first motor used in the Model 3.

Yeah- that's the one guy ever who posted a pic of a 970 in a Tesla.

Here's his original post about it-

So no I don't think anything I said was incorrect.

If you can show me any evidence besides that of any wider use of the motor I'd love to see it though.

There's like a 100+ page thread on here about the different rear motors- 0 examples of 970 besides that one guy who never followed up AFAIK.

Every other owner of LR or MR, regardless of RWD or AWD, with 2017 or 2018 production posted pics of having a 980 in the rear... (as did many early 2019 owners)

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
Yeah- that's the one guy ever who posted a pic of a 970 in a Tesla.

Here's his original post about it-

So no I don't think anything I said was incorrect.

If you can show me any evidence besides that of any wider use of the motor I'd love to see it though.

There's like a 100+ page thread on here about the different rear motors- 0 examples of 970 besides that one guy who never followed up AFAIK.

Every other owner of LR or MR, regardless of RWD or AWD, with 2017 or 2018 production posted pics of having a 980 in the rear... (as did many early 2019 owners)
Wait, you saw the picture of an owner's car, and still conclude its not used? This is a mass produced item, with a documented part number in their database. Of course it was widely used, companies don't just add parts to their databases, qualify them, and ship 1 example to 1 customer. Itt might be rare or restricted to the early MR and/or the LR RWD models, but it definitely had to have been used, for us to see examples on the internet.

A quick google search also pulled a 970 for sale...

They were definitely used in cars, very early examples. Keep in mind deliveries of Model 3s in 2017 and 2018 were pretty small, so there aren't going to be as many 970 examples out there.

This Reddit post seems to imply the 970 came on the MR model, perhaps before it started using the same parts from the LR, the MR is one of the lowest production count trims, it also seemed to be built originally from left over or low cost parts before being canceled:

Early Model 3 production was pretty haphazard, there were a lot of revision changes, not to mention abandoned trims.

Last edited:
Reactions: hyp36rmax
Wait, you saw the picture of an owner's car, and still conclude its not used?

I mean- you quoted my actual words, now seem surprised to find out what they were?

Here they are again

Me said:

We've seen ONE person post a 970 motor mounted on a car.

Ever.

Every other poster, and it's lots of em, who posted PNs from 2017, 2018, and most early 2019 Model 3s- of all trims- posted a 980.

This is a mass produced item, with a documented part number in their database.

That second statement is true (it's in the catalog)

We have no idea of it being mass produced.

If it was that mass produced it's likely it would've shown up in more than 1 car ever the forum is aware of.

Tesla changes parts and does weird one-off and small batch stuff all the time though.

Remember the early Model Ys that came with a weird fake wooden brace on the LCC?

Of course it was widely used, companies don't just add parts to their databases, qualify them, and ship 1 example to 1 customer. Itt might be rare or restricted to the early MR and/or the LR RWD models, but it definitely had to have been used, for us to see examples on the internet.

See now I'm wondering at something YOU just said in the same sentence... that it could be "widely used" and also "rare"

It absolutely seems rare... we've seen one, ever, mounted on a car.

A quick google search also pulled a 970 for sale...

And now one specific one NOT in a car :)

FWIW- I did check, they're at least not the same serial # as each other... so now we know Tesla made at least two of these :)

They were definitely used in cars, very early examples.

You keep saying that.

Yet the one we saw in a a real car is a LR RWD from 2018, meaning it was made at the earliest in the second year of production.... I'm certainly willing to buy they tried it out in a tiny handful of say late '17/early '18s, so few you virtually never see em... but I think mass produced might be overstating things a bit...and certainly the vast majority of all Model 3s made in '17 and '18 are 980 rears (as well as a decent chunk of early 2019s)

This Reddit post seems to imply the 970 came on the MR model, perhaps before it started using the same parts from the LR, the MR is one of the lowest production count trims, it also seemed to be built originally from left over or low cost parts before being canceled:

That link appears to be one guy claiming they must be different because the parts catalog has 2 different parts.

And someone else replying and saying he's wrong and the MRs got the same HW as the LRs- which is what I'm also saying (and which every pic from an MR owner I've ever seen on here also says)

MRs weren't introduced until the Model 3 had been in production for well over a full year.... I guess we could quibble over how "early" we wanna define 'early'

But I've never seen an MR with a 970.

Tagging @AlanSubie4Life as he was pretty heavily invovled in the really long rear motor thread back when it was active that when on for hundreds of posts with only the 1 in-a-car 970 sighting I'm aware of in case he's got more recent info he could add.

What I'm not clear on is how frequently it was used.

I distinctly remember my ST Micro FAE who visited a few times in 2016 and 2017 saying Tesla was going to start buying up even more MOSFETs than they already were at the time. Maybe related to the 980 and 990 motors? This FAE was hilarious, talked your head off, and kept talking about his next customer visit, Happiest Baby. They make auto rocking cribs, and had motor overheating issues from their bad controller firmware algorithms. He kept joking about this $1000 crib catching on fire from bad programming.

The Model Y never came with it, because the phase-out of the 970 predated the Model Y by years.

I checked a dyno plot of an SR vs a LRWD, and yeah it does make more sense that the boost software fools the car into thinking it is a LRWD; the SR+ and LRWD differ by about 50 HP. That does have me wondering, if a LRWD has the same power output for the rear motor as a Performance model.
The Model 3 LR RWD does have the same power output on its rear motor as the Performance has on its rear motor (look up European data on the power outputs by motor and trim, or EPA documents too). They are the same rear motor too, 980. My Model 3 LR RWD was made in March 2018 and has the 980. All the LR RWD I've ever seen people post about have the same motor. So I tend to agree with Knightshade.

Reactions: tm1v2
Is the feature that disables the traction control basically track mode with tc full off? Basically the difference is you can’t control how much the TC intervened or control the power split front and rear? It just disables TC in 50/50 power distribution mode?

And now one specific one NOT in a car :)

FWIW- I did check, they're at least not the same serial # as each other... so now we know Tesla made at least two

Stupid question time …. Is it possible that the 970 was used as the front motor in S/X? I know at the time there was talk that the front motor on S/X was updated to be very similar - if not identical - to Model 3’s rear motor.

I ask because that fleaBay photo has the 970 motor on a stand right next to some Tesla air suspension parts. How’s that for “two things we normally don’t see together”…?

Stupid question time …. Is it possible that the 970 was used as the front motor in S/X? I know at the time there was talk that the front motor on S/X was updated to be very similar - if not identical - to Model 3’s rear motor.

I ask because that fleaBay photo has the 970 motor on a stand right next to some Tesla air suspension parts. How’s that for “two things we normally don’t see together”…?

Not a silly question but fairly easy to answer....

the raven parts catalog shows front motor as

ASY, DRIVE UNIT, RAVEN, MS
1478000-00-D Restricted 1 1
ASY, DRIVE UNIT, RAVEN, MS/X
1744938-00-A Restricted 1 1

Neither appears in the Model 3 catalog at all.

For the 2021 S refresh it shows

ASY, FRONT DU, P2, LONG RANGE
1798000-00-B Restricted 1 1
ASY, FRONT DU, P2, PERFORMANCE
1798000-10-C Restricted 1 1

Not a silly question but fairly easy to answer....

the raven parts catalog shows front motor as

ASY, DRIVE UNIT, RAVEN, MS
1478000-00-D Restricted 1 1
ASY, DRIVE UNIT, RAVEN, MS/X
1744938-00-A Restricted 1 1

Neither appears in the Model 3 catalog at all.

For the 2021 S refresh it shows

ASY, FRONT DU, P2, LONG RANGE
1798000-00-B Restricted 1 1
ASY, FRONT DU, P2, PERFORMANCE
1798000-10-C Restricted 1 1

Ah yes, thanks for refreshing my memory. It was introduced with the Raven. I looked in the EPC on the prior generation (2016-2019?) and saw the “Small drive motor” which only listed a refurb part number. No way to tell easily what that matches up to since there’s no public “refurb to original P/N”…. But doesn’t matter because you’re 100% on point - it was only introduced with Raven.

Is it *possible* that the Model S motor package is really a (970/980/990) with a different SKU? Sure. But that’d take some more sleuthing that I’m not equipped to do. My wife’d be pretty PO’d if I took her front motor apart!

(That said, once the X is home (it’s a Raven), I’m going to stick my head under there and see what I can see.)

Getting boost50 installed in my LR M3 as we speak. Looking forward to sub 4 sec :)
Ok guys I can safely say the ingenext module is incredible. Successful in matching ABoost and some extra features ie. auto open drivers door, winter wiper mode so wipers raise up when in park, manual wipers so one doesn’t have to goto the screen and waste 3 functions for a one function item…impressive.

I’ll admit 3.7 sec is quite the diff. The throttle response is amazing and the car feels 500lbs lighter off the line and at basically any speed.
Very impressed.

Ok guys I can safely say the ingenext module is incredible. Successful in matching ABoost and some extra features ie. auto open drivers door, winter wiper mode so wipers raise up when in park, manual wipers so one doesn’t have to goto the screen and waste 3 functions for a one function item…impressive.

I’ll admit 3.7 sec is quite the diff. The throttle response is amazing and the car feels 500lbs lighter off the line and at basically any speed.
Very impressed.
Were you able to directly compare with the Acceleration Boost? Just curious because I've seen a video where the Ghost module was quicker than a Model 3 Performance.

Were you able to directly compare with the Acceleration Boost? Just curious because I've seen a video where the Ghost module was quicker than a Model 3 Performance.
I was not. I don’t have an AB LR 3 with me.
I did however record a 0-100 time of 3.61 sec with battery at 90%, 12c outside. This is faster than the 3.7 sec100km with AB spec.

From 50kph to 150kph it’s also a rocket. The mid range also improved dramatically! Faster than my 2018 100D S was.

Ghost quicker than PM3…hmmm…could be driver error? But then again we don’t know exactly how much is unlocked with Ghost 🤷🏽‍♂️