Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we all agree that we don't have conclusive proof one way or another that 980 motors...
My kids got into a fight yesterday. When I tried to shut them down my daughter said "but (my brother) is being a turd". To which I replied, "You are both being turds and I refuse to be the turd judge. Go to your rooms."

In the spirit of the 980 discussion I do wonder something. If an AWD owner with the 980 suffers a rear motor failure would they replace with another 980 or would the use a 990 instead?

That's a good question. I guess it would also depend what extra programming might be required. Except for the fact that the 980 could be more prone to failure, there should be no difference in power output as programmed by Tesla. And potential means nothing if
it isn't going to be used. I'm curious to see how the 990s hold up over time. So far, I haven't read of a single 990 failure here or on other sites. Obviously, time will tell.

That's a good question. I guess it would also depend what extra programming might be required. Except for the fact that the 980 could be more prone to failure, there should be no difference in power output as programmed by Tesla. And potential means nothing if
it isn't going to be used. I'm curious to see how the 990s hold up over time. So far, I haven't read of a single 990 failure here or on other sites. Obviously, time will tell.
I believe Car and Driver magazine had a long term test Model 3 equipped with the 990 rear motor, which suffered an inverter unit failure. Our Tesla Model 3 Is Up and Running Again after Sudden Breakdown

Their test car was a 2019 model year LR AWD, which puts it in 990 territory.

Mine is a 2018 model (barely, as in 12/31/2018 build date), and has a version "A" 990 rear.

Reactions: john5520
I believe Car and Driver magazine had a long term test Model 3 equipped with the 990 rear motor, which suffered an inverter unit failure. Our Tesla Model 3 Is Up and Running Again after Sudden Breakdown

Their test car was a 2019 model year LR AWD, which puts it in 990 territory.

Mine is a 2018 model (barely, as in 12/31/2018 build date), and has a version "A" 990 rear.

Ok, so the 990s go back further than I thought. I was under the impression based on what I read on the forum, that the cut off was some time around early to mid 2019. Obviously, they were phasing them in months earlier. I wonder what's the latest build a 980 was found in?

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it
Ok, so the 990s go back further than I thought. I was under the impression based on what I read on the forum, that the cut off was some time around early to mid 2019. Obviously, they were phasing them in months earlier. I wonder what's the latest build a 980 was found in?

The guy with the 12/31/18 build is the only 990 I've ever heard of from 2018.

In the big motor thread the first one previously was someone in the EU (UK I think?) with a Jan 2019 car and a 990.... but 980s kept showing up in at least some US LR AWDs through the summer of 2019 (intermixed with 990s, the earliest US one I recall before this guy being about march timeframe and the latest I think was July/August timeframe)

• Informative
Reactions: john5520
Agreed, the stage 2 just has too many issues. I really dont see anyone doing this.
Way too much risk/hassle/cost/travel etc.
Cant get future updates/have to remove and pay for Free updates.
If someone was really willing to take this big of risk and hassle just to get 3.1 0-60 why not just buy a performance model.

Eagerly awaiting video. COME ON RICH!!!!

I'd probably consider it after all my warranties from Tesla are up... Even then it's still a hard sale for me

Why would they still be replacing AWDs with 980s then? Doesn’t check out.

If I was EG...I wouldn’t be bragging about this tbh if you’re trying to sell software.

2AE839B3-00CF-4583-90FD-F6999FEB9474.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms