Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, got a run in today with the SR Boost at about 80% SoC with Scan My Tesla. Not sure how close it is to something like a Dragy. I felt little blips of losing traction which I don't normally remember feeling before unless the road surface was really bad.

Screenshot_20210409-111819 - Copy.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210409-111819.png
    Screenshot_20210409-111819.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: badiban
So for the life of me, I can't figure out whether mine is 990 or 980. What am I missing?

I took these photos after taking off my wheel. Still can't figure it out.

It's supposed to be etched on that square silver plate. It was hard for me to get it into focus so the characters were legible. But I didn't take the wheel off, just jammed my arm over the top of the wheel and took pictures at random angles with the flash on till I got a good one. Hard to tell whether your pictures are out of focus or you actually have a blank plate on your DU.

It's supposed to be etched on that square silver plate. It was hard for me to get it into focus so the characters were legible. But I didn't take the wheel off, just jammed my arm over the top of the wheel and took pictures at random angles with the flash on till I got a good one. Hard to tell whether your pictures are out of focus or you actually have a blank plate on your DU.

Thanks. I'm fairly certain then that I have a blank plate. I haven't read of anyone having a blank plate. What does that mean?

Thanks. I'm fairly certain then that I have a blank plate. I haven't read of anyone having a blank plate. What does that mean?

It's documented somewhere in that enormous locked (mysterious why it is still locked, but oh well) thread on motors, but sometime in ~September-~November 2018, they had blank plates.

If your car is in that timeframe of manufacture, it's a 980 motor. (Because all motors immediately before and immediately after that time period were 980s back then - of course we don't know for certain...since the plate is blank.) If it was manufactured some other time, I don't know.

My plate is blank. I have a 980 (probably).

t's documented somewhere in that enormous locked (mysterious why it is still locked, but oh well) thread on motors, but sometime in ~September-~November 2018, they had blank plates.

If your car is in that timeframe of manufacture, it's a 980 motor. (Because all motors immediately before and immediately after that time period were 980s back then - of course we don't know for certain...since the plate is blank.) If it was manufactured some other time, I don't know.

Just a heads up that I have an early November 2018 AWD M3 with a 990 motor (or at least a 990 label). I'm in a dubiously exclusive club apparently.

Looking to buy a better label.

It's documented somewhere in that enormous locked (mysterious why it is still locked, but oh well) thread on motors, but sometime in ~September-~November 2018, they had blank plates.

My car's build date is January 2019 according to the door jamb.

I purchased it as an inventory car supposedly from Europe.

Just a heads up that I have an early November 2018 AWD M3 with a 990 motor (or at least a 990 label). I'm in a dubiously exclusive club apparently.

Looking to buy a better label.

Oh, that's interesting. In the motor thread at the time we weren't aware of any reports that early!

I know I have a 980 because I have a Performance. However, I guess your information suggests that it's not certain that an AWD from that timeframe is a 980 (previously I would have been fairly certain).

Reactions: alstoralset
My car's build date is January 2019 according to the door jamb.

I purchased it as an inventory car supposedly from Europe.

I don't think we can say what type of motor your car has. I'm surprised there were still blank plates at that point in time (again, just as I recall, I think that thread indicated a tighter timeframe).

I'm not sure if any of the other markings on the motor case are definitive - I don't believe they are, but we've never really done a close investigation.

In short, I'm not sure I have any useful information here to help you decide on whether you could do this upgrade.

Here's a December 2018 report of an 990 switchover in an AWD (and based on report above it was as early as November 2018). You can peruse all the details of the timeframe in this thread, it's a pretty quick read: Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

Blank plates are more rare though. It was thought to be September-October 2018 according to that thread, but that's apparently not true based on your information. I don't think we've had a report of a blank plate in a vehicle that nearly certainly should be a 990 motor (so after June 2019), so I guess one might conclude that your car was built with a surplus 980 motor from that September-October timeframe (circumstantially). But no guarantees!

Last edited:
Oh, that's interesting. In the motor thread at the time we weren't aware of any reports that early!

I know I have a 980 because I have a Performance. However, I guess your information suggests that it's not certain that an AWD from that timeframe is a 980 (previously I would have been fairly certain).

Mine does appear to be an outlier. Haven't seen any others before 2019. There's slight hope that they just ran out of labels and grabbed a 990 one instead of a blank one, but that's pretty flimsy.

It looks like at least some of the RDUs have another indication of the motor type. Will check for this with a borescope next time I rotate:

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Mine does appear to be an outlier. Haven't seen any others before 2019. There's slight hope that they just ran out of labels and grabbed a 990 one instead of a blank one, but that's pretty flimsy.

It looks like at least some of the RDUs have another indication of the motor type. Will check for this with a borescope next time I rotate:

Ah, that's super helpful. At least it is helpful if you have a borescope, or you don't mind sticking your head way into the wheel well when it's up on jacks (hopefully with jack stand protection, of course) and using your phone camera.

Sadly, I strongly suspect that your 990 plate indicates you have a 990 motor. But, hope springs eternal.

Reactions: alstoralset
Interesting, a bit disappointing with that result, was hoping for more around 4.5 - 4.6. What year was your car built? How did you measure the 0-60?
I have a 2020 delivered in feb. Not sure when it was built tho. The Ingenext module configuration page has a 0-60 recording. I suspect this is done by recording the timestamp of when you last hit 0 and 60 and calculating the delta. Maybe a dragy that uses GPS could be more accurate? Errors could come from the initial 0-1mph where the car just starts to move, but isnt accounted for, sloped ground, and worn tires that add to odometer inaccuracy.

IIRC, there was a thread where some people had blank plates and they were assumed to be 980s.

Last edited:

Which locked thread are you talking about? I didnt follow the motor debate very closely because it didnt interest me (and I have a performance model 3 so I knew I had the 980). It may have been locked before I became a mod (I dont remember locking it).

Would like to take a look at it and see if it needs to be unlocked, or if I can see a clear reason why it was locked.

I have a blank plate as well. It is AWD built in early November 2018.....(took delivery on 11/20/2018). Always thought it was a 980, but since it is not a Performance I am unsure. Always wondered if they put the plate on inside-out. :)

I'd give it a 80% chance it's a 980. Never thought about a flipped-over plate. Could always pry that plate off to find out! ;) For science!

• Funny
Reactions: mrau and P-Lo801
If you have a blank plate just DM or email ingenext. One FB user had one and it was a 980 and one person had one and it was a 990. Ingenext refunded the 990 ones money bc they won’t know until they actually start programming the DU. There’s only one other way to know but you need a bore scope. It’s printed on the topside of the DU on the passenger side.