Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingress & Egress is not good in the MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you all comment let me just say the car is amazing. The ride is parallel to a Mercedes and BMW. The body style definitely turns heads and raises a lot of questions......BUT......the Ingress and Egress are horrible. You have to maneuver your body just to get in the car and I know many of you have discussed rubbing against the Pillar Bar. But once you're in your fine! Well almost........

There are some interior ergonomic issues too. I get a right leg cramp and some hip discomfort when I drive the car because there is no way to rest my right leg when I press on the accelerator. I have to move the seat forward just to rest my knee barely on the control panel which makes my EGRESS that much harder. I'm hoping the "YET TO BE RELEASE" console will take care of this problem.

Before you all comment let me just say the car is amazing. The ride is parallel to a Mercedes and BMW. The body style definitely turns heads and raises a lot of questions......BUT......the Ingress and Egress are horrible. You have to maneuver your body just to get in the car and I know many of you have discussed rubbing against the Pillar Bar. But once you're in your fine! Well almost........

There are some interior ergonomic issues too. I get a right leg cramp and some hip discomfort when I drive the car because there is no way to rest my right leg when I press on the accelerator. I have to move the seat forward just to rest my knee barely on the control panel which makes my EGRESS that much harder. I'm hoping the "YET TO BE RELEASE" console will take care of this problem.

You might try creating another driver profile called "Entry/Exit" which places the seat and steering wheel in the best position for egress. Once you're inside, simply select your own driver profile to move the seat and steering wheel to your desired driving position.

You might try creating another driver profile called "Entry/Exit" which places the seat and steering wheel in the best position for egress. Once you're inside, simply select your own driver profile to move the seat and steering wheel to your desired driving position.

+1

This is EXACTLY what I've had to do since day 1 of driving my Model S ("Exit" profile moves seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way in and up). unfortunately for larger/taller people, the distance between the door sill and the roof line is too small. The Chevy Volt also has this exact problem, but curiously my Toyota Prius (both the 2010 model 5) and the current 2012 Plug in Prius do not have this issue.

This is all good for the driver but what about the Passengers!

I watch some people struggle a little. and rub the pillar! I have no problems but it is my car and I know how to get in and out(never had any problems though, even in the rear during the test rides) It is a sedan that acts like a sports car in many ways but weight

+1

This is EXACTLY what I've had to do since day 1 of driving my Model S ("Exit" profile moves seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way in and up). unfortunately for larger/taller people, the distance between the door sill and the roof line is too small. The Chevy Volt also has this exact problem, but curiously my Toyota Prius (both the 2010 model 5) and the current 2012 Plug in Prius do not have this issue.
+1 for me on this as well. I am not a petite guy and this helps getting in and out tremendously.

Another short coming on the MS.......NO HOOKS on the headliner to hang dry cleaning or suit jacket. I have to put it in the trunk......

Tesla really has to put more thought into the comforts and user friendly items for the owner. I hate that there's no door pockets or console. Everyone has talked about the lack of a vanity light for the sun visor.

Hmmm ... sounds like maybe Tesla should offer falcon wing doors as an option for the Model S.

:)

Nope, just needs 2-3" more clearance on the door opening. Of course that's probably an entire redesign of the car.
I wish when they where designing the car, they had done some measurement of other cars sill to roof clearance, they could have found this issue a long time ago (like before sheet metal was designed..)

Also, handles on the roof by the doors help for egress as well.. A car in this class needs more ergonomic design, and frankly it's expected by the buyers.

My wife has a terrible time getting in and out, especially in the back seat. Sometimes we'll pick up my 85 year old mother and let her have the front seat, and she has no trouble at all getting in and out, so I don't think it's an age thing.

There seems to be an abnormally large rise at the door sill, and that is where my wife seems to have trouble: getting her foot/leg caught there especially getting out.