TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Initial $1,000 referral expired?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarkS22, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

So, I had a $1,000 credit from the original referral program. I logged into MyTesla on January 3nd and saw it expired 12/31/16. The thing is, I was never told of this expiration. I didn't receive an email that it would be expiring. I even searched through my emails announcing the referral program and there's no mention of expiration date. Had I known, I would've ordered a wall charger or tires or anything.

I sent an email to my Owner Advisor and received no reply. Has anyone successfully contacted Tesla to honor the credit? I'm disappointed because I've made two referrals plus attended dozens of EV events promoting Tesla, published videos with 400k+ views that trended in the Top Ten on Facebook, only to lose $1,000 because I was never informed of an expiration. Seems a bit disingenuous to me. Especially after noticing it and emailing the Owner Advisor literally the first business day after it expired.

Thoughts?

2. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Also, let me add here's the email I received about the program. Note there's no mention of an expiration or any additional rules. (The only footnote is regarding OH and VA.) It clearly says "In return, you will get a $1,000 discount that can be applied to a new car, service center visit or accessory purchase." No caveats, no expiration. I don't have any emails before this one.

IMG_0177.PNG

3. Ormond

Ormond Member

Mark, I don't have an answer, but I did see that the expiration date was discussed in another thread. Did you look for a Tesla email in your spam folder?

4. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

Did you ever log in to your "My Tesla" page last year? I recall seeing the expiry there very clearly. I made sure to take note of it and ordered a bunch of stuff back in October.

• Like x 1
  5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The expiration date was right next to the credit on your MyTesla account. Here's a screenshot of mine from a few months back. You can see it was very clear when credits were expiring.

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 7.56.57 AM.png

6. croman

croman Active Member

I believe they announced the expiration at the start of the previous program but I wasn't around back when they actually gave you $1k credit. I don't think they emailed anyone about it but rather had the information on MyTesla and the referral page website on Tesla.com. I hope Tesla honors it because I don't see what they have to gain (other than $1k credit that you might exceed with new tires). Tesla has no marketing budget other than this program so its money well spent for them.

7. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

I did login but didn't notice that section. Obviously had I known, I wouldn't just throw away $1,000. I noticed on January 3rd, then went back to my emails (including spam) to see if it was ever mentioned and I didn't see it anywhere.

8. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Yes, that's where I saw it for the first time on January 3rd. I immediately emailed my Owner Advisor.

Did you receive any other notification of expiration via email or other method? Personally, I don't think putting an expiration on the owner login page at the bottom of a paragraph is a reasonable notice.

I don't think it's right to add a "deal term" in a new location like that. I was asking here because I wanted to see if this was common knowledge or easily missed.

An email to everyone who still had a credit would've been nice.

9. croman

croman Active Member

Just add this as another example of the many many ways Tesla sucks at communicating with owners.

• Disagree x 2
  10. bonnie

I don't remember if I received an email or not. I do remember *knowing* it was expiring at the end of 2016, so obviously their method of communication worked for me & a myriad of other people, too.

You really never checked your MyTesla page to see that your credit had posted? The expiration date has been there from the beginning.

Really? How's that? They communicated the expiration from the beginning.

11. bonnie

I just went back and looked at my original letter. It only mentioned referral credits, but didn't tell me the amount. So the only way I knew my total credit was by referencing the MyTesla page.

That's the only way you would have known, too. So when you looked to see that you had $1000 in credit, you also had the expiration date for those credits.

Sorry you missed out, but to blame this on Tesla is a huge stretch.

• Like x 1
  12. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

I only had one credit. I wasn't checking obsessively. I knew I had a credit because the person I recommended took delivery. The only reason I went on January 3rd was because a friend told me they used my code in the past couple months and I was checking it. At the time, on 1/3/17, it still showed the $1,000 credit. I then read the paragraph about it and saw the expiration.

To further complicate things, the other emails had a link for more details. When you click it, it brings you to the latest referral program rules. Not the rules for the program in question.

So, I did click on those for all the program details over the past year, but they had been replaced by the new rules with no mention of the expiration. Try clicking on one of your original referral program detail links and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I just think it was poorly communicated. On top of that, two emails to the the Owner Advisors were never replied to since January 3rd.

13. bonnie

Okay. We'll have to agree to disagree. I happen to think that putting the expiration on the page where they show how much credit you have is enough of a notice (checking obsessively or not). You think it should have been communicated other ways. And again, sorry you missed out on using it.

14. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I don't know. I think I, respectfully, disagree. You've clearly gotten many credits, so your use case and experience is perhaps very different.

Consider an owner who referred a single friend. They get an email that they received a referral credit. They think "Great! My friend's referral went through!" There's no need to check the amount: they only referred one person and the confirmation proved it went through. It's $1000.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I don't think I've logged into the myTesla website since the Model3 reveal, which is a few months shy of a year. It seems entirely possible to me that someone could have gotten a referral and not logged in to be shown the expiration.

Was this really not communicated elsewhere? I looked through the emails I received about the program, and I can't find any mentioning an expiration, either.

If it were me, and the facts as presented above were true, I'd probably complain to Tesla. Probably fruitlessly, but still... you'd think they'd at least have some fine print to point to.

• Like x 3
  15. bonnie

Did you get a communication that you're received a referral credit and how much you had available? I didn't. I don't think the OP got an email saying they received a referral credit. (If he did, I stand corrected.) He received emails about the program. To the best of my knowledge, there was no email after the program saying 'congrats, you received $n in credit'.

My point is the only place where you would find out if Tesla gave you that credit for your one friend is if you looked at your account. And that's where the info on expiration also happens to be.

But obviously everyone is entitled to disagree. I am speaking to my personal experience & also remembering many forum conversations about the expiration (so obviously others saw it, too).

16. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I think I must have misunderstood something you said:
    This sounded to me like you received a letter confirming you received credits, but not how many credits. If not, I agree that changes things.

17. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

No, I didn't receive an email after a referral. The only reason I know is because my friend called me and said he used my referral. He had the same Owner Advisor, who remembered me, and didn't even need my referral link. (I think he said they just looked it up and added it.)

I didn't see the expiration date on the MyTesla page until January 3rd. I had been to it to glance and see if the referrals went up from my YouTube video, but didn't read the page. (I had no reason to because I read the detailed rules carefully for the current referral program at the time.) The instant I saw the expiration, I emailed them. It's really that simple. If they claim that's enough notice, that's their decision.

I respect all the opinions here. I was mostly curious if I missed a very clear expiration notice. In searching online, I've seen others who missed it. So, it's definitely not just me.

I spent a lot of time with the referral owner in question. They have a small garage, so I brought my car over and made sure it would fit, took him on test drives, etc. Personally, I would've appreciated an email or call from my service center. Not because they have to but because it would've been a nice customer support experience.

I sent another (polite) email and I'll see what they say. Still haven't heard back anything since the 3rd. It's possible they might still allow it. Who knows?

It's an amazing vehicle and I'm happy to still spread the word and continue to submit exploits to BugCrowd, etc. Thanks for the input all.

18. bonnie

Yes, I received an email after the program saying basically 'in addition to credits, you also won the following'. The amount of the credit was not mentioned anywhere in writing. I only knew my credit amount from the MyTesla page.

19. bonnie

You sound like a great advocate for Tesla - glad you are happy with the car. :)

20. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I agree ... Tesla communication historically has been lacking and they should have alerted you to the expiry date.
    Going forward they are working to improve the program and now have a Referral Dashboard on your MyTesla page. :cool: