Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, my AP2 car has only slept for 16 min today. That is unusual, usually gets at least a few hours. (I keep track with Teslafi, which I recommend.)

Anyone know how many HW2 Model S' are out in the wild right now?
Have not seen any suggestion that the factory was not running at speed since Oct 10, thus it could be above 20,000.

Just tweeted...

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 2m2 minutes ago
HW2 Autopilot software uploading to 1000 cars this eve. Will then hold to verify no field issues and upload to rest of fleet next week.

Fleet??

One definition of "fleet" that I found on Google: "the largest group of naval vessels under one commander, organized for specific tactical or other purposes. "an invasion fleet"".

So, under commander Elon, the car that I spent the big bucks on is just part of a fleet tasked with "invading" the ICE non-autonomous driving world?

Well, my Tesla may not be a navel vessel, but I understand that it does float.

And yes, I do know that "fleet" is also used to describe a collection of vehicles under a single owner. Still, it's a little unnerving that my car is actually under the control of "the man"...

Normally we receive a notification on the touch screen when a software update is ready to install. When we accept the update, it is scheduled for a time to install. So there is no need to check the car or move away from wifi except for the time of install.

Normally we receive a notification on the touch screen when a software update is ready to install. When we accept the update, it is scheduled for a time to install. So there is no need to check the car or move away from wifi except for the time of install.

The Tesla phone app will also alert you of an available/pending update, right? I'm away from the car until Tuesday night but hoping the app will alert me and I might send someone to my house to initialize it. :p

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I wonder how many AP/2 cars they actually built this quarter ...

Well we can guess based on what they have told us:
  • They run about 2,400 cars a week.
  • AP2 cars started production about 10/10
  • There have been 12 weeks since 10/10.
  • There was 2 weeks of downtime at the factory in Q4.
So that would mean that they produced up to AP2 HW equipped 24,000 cars.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker