Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 1.43.30 PM.png

Agreed. He didn't state outright, but I assume they will wait a bit after activation. His tweet indicated shadow mode followed by activation with easing of the restrictions with caution after they have data.

Yes, I believe that is the plan he hinted at. They will take it slow and release new features every 1-2 months. Based on how the HW2 activation is going I am really hoping they focus more on the safety features like AEB rather than summon+.

When did you get your car? My non-PUP doesn't have them.
Id like to give you an update. Turns out only the front 2 doors have puddle lights.

These lights make a pretty big difference. Very happy with the purchase. Im shocked Tesla didnt make them like this from the beginning.

I used this tool to remove the lights. Worked better than any of my plastic pry tools
OLFA LA-X Utility Knife-1072198 - The Home Depot

I only bought 12 lights and wasnt planning on doing the glove compartment. Since I had an extra two I switched it out. GLAD I DID! Much better now

I really doubt they will go over 35. Elon on twitter said something to that effect, I think that they are going to go slow on this.
Sending out a test build of the software to 1000 people is one thing. Sending out the same crippled test to the rest of the fleet doesn't seem like it would give investors and customers confidence in Tesla. Sure many people might be willing to test out beta releases, but I imagine a majority of customers don't want to feel like guinea pigs. I am also not sure what more they could learn from just scaling up the number of test vehicles at this point. Either they have it working the way they want it or they need more testing time.

Sending out a test build of the software to 1000 people is one thing. Sending out the same crippled test to the rest of the fleet doesn't seem like it would give investors and customers confidence in Tesla. Sure many people might be willing to test out beta releases, but I imagine a majority of customers don't want to feel like guinea pigs. I am also not sure what more they could learn from just scaling up the number of test vehicles at this point. Either they have it working the way they want it or they need more testing time.

I think it is dramatic to call it a crippled test. The entire Audi Traffic Jam assist feature that debuted in the Q7 and A4 with much fanfare is limited to 35 and below.

I think it's plausible they will start from there and build confidence. Even at the whole fleet level.

It's great for dealing with traffic jams. Why limit it to a small group of people?

I am a very impatient person, but I agree with the approach Tesla is taking with this. They are building the software for AP2 pretty much from scratch. By limiting the speed to 35, if things were to go wrong, the user has a better chance of correcting/avoiding an accident, which Tesla wants to avoid at all costs.

They need to gather lot of data to for their AP2 neural net, so it can get smarter about dealing with various situations. See this tweet from EM: Elon Musk on Twitter

The more data they gather, the better AP2 will become over time.