Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HW2 S90D just got 2.52.120.
The release notes just said 'bug fixes'. (I sure wish they'd publish details on every update; something might change that a driver sohuld know about!)

However, no user-apparent changes; the car is still as smart as a brick. :(

Me too I got 2.52.120 , I dont see any visible changes
No autopilot ,auto steer , no safety features , I assume it is in shadow mode

Finally had a chance to try auto steer in LA traffic. I was in the far right lane when activated. I must say it worked beautifully UNTIL I passed an exit. The car started to go in the way of the exit until I took over the steering wheel.

It did this at every exit ramp I passed

Shadow mode is live. Get out and drive!!

Twitter

upload_2017-1-16_19-56-17.png

Finally had a chance to try auto steer in LA traffic. I was in the far right lane when activated. I must say it worked beautifully UNTIL I passed an exit. The car started to go in the way of the exit until I took over the steering wheel.

It did this at every exit ramp I passed

This happened initially when AP1 rolled out. Later the cloud status updated and it seemed to stop taking the exits but this was an issue w AP1 initially too. Imagine we will have to wait a while for all these types of bugs to get fixed.

Reactions: BigTonyTones
New software to be downloaded to all HW2 cars ... this takes a while to get to all cars. Notes do not say much because the car's behaviour does not change - the software is running in the background, watching but not controlling. If all is well, it will be updated (switched on) by the dnd of the week ... likely with full notes describing it.

I commented on Reddit about this too... It reminds me a lot of how AP1 used to be when it was first activated. Tesla eventually fixed it. In 7.1 and 8.0 it's solid. I drove a good 100 miles in the right lane today and it ignored every single exit.
Ditto on that. I'm immediately reminded on how the early AP1 works (it also tries to take exits). I guess AP2 needs to go through a similar training stage (as it doesn't use the same dataset as AP1).

With the last update for AP1, I think the car's auto steering is much improved. It can now drive on narrow roads with poor lane markings, in bad weather when the lanes are barely visible and around fairly sharp turns without losing control. It even slows down slightly around the turns. We all hoped it would do highway exits when the turn signal or map told it to exit, but so far no luck. Maybe in the future.

With AP2, once it is self driving at 35 mph, can you use the accelerator pedal to go faster and have it keep self driving like we can in our AP1 cars.

No, when you accelerate above 35 mph, it alerts you that you have exceeded autosteers speed and to take over the wheel. You then have to re-engage autosteer once you drop back below 35 mph.

You can, however, always override the TACC with the accelerator which I often do when changing lanes. This does not disable the TACC.