Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the new update...

Attachments

• update.JPG
    update.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 119
  • update.JPG
    update.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 97
Have to say that if I was in a HW2 car I would be viewing this as another communication fail by Tesla.
I worry about this aspect of Tesla.

Lots of folks (most likely not on this forum) will have bought cars with Tesla AP functionality (without having a clue as to what HW1 and HW2 is) only to find that a) they don't have it yet and b)it could be as much as 6 months before they get it featured even as well as older cars.

I recall WK057 getting pretty irate as did others at the delays with AP1; and especially for people with lease cars they are literally paying monthly for features they dont have.

It also serves to convince me (rightly or wrongly) that following the spat with Mobileye, Tesla decided to get out of that dependency just as soon as they possibly could and maybe HW2.0 has come to market sooner than "Plan A" intended.

Perhaps of greater interest is at what point there is HW2.5.

I remain less than convinced that cameras plus one radar is a sufficient HW sensor suite. Very obviously this can only work in certain conditions including benign weather, clean cameras etc. I was expecting 3-5 radars too. Maybe this will come in time, and perhaps retrospectively HW2.0 will be viewed as an initial step onto the NVidia platform.

Totochi, please report back after you try the new update.
Couldn't sleep so went for a 15 mile test drive just now (started at 3:30am). The drive was a mix of local and freeway driving.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to report, other than my equalizer reset to +5.0 again. All I got was an error message that said "Autopilot Features Currently Unavailable. Manual Driving Required While Camera Is Calibrating" throughout the entire drive. Since the update installed TACC, I don't even have regular stupid cruise control. Maybe 4am is not the best time to calibrate cameras. Will trying again in daylight.

Also, I really don't like initial caps formatting.

Forward Collision Warning (future update to change log?):

A new active safety feature, Forward Collision Warning, is available with this release.
This feature will warn you when there is an object in your path and a collision is likely
unless you take corrective action.

A Forward Collision Warning will sound a chime and
highlight the vehicle in front of you in red in the instrument
panel.

If no correction action is taken by the driver, the sounds of crashing and exploding air bags
will take place followed by an automated call to Tesla road service.

Well, this is a bit of a bummer. I agree with others, this seems to provide another datapoint that hw2 was rushed because of the mobileeye spat. I recently traded in my hw1 car knowing that I would be in for a wait. We've got a road trip coming up at the end of the week and we'll be taking the X with hw1, which is a shame as taking the hw2 car would help with fleet learning.

We'll get there. But it's going to be painful. It will be hardest on Tesla's support reps who will have to explain to customers who bought AP right before the hw2 announcement and ended up with hw2 cars who weren't expecting the car to arrive without the features they paid for.

A