Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't sleep so went for a 15 mile test drive just now (started at 3:30am). The drive was a mix of local and freeway driving.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to report, other than my equalizer reset to +5.0 again. All I got was an error message that said "Autopilot Features Currently Unavailable. Manual Driving Required While Camera Is Calibrating" throughout the entire drive. Since the update installed TACC, I don't even have regular stupid cruise control. Maybe 4am is not the best time to calibrate cameras. Will trying again in daylight.

Also, I really don't like initial caps formatting.

Totochi, Wake up man! The sun's nearly up! I'll bet you're having a wonderful dream about calibrating cameras.

RT

Well, this is a bit of a bummer. I agree with others, this seems to provide another datapoint that hw2 was rushed because of the mobileeye spat. I recently traded in my hw1 car knowing that I would be in for a wait. We've got a road trip coming up at the end of the week and we'll be taking the X with hw1, which is a shame as taking the hw2 car would help with fleet learning.

We'll get there. But it's going to be painful. It will be hardest on Tesla's support reps who will have to explain to customers who bought AP right before the hw2 announcement and ended up with hw2 cars who weren't expecting the car to arrive without the features they paid for.

A

Those customers got thousands in hardware and future resale value. They will be just fine and can survive a couple months actually driving and enjoying the vehicle.

I'm sure they're easing in by doing the 35mph limit to make sure everything is working safe. I know everyone is anxious but if god forbid something went wrong and it there actually was an accident caused by the new autopilot it'll be bad for everyone.

Everyone take a deep breath and it'll get there. Better to do it safely. In the meantime you've got one of the best driving and safe cars out there so enjoy actually driving it. The features you've paid for will get there in time and will be even better than the old autopilot.

On my AP1.0 Model S, the "autopark" feature didn't work for several days - because it was "calibrating". For others however it took just a few hours to work.

Difference it would seem is that the autopark feature had an explicit notice that it needed calibration (in the Settings menu). The autosteer/TACC doesn't on AP2.0-cars?

I'm sure they're easing in by doing the 35mph limit to make sure everything is working safe. I know everyone is anxious but if god forbid something went wrong and it there actually was an accident caused by the new autopilot it'll be bad for everyone.

Everyone take a deep breath and it'll get there. Better to do it safely. In the meantime you've got one of the best driving and safe cars out there so enjoy actually driving it. The features you've paid for will get there in time and will be even better than the old autopilot.

@cdub - For folks in LA, it wouldn't matter even they set it to 25mph since we have heavy traffics anyway :-(. I think it is always great to take a slowly since safety is our highest priority. Also, I trust Tesla will appreciate not to have more bad news about its AP.

Reactions: cdub
@Kcain thanks for posting photos of the EAP release notes. I think they are a real improvement over the AP V1 release notes as they more clearly explain what the driver's responsibilities are. If Tesla had release notes like that for AP V1 they could have avoided a lot of negative publicity and maybe even prevented a few drivers from over relying on AP, to their detriment.
New Why are they calling this EAP when it doesn't do what AP1 did? I wonder if you didn't order EAP but are in under AP1 if you'll get this? Going to be a lot of happy people, and a lot of unhappy people if Tesla doesn't actually split AP1 on HW2 and EAP...
As others have pointed out, since EAP was announced Tesla has been clear that it was going to take some time for it to come up to the level of AP V1 but that over time it would exceed it. First they need a lot of miles driven with EAP cars so they can accumulate real world data to fine tune the new sensor suite.
We'll get there. But it's going to be painful. It will be hardest on Tesla's support reps who will have to explain to customers who bought AP right before the hw2 announcement and ended up with hw2 cars who weren't expecting the car to arrive without the features they paid for
True, but those people received cars with valuable additional hardware (and a new onboard computer) for free, and their cars will be more valuable at resale. If I were one of those people I certainly would not complain about that. But no doubt some people will complain because they are unable to see past their own immediate need for gratification.

So my 2 day old S90D will have to potentially wait almost 2 years for AP features to be activated by my back of the napkin, slightly hungover calculations. Great.

1000 AP2 activations, with (maybe) a 50% participation given the language used in the release notes WRT warnings and 35 mph speed limit.

So 500 cars at 35 mph is 17500 miles travelled in an hour.

"Hundreds of millions" of miles need to be road verified before rolling out to the "fleet". Assuming that's 300 million miles, I figure 1.9 years from now (714 days) I'll finally reap the benefits of the safe Tesla Autopilot driving experience.

Okay, assumptions and hangover aside, I sure hope I'm wrong. I don't have that amount of patience.

So my 2 day old S90D will have to potentially wait almost 2 years for AP features to be activated by my back of the napkin, slightly hungover calculations. Great.

1000 AP2 activations, with (maybe) a 50% participation given the language used in the release notes WRT warnings and 35 mph speed limit.

So 500 cars at 35 mph is 17500 miles travelled in an hour.

"Hundreds of millions" of miles need to be road verified before rolling out to the "fleet". Assuming that's 300 million miles, I figure 1.9 years from now (714 days) I'll finally reap the benefits of the safe Tesla Autopilot driving experience.

Okay, assumptions and hangover aside, I sure hope I'm wrong. I don't have that amount of patience.
Wrong assumptions. After the first 1000 cars have it for a week or so without problems, the update will roll out to the rest of the fleet. That's when the hundreds of millions of miles really start adding up.

[QUOTE="Joe F, post: 1896898, member: 52662"
"Hundreds of millions" of miles need to be road verified before rolling out to the "fleet".[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that Autopilot data collection is always running in the background as long as the car has the hardware regardless of whether Autopilot is enabled or not. I think "Hundreds of millions" of miles refers to all miles driven by cars that have Autopilot HW2.

I got the update last night. Dec 7th delivery. LA (Van Nuys pickup).

I'm ok with the slow roll out. Tesla has to ensure they have it right and we have to be patient to receive the MOST advance technology in cars today. Our cars improve with age - when does that ever happen? If you want to speed the process up - keep driving your Teslas - they are always learning and improving. The ICE cars in your driveway doesn't do that.

Happy New Year to all of you! and Especially Tesla and Elon Musk - Go Elon - Keep leading the charge! Onward and Upward!

I got the update last night. Dec 7th delivery. LA (Van Nuys pickup).

I'm ok with the slow roll out. Tesla has to ensure they have it right and we have to be patient to receive the MOST advance technology in cars today. Our cars improve with age - when does that ever happen? If you want to speed the process up - keep driving your Teslas - they are always learning and improving. The ICE cars in your driveway doesn't do that.

Happy New Year to all of you! and Especially Tesla and Elon Musk - Go Elon - Keep leading the charge! Onward and Upward!

Is your AP working properly or are you getting the same camera calibration as others?

My understanding is that Autopilot data collection is always running in the background as long as the car has the hardware regardless of whether Autopilot is enabled or not. I think "Hundreds of millions" of miles refers to all miles driven by cars that have Autopilot HW2.

Now that makes more sense. Hope that's correct.

Okay fellow AP2 owners, time to hit the highways :)

Back to the hair of the dog.

• Informative
Reactions: Duke-U and cdub
Just tweeted...

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 2m2 minutes ago
HW2 Autopilot software uploading to 1000 cars this eve. Will then hold to verify no field issues and upload to rest of fleet next week.

1 reply 14 retweets 47 likes

I replied back to Elon on Twitter asking for clarification of "next week". :p Does that mean 01/01/17 - 01/07/17 or 01/08/17 - 01/14/17?
Has anyone reported getting the update ?

I checked my car this morning. Looks like I got the update too. Installing now. I have a S75 with EAP. Took delivery 12/17 in Costa Mesa. Expecting the same as everyone else here, but will let you know if anything is different.

One thing I can't figure out is why my tesla app doesn't tell me when there is an update waiting, I have that notification enabled on all three devices but I never get one. Have to go to the car to see / check.

Last edited:
Yes, at least 2 forum members have reported the update here. Unfortunately the first was not working properly, but it may have been due to attempting to use it at night on the initial test. The second person has not chimed in on functionality.

Has anyone reported getting the update ?

I checked my car this morning. Looks like I got the update too. Installing now. I have a S75 with EAP. Took delivery 12/17 in Costa Mesa. Expecting the same as everyone else here, but will let you know if anything is different.

One thing I can't figure out is why my tesla app doesn't tell me when there is an updating waiting, I have that notification enabled on all three devices but I never get one. Have to go to the car to see / check.

WAIT WAIT A SECOND HERE!!! So you're telling me that even though I have not received a notification, there is still a chance that when I get back home on Tuesday night I might have an update waiting for me? :p

I'm in the Phoenix are though, and it sounds like all the cars getting the update are in California. I can still hope though. :)

WAIT WAIT A SECOND HERE!!! So you're telling me that even though I have not received a notification, there is still a chance that when I get back home on Tuesday night I might have an update waiting for me? :p

I'm in the Phoenix are though, and it sounds like all the cars getting the update are in California. I can still hope though. :)

I got no notification, but there was an update there..... good luck!