Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial trailer pulling report - 90D and Airstream 22ft Bambi Sport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumption was indeed in the 700 to 800s. I believe there is about 5000 feet of elevation gain on that route.
View attachment 313274

OK. That makes more sense with the elevation change. Just ran my combo through EVTripPlanner (you can set up custom parameters to model trips with trailer pulling). On the same route I would use ~680Wh/mi where flat I only use ~485Wh/mi. So your 700-800's with the Airstream makes sense.

As for the awkward charging...been there...done that
Tin Poodle: To unhitch or not unhitch...that is the question...

My concern with the Bambi is the single axle and the effects of a blow out resulting in a Bambi on its side flopping around behind a Model X. Perhaps if they had run flat tires and TPMS for the trailer and with alarms in Model X otherwise I would rather see multiple axles

Perhaps if they had run flat tires and TPMS for the trailer and with alarms in Model X otherwise I would rather see multiple axles
I use the FOBO Bike app with battery powered tire pressure monitors as tire valve caps to monitor my trailer tire pressure while traveling.

Dual axles increase rolling resistance which increases energy consumption while towing compared to a single axle. But I agree dual axles are safer if a tire loses pressure rapidly.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and ohmman
I use the FOBO Bike app with battery powered tire pressure monitors as tire valve caps to monitor my trailer tire pressure while traveling.

Dual axles increase rolling resistance which increases energy consumption while towing compared to a single axle. But I agree dual axles are safer if a tire loses pressure rapidly.
I missed or forgot that you were using those sensors. I'll be following your lead. Great idea.

Another benefit of dual axles is that it's much easier to lock them together to "chock" the trailer in place. Using simple chocks on a single axle is less reliable (though generally fine).

I have a single axel trailer and the $99 FOBO bike sensor sounds like a great idea. These are meant for motorcycles but I take it they work on any two wheeled vehicle? With a maximum pressure of 116psi I take it they will work on vehicle tires? Would you recommend I buy FOBO BIKE 2? Thanks...

Yes aftermarket portable TPMS for me would be a must. But sometimes you could be in a position where you can't pull over. Worst case scenario would be going fast in a tunnel with traffic.

Well maybe yet another solution would be a second set of wheels and axles (Perhaps smaller if weight saving is a major concern) normally are not in contact with the ground perhaps an inch or so off the ground but can pivot down when rapid depressurization happens. That way you have little tire wear, have the ability to chock when parked, and like in an inline skate while going over a obstacle the raised tire helps like a ramp. You don't have to worry about where to store a spare tire as you always have two spares ready to go instantly. But I was reading about the Avion trailers which have triple axles and they apparently tow extremely nicely and supposedly are less prone to trailer sway.

In the case of a triple axle with power to some or all of the wheels, you would have almost tank like ability to get the trailer over things.

Small trailers with single axels do not normally tip over when they get low pressure. Blow outs usually result in it just dragging on the ground.
Towing usually requires slowing down to 55 MPH in most states. This also reduces risk.

If using single axels a prudent person should use properly inflated high quality tires. Good idea to check bearing temps (with your hand) every time you stop.

With an electric vehicle, minimizing aero and physical drag is high priority. That is why the minimum number of axels comes into play.

Reactions: ohmman
I think run flat tires with TPMS would be important for me (no idea if they are applicable to trailers) Double Axles or Triple Axles are just a bit more insurance. Unlike so many other people driving across straight roads, I'm more often than not on twisting winding slick roads and of course a blow out rarely happens on a slow straight road in beautiful weather with no traffic..... a blow out might just drag me off a cliff.

Biggest issue here is that OP wants to pull with a Tesla sedan, equipped with a 90 kW battery. He needs to optimize his mechanical and aerodynamic drag, otherwise will need to stop often to recharge.

If he was pulling with a large gas or Diesel engine, then multiple axles would be more appropriate.

I have a single axel trailer and the $99 FOBO bike sensor sounds like a great idea. These are meant for motorcycles but I take it they work on any two wheeled vehicle?
Yes, although the app is marketed at motorcyclists of course the sensors can be placed on any tire valve stem on any vehicle. They give real time pressure AND tire air temperature readings.
Would you recommend I buy FOBO BIKE 2?
Yes that is the name of the app I have. See https://my-fobo.com/product-family/FOBO_Bike_2

Last edited: