Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial trailer pulling report - 90D and Airstream 22ft Bambi Sport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you charging at RV parks?
Yes. We are learning about park etiquette on charging as well. We first thought that if we were at a 50 amp site, we could use both the 30 amp hookup for the trailer and the 50 amp for the car (with the 14-50 Tesla adaptor) but soon realized that this overloaded the circuitry of the hookup. We have now taken to charging the car first, hooking up the shore power to the trailer later to run it overnight (because it is needed to run my CPAP machine), and finishing up charging the car in the morning if needed. I hope to be an old pro at the trailer scene by the time we finish our next trip.
This charging at the campsite means we could travel 225-250 miles a day if we wanted to (in coordination with superchargers), but we aren't really interested in traveling that far generally, on a daily basis. It certainly could be done though by those who want to.

There are several screens showing energy usage. My major takeaway thus far is that speed kills. The slower we drive (we tried 45 mph, 50 mph, 55 mph) and our energy usage increased immensely with higher speed. This seems to bear out the numbers we have seen from the folks crossing Canada with their trailer (teslaxcanada.com)

Can you let us know what speeds you were driving on the different energy usage screens? And how much it increased as you went from 45 to 50 to 55?

Can you let us know what speeds you were driving on the different energy usage screens? And how much it increased as you went from 45 to 50 to 55?
Unfortunately for data purposes, I was not systematic about the screens and the driving speeds. Silke and Rolf at teslaxcanada.com have been more systematic on their trip across Canada with their trailer. They have some specifics at FAQ. They also did a test at various speeds in the driving rain with a stiff headwind and their results are on one of the videos. I will be testing on a more systematic basis on our next trip. Stay tuned.

Yes. We are learning about park etiquette on charging as well. We first thought that if we were at a 50 amp site, we could use both the 30 amp hookup for the trailer and the 50 amp for the car (with the 14-50 Tesla adaptor) but soon realized that this overloaded the circuitry of the hookup. We have now taken to charging the car first, hooking up the shore power to the trailer later to run it overnight (because it is needed to run my CPAP machine), and finishing up charging the car in the morning if needed.

Rather than do this plug/unplug dance, why not keave the car plugged in all night, but just turn down the amps from 40 to 20 or 30. That should be fine unless your RV has the A/C running.

It would be nice if Tesla subcontracted someone to make a trailer with a built in Tesla battery. It could double the usable range and you could charge both by backing the trailer into a single SC spot. It could also power the features of the trailer of course.
Darn it, I was going to say that! Unfortunately the battery would add considerably to the trailer's price. Maybe a few years down the road if the Gigafactory makes it, we'll see battery prices drop enough for this to happen. Hope so!

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Yes. We are learning about park etiquette on charging as well. We first thought that if we were at a 50 amp site, we could use both the 30 amp hookup for the trailer and the 50 amp for the car (with the 14-50 Tesla adaptor) but soon realized that this overloaded the circuitry of the hookup. We have now taken to charging the car first, hooking up the shore power to the trailer later to run it overnight (because it is needed to run my CPAP machine), and finishing up charging the car in the morning if needed. I hope to be an old pro at the trailer scene by the time we finish our next trip.
This charging at the campsite means we could travel 225-250 miles a day if we wanted to (in coordination with superchargers), but we aren't really interested in traveling that far generally, on a daily basis. It certainly could be done though by those who want to.
From personal experience and at the rv campsite I was in, both the 30 amp and 50 amp were accessible together if you draw the 50 amp to 32 amp. Our Airstream a/c was running at the same time.

Definitely gonna follow your progress and adventures with the Bambi. I love, love Airstreams, but the weight is just too much. Even when we had our VW Touareg TDI, we were hesitant.

Here's a great alternative, but it definitely looks like something to consider in the future...

Safari Condo

A little less than 1600 lbs and under $26k, but for 3-4 occupants only. I wonder if my S90D could pull this off...

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Definitely gonna follow your progress and adventures with the Bambi. I love, love Airstreams, but the weight is just too much. Even when we had our VW Touareg TDI, we were hesitant.

Here's a great alternative, but it definitely looks like something to consider in the future...

Safari Condo

A little less than 1600 lbs and under $26k, but for 3-4 occupants only. I wonder if my S90D could pull this off...
Check out Rolf and Silke who are traveling across Canada at this moment, pulling a Safari Condo Alto trailer with their P90D at Promoting Sustainable Energy & Transportation

Reactions: jboy08
It would be nice if Tesla subcontracted someone to make a trailer with a built in Tesla battery. It could double the usable range and you could charge both by backing the trailer into a single SC spot. It could also power the features of the trailer of course.
I've been vocal for years saying that this is a dumb idea (what do I know, anyway) for various reasons like added weight, additional heating/cooling, structural requirements for safety (in an accident), cost, etc.. I've always said that it would be much more simple/easier/cheaper to include more batteries in the existing enclosure than have two separate ones.

However, at a town hall meeting in the past 6 months, Elon said that he was thinking about this exact concept. I think Tesla would build it themselves (but obviously use a lot of third-party hardware, just like in their vehicles).

In my search for the video, I instead found this article that indicated that while Tesla considered a trailer full of batteries, they dismissed it as not feasible. Then I found this article that came out the same day that said, "the notion of a tag-along trailer with an auxiliary battery makes a lot of sense for those times when people are driving long distances". I'm not sure what to think at this point, but it was the town hall that the latter article referenced that I was thinking of.

Any updates? I'm in the market for a model x with travel trailer. But not sure the effect on a light trailer compare to a Max 5000lb trailer. I was told that the weight alone doesn't make a big different, it is the wind draft and the shape of trailer .

We are leaving on a long trip with the trailer tomorrow. To see more over the next few months you can check out Electric Adventures - The West | Facebook.
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg

Agreed, I don't have FB either so please keep posting on TMC.
We will! First leg is 113 miles to Gold Beach, Oregon. If I don't think we will make it with the initial charge, we will charge in Brookings, OR. I'm hoping to make it in one charge. It is unfortunate for us that the new supercharger in Crescent City, CA is not quite ready yet, but it will be very soon. There is a Chademo charger available in Brookings though, and I'm hoping to use the new supercharger in Lincoln City, OR in the next week if it is available.