Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initiate OTA Firmware update from App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the features I understood was part of v9 (which I have - 2018.39.6) was that you would be able to receive notifications of vehicle firmware updates and initiate them via the Tesla mobile app instead of having to go the vehicle itself. I have the current-latest version of the Tesla app as well (3.6.1).

Cool. But when the next update (which I presume is a 9.1 build) was available, I didn’t see anything in the Tesla app. I didn’t even see the notice that an update was available. It’s possible I missed the notifcation I suppose, but I was definitely keeping an eye out.

There was nothing in the app itself that I could see that would allow me to schedule or initiate the update - or even to see an update was available.

However, when I got in my car this morning, there was the usual in-car prompting of an update and scheduling. The same old way as all pre-9.0 firmware initiation.

AFTER I entered a start schedule for the update from the car, then the Tesla app shows an entry with the scheduled date/time and allows me to start (from the app) the update immediately if I wish.

Can someone tell me:

1) Is this just an unlucky glitch for me and everyone else (with 9.0) was able to initiate the update completely from the Tesla app without having to do anything in-car?

2) If you were able to intiate completely from the app, were you able to schedule a particular time to start it?

3) Is there a way (from the App) to see a firmware update is available if you had missed the in-app notification?

I was also surprised to see that even when I could see in the app my scheduled (front the car) time to do the update, I couldn’t change the time from the app. From the app the only option was to do it immediately or wait for the (in-car) scheduled time to occur. Is this what everyone else is seeing as well?

Thanks in advance. Maybe everything is working as it should, but just curious as my personal expectation about the uasability of this feature was a bit different than what I am seeing.

I've now had two updates that I started from the app (Android). It shows up above the "phone key" menu item.

I have the iPhone app and I don't have a Model 3, so no 'phone key' menu item for me. Anyone with a Model S/X out there that can show me a screenshot of the iPhone app initiating/scheduling the update?

Maybe it will work next time for me. Hopefully!