Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initiative 976

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive EVs because I think cleaner transportation is important, and the light rail does more to make transportation cleaner than thousands of EVs. I don't mind paying more to support it.
I ended up voting yes. I still support funding Sound Transit. However, I really had a problem with the new $75 fee for hybrids and the $150 fee for electric cars. Hybrids and electrics cost more than traditional ICE vehicles => the state is getting additional sales tax revenue for the hybrid and electric options that offsets any loss in gas taxes.

Reactions: wenkan and nwdiver
I ended up voting yes. I still support funding Sound Transit. However, I really had a problem with the new $75 fee for hybrids and the $150 fee for electric cars. Hybrids and electrics cost more than traditional ICE vehicles => the state is getting additional sales tax revenue for the hybrid and electric options that offsets any loss in gas taxes.

Be interesting to see what percentage of people voted 'yes' would have voted 'no' if not for the absurd EV fee which was scheduled to be jacked to $350.... I like to think it was the EV fee that really put it over the top. The fact a progressive state allowed such an onerous fee on EVs to pass when EV penetration is <50% is embarrassing. At some point EVs need to help pay for the roads but use road funding to help strangle ICE first.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Be interesting to see what percentage of people voted 'yes' would have voted 'no' if not for the absurd EV fee which was scheduled to be jacked to $350.... I like to think it was the EV fee that really put it over the top. The fact a progressive state allowed such an onerous fee on EVs to pass when EV penetration is <50% is embarrassing. At some point EVs need to help pay for the roads but use road funding to help strangle ICE first.
I don’t think it was EV fee because most of them are in King county and it voted no.

Reactions: bbthechange
I have no problem with the EV fee. It compensates for the revenue of the gas tax that we don't pay.

Until the fools fuel addicts start paying for the damage they're doing to our future they should at least have the decency to pay 100% for the roads. EVs can start helping to fund roads AFTER there's a carbon tax... until then raise the tax on fools fuel to fund roads....

I have no problem with the EV fee. It compensates for the revenue of the gas tax that we don't pay.
I think the best way to convey this is to have it be a separate "road maintenance" line item for all drivers. Gas and EV. Keep the gas tax in place as a sin tax, though. Also, base it on vehicle weight since that's the biggest contributor to road damage. Cars, pickup trucks, even heavy EVs, pay a few bucks a year. Commercial vehicles and semis pay thousands. Remember, they do all the harm to the roads, but we all pay to fix them. I don't care if the price of a furby goes up as a result. Use more trains!

*ducks from all the tomatoes being thrown*

Reactions: bbthechange
I was so conflicted on this initiative. I live out in the Enumclaw / Maple Valley area, and the roads out here have seen pretty much zero expansion in capacity in the last 30 years. Yeah, they've added a lane in places to 169, i.e. the four-corners area of Maple Valley, but that does nothing to actually increase capacity north bound when there are miles of road that are still just two lanes. Highway 18 is still the same death trap it has been for decades, and there are really no other alternatives if you want to go north bound.

I think the problem most people have is that they see these high gas taxes and car tabs, and have no idea where that money goes. In my case, I see zero evidence of any of that going to help my commute in the last 30 years despite massive population growth and traffic out here, so why would I support more of it? People are obviously willing to pay for improvements, i.e. ST3. Show us what we have purchased with that money.

Likewise though, with this initiative apparently passing, I suspect we will now see an increased push for an alternative pay-by-mile type system. I see that turning into something similar to the 405 tolling lanes, with expensive outside monitoring and a questionable at best return to the tax payers.

Fixing the valuation issue is all that was needed. Now the state/local governments will be severely budget constrained and won't be able to keep up with basic maintenance of infrastructure let alone the fact that ST3 won't have anywhere near adequate funding going forward. I happily voted no on this despite the $1400 tab on my Model S because I want light rail to expand in Seattle, and I (and my 21s) want the d*mn potholes repaired. This was finally an equitable and progressive tax in a state ranked worst in regressive taxation.

I had read that this initiative would likely be fought in the courts, but I am not sure how that would work. Clearly there must be restrictions on whether an initiative should be allowed if it passes otherwise an initiative eliminating all taxation in the state would not be outside the realm of possibility.
As has been shown already this state has a 4 billion dollar surplus which will cover maintenance. I do agree this could have been avoided but alas here we are because the stupid politicians who refused to correct it.

Well it didn’t take long for Dow Constantine to jump on overturning the will of the people.

King County to file lawsuit over passage of $30 car tabs initiative

If the will of the people was an initiative that was not legal to pass, then the people's will has no say.

Also, King County wants the higher tabs that we voted on years ago to fund local transportation projects. How is the will of the people of Spokane County allowed to take away funding for our local projects?

Last edited:
If the will of the people was an initiative that was not legal to pass, then the people's will has no say.

Also, King County wants the higher tabs that we voted on years ago to fund local transportation projects. How is the will of the people of Spokane County allowed to take away funding for our local projects?
Actually it’s the citizens of the whole state in ALL counties that voted yes, some by huge margins. Only King County voted NO by about 10%

Reactions: wenkan
I'm confused. Do the proposed changes to current RCW detailed in section 5 of this initiative mean that EVs will be charged an additional $30 fee on top of the standard $30 registration fee?

"...must require the applicant to pay a ((one hundred dollar fee in addition to any other fees and taxes required by law)) $30 fee. The ((one hundred thirty dollar)) $30 fee is due only at the time of annual registration renewal."

(Red text in the above quote is struck-through in the initiative text.)

This initiative appears to be heading for victory, but it's apparently not going to help any of us at all. I would have liked to have seen the $150 fee for owning an EV reduced or eliminated but this initiative only affects the base fee unfortunately. Sucks that we're paying so much more money for trying to save our environment, which is exactly the opposite of how you want to encourage adoption of EVs.

Reactions: wenkan
This initiative appears to be heading for victory, but it's apparently not going to help any of us at all. I would have liked to have seen the $150 fee for owning an EV reduced or eliminated but this initiative only affects the base fee unfortunately. Sucks that we're paying so much more money for trying to save our environment, which is exactly the opposite of how you want to encourage adoption of EVs.

Sure seems like it DOES repeal the idiotic EV fee...

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 7.14.49 PM.png

I'm confused. Do the proposed changes to current RCW detailed in section 5 of this initiative mean that EVs will be charged an additional $30 fee on top of the standard $30 registration fee?

"...must require the applicant to pay a ((one hundred dollar fee in addition to any other fees and taxes required by law)) $30 fee. The ((one hundred thirty dollar)) $30 fee is due only at the time of annual registration renewal."

(Red text in the above quote is struck-through in the initiative text.)

The whole premise was to simplify the registration cost. The strike-through is what's being replaced. Instead of $100 + other fees it's now $30. That's it. $30.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 7.19.03 PM.png

Last edited: