Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Input for A Better Route Planner settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
I have made a few statewide trips using a ABRP. Now I am planning my first cross country in MY LR. I am looking for input regarding settings you might have used to minimize time but not get too low on the battery in case an issue with the charging station.

I tell it for not less than 18% for a charge stop and not less than 10% at a destination. My current wh/mi at 65mph ABRP has been running at 303 but I might have done enough towing to skew that. I normally am driving about 75 mph.

Any other tips on using ABRP for really long trip? I will be going from Florida to the Bay Area with a stop in Dallas over New Years.

Any other tips on using ABRP for really long trip? I will be going from Florida to the Bay Area with a stop in Dallas over New Years.
If you want to use the preheating feature before arriving to a Supercharger, to save time when charging,
this feature is activated only when you choose this Supercharger as a final destination.

If you use the trip navigation, and a Supercharger is included in the generated itinerary list,​
the preheating will not be activated.​
I don't know exactly how long time in advance the preheating occurs, but in general I change my navigation​
from full trip to Supercharger destination about 30 minutes or 30 miles in advance.​

I spent a lot of time using ABRP in advance to optimize my trip itinerary but during the trip I mostly rely on the Tesla navigation,
because the Tesla energy consumption is very great a determining when you should stop at a Supercharger. As you mentioned,
there are so many parameters, such as weather temperature and wind direction, elevation, traffic, but mostly speed, affecting the consumption.

I area with low density of Superchargers, don't skip any of them, because you never know what could happen, such as an accident​
keeping you stranded or forcing you to make a log detour. In this type of locations, I always charge like to 80% and never go below 25%.
In some areas the speed limit is 80 miles/h, so this means that every one drives like 85 miles/h and above... affecting strongly the consumption.​
I would recommend looking at the location of any Superchargers on your itinerary, even those that you don't plan to stop by.

Using Tesla.com/Findus right on the link "Driving Direction" on any Supercharger. This will open a Google map.​
I like to analyze by myself how to access and exit from a Supercharger using "Google Direction".​
The Tesla Navigation often makes you doing some complicated detours. This might not the case in rural areas,​
but this quite common in urban areas. (For example, when exiting a Superchager, the navigation, if you are going East,​
will only looks toward the East, while there might be an exit on the West just one block away.)​
Make a list in advance of the 250 kWh Superchargers, as the Tesla navigation doesn’t try to use those as a priority.​
Look at the amenities when selecting a Superchager, and check the opening and closing time. This is important​
especially if you need to find a restroom. In general I choose to stay close to Supermarkets as thoses are often​
open for extra hours.​

I know, you save time by charging often and not above 60%, however if you have passengers, they would often like
to spend extra time shopping or eating. In this case, this will be the occasion to get a full charge, this will often occur in fact.

If you have FSD, I found the automatic lane change very practical and relaxing, especially after passing a big truck
when you try to go back to the right lane, as the rear visibility is not that great. But I prefer to control myself this feature
using the turn signal, and I don't like to have FSD trying to constantly changing lane to stay at the setting speed.

If you want to use the preheating feature before arriving to a Supercharger, to save time when charging,
this feature is activated only when you choose this Supercharger as a final destination.

If you use the trip navigation, and a Supercharger is included in the generated itinerary list,​
That has not been my experience. The "preconditioning battery for fast charging" pops up for me when a supercharger is not the final destination, too.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

I don't know exactly how long time in advance the preheating occurs, but in general I change my navigation​
from full trip to Supercharger destination about 30 minutes or 30 miles in advance.​

I spent a lot of time using ABRP in advance to optimize my trip itinerary but during the trip I mostly rely on the Tesla navigation,
because the Tesla energy consumption is very great a determining when you should stop at a Supercharger. As you mentioned,
there are so many parameters, such as weather temperature and wind direction, elevation, traffic, but mostly speed, affecting the consumption.

I area with low density of Superchargers, don't skip any of them, because you never know what could happen, such as an accident​
keeping you stranded or forcing you to make a log detour. In this type of locations, I always charge like to 80% and never go below 25%.
In some areas the speed limit is 80 miles/h, so this means that every one drives like 85 miles/h and above... affecting strongly the consumption.​
I would recommend looking at the location of any Superchargers on your itinerary, even those that you don't plan to stop by.

Using Tesla.com/Findus right on the link "Driving Direction" on any Supercharger. This will open a Google map.​
I like to analyze by myself how to access and exit from a Supercharger using "Google Direction".​
The Tesla Navigation often makes you doing some complicated detours. This might not the case in rural areas,​
but this quite common in urban areas. (For example, when exiting a Superchager, the navigation, if you are going East,​
will only looks toward the East, while there might be an exit on the West just one block away.)​
Make a list in advance of the 250 kWh Superchargers, as the Tesla navigation doesn’t try to use those as a priority.​
Look at the amenities when selecting a Superchager, and check the opening and closing time. This is important​
especially if you need to find a restroom. In general I choose to stay close to Supermarkets as thoses are often​
open for extra hours.​

I know, you save time by charging often and not above 60%, however if you have passengers, they would often like
to spend extra time shopping or eating. In this case, this will be the occasion to get a full charge, this will often occur in fact.

If you have FSD, I found the automatic lane change very practical and relaxing, especially after passing a big truck
when you try to go back to the right lane, as the rear visibility is not that great. But I prefer to control myself this feature
using the turn signal, and I don't like to have FSD trying to constantly changing lane to stay at the setting speed.
What a great response. There is some very good Tesla "road-tripping" advice here.