Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Input on Founder's Model S Potential Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ostrichsak I'm optimistic about Roadster values in the future because it's total production volume was so much lower (~2500 total, globally), but I'm unsure if S's will see collector status because it's a sold at reasonably high volume. Maybe a perfect condition, low mileage, Founder's Model S in Sig Red, signed by Elon, with a brand new battery pack. Maybe.

That said, Model S residual values have been great compared to 5-series, E-class, A6/A7, etc.... and a 2012 Model S is still more capable (and possibly advanced) than a good percentage of all new cars in 2020. The "enthusiast" versions such as P85+ & P85D's seem to retain higher residuals, but they were also more expensive cars to begin with

@Ostrichsak I'm optimistic about Roadster values in the future because it's total production volume was so much lower (~2500 total, globally), but I'm unsure if S's will see collector status because it's a sold at reasonably high volume. Maybe a perfect condition, low mileage, Founder's Model S in Sig Red, signed by Elon, with a brand new battery pack. Maybe.

That said, Model S residual values have been great compared to 5-series, E-class, A6/A7, etc.... and a 2012 Model S is still more capable (and possibly advanced) than a good percentage of all new cars in 2020. The "enthusiast" versions such as P85+ & P85D's seem to retain higher residuals, but they were also more expensive cars to begin with

Limited production isn't the only factor when it comes to collectability but it helps. That said, all-time Model S production is still fractional compared to production numbers of most manufacturers these days. Especially early on it was assembled in tents by humans and was extremely limited in terms of production numbers.

Cars that have appeal and/or mark large changes in how cars are made moving forward tend to draw more attention from collectors. Cars that evoke emotion and passion end up in posters on teenage kid's walls & sought after down the road. The Model S fits the typical criteria of what a collector vehicle will be later on.

I still don't get how anyone can objectively look at this and say definitively that this car has no possible chance of becoming a collector's car. You have to take real leap of faith to stare in the face of historic facts and say... "Nope, not possible" and feel so sure about it that your compelled to post in a public forum.