TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insane insurance difference between 85 and P85D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by austintexas, Sep 21, 2015.

1. austintexas

austintexas Member

I know there have been threads about insurance costs, but I found this really interesting.

We're picking up our 2014 S 85 CPO tomorrow, so I called our Farmer's agent (Texas) to have him add it.

Using the VIN #, his first quote was nearly $3,500 per year for the Tesla. Right now we pay about $1600/year to insure two cars, although the most valuable of the cars is probably $25k.

He sent me the insurance card and it showed our car as a P85D. I informed him it's actually just the 85 and they reran it.

New annual price: just $750!

I assume it was hard to value a 2014 P85D since they aren't on the CPO market, and perhaps less history with the vehicle weighed in. But perhaps the idea that the P85D is so fast also affects rates?

Thought it was really interesting, and went from having a heart attack about the insurance costs to elated.

2. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

FWIW it took my State Farm rep four tries to get it right. First they couldn't find the P85D at all due to the slight change to show AWD in the VIN. Then it was labeled wrong. I still think I am paying too much, but it's not far out of line from what others say.

Just hope I never have to test it out..

3. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I guess there is more than just the acceleration that is ludicrous about the P85D!

4. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

interesting, i recently called AAA to ask about the p85d vs 85d insurance difference. what they told me was p85d is $1,929. and 70D is $1,992

5. McMuggets

McMuggets Member

In Canada here my P85D is super cheap because it is viewed as super safe and AWD gives it that much extra "safety". In fact my insurance went down from the Subaru I was driving! Real weird.

6. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Ameriprise, through Costco, is VERY reasonable for the 70D. AAA currently is at least 20% higher.

7. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

I was an Allstate customer for about a decade but had to drop them because they view the 85D and P85D as 'high performance' cars. I'm not sure about RWD and other batteries.

Progressive was the best quote I received so be sure to check them out. I have three cars so it's a little tricky to say without the documents in front of me but I want to say the rate for just the Tesla with very high coverage levels is about $350 per 6 months.

8. DougH

DougH Active Member

Geico raised my rate from $600 every 6 months to $1200 every 6, why?...they said because of all the high repair claims it had received over the last two years.

Switched to Nationwide and I now pay $775 every 6.

9. tom66

tom66 Member

Curious if you'd have to inform your insurer if you had the Ludicrous upgrade installed on an Insane P85D, or if the rates would be different between P90DL and P90D/P85D...

10. liuping

liuping Active Member

When did they raised your rate to $1200? My last bill was in August and they still charged about $600 for the Model S 85 at that point.

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Check Wawanesa. They make no distinction between the S and the P. Yes, I confirmed this with one of their CSRs after finding it a bit odd as part of the web-driven quote process. This is a bonus for P owners, clearly.

Speaking of AAA, at least in SoCal and specifically in LA County, it does not appear that they want to insure Model Ses. Not only was their quote the highest non-stated/replacement value quote I'd received to date, but fully $2800/yr of it was for collision coverage. In fact, that AAA line item alone was more than double what I pay Wawanesa for a full year of solid coverage with a $500 deductible. I'd prefer a higher deductible, but their max is $500, fwiw.

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

My AAA/CSAA just came up for renewal. My P85D was $731 / year this last year but just went to $1200 / year. It had been cheaper than my Prius which is around $800 / year.

13. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

If you're a Costco member, try their auto insurance program. Let us know how that stacks up against CSAA. I suspect CSAA and ACSC are the same Interinsurance Exchange.

14. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

What sort of coverage and deductibles do you have on the cars for these prices? It seems hard to compare when you don't list those, as premiums vary a lot based on deductibles and liability limits, etc. Thanks.

15. DougH

DougH Active Member

April, I also had a P85D not 85. Huge price difference.

16. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

Sorka how old are you? i think age is a factor here. Most people i talk to under the age of 35 paid arms and legs for Model S insurance.

17. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I'm 32, and pay what I think is reasonable given the cost of repairs and the HP of the car.

e-surance, and I'll look it up after my next meeting.

Gotta check the forums between meetings!

18. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

NJM (in NJ/PA only) has excellent pricing. It's only $36/month more than a Ford Escape. And they also pay back dividends every year, so you get a small piece of that back.

You just have to be employed by the state or federal government, a NJ Business & Industry Association company, or have a resident family member using it.

19. sorka

sorka Active Member

20. DougH

DougH Active Member

I just got a quote from Wawnesa. Nationwide was cheaper by a few $100.

One thing to keep in mind is what your insurance company will pay if you wreck your car. Most insurance companies, not all, will only pay standard shop rates around $50 an hour. Tesla certified shops normally charge around $125.

I made sure to talk to my local Tesla repair shop to find which company pays without a battle. Geico and Nationwide do.....Farmers, Allstate, State Farm and Esurance do not.....you have to pay the difference.