Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane insurance difference between 85 and P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there have been threads about insurance costs, but I found this really interesting.

We're picking up our 2014 S 85 CPO tomorrow, so I called our Farmer's agent (Texas) to have him add it.

Using the VIN #, his first quote was nearly $3,500 per year for the Tesla. Right now we pay about $1600/year to insure two cars, although the most valuable of the cars is probably $25k.

He sent me the insurance card and it showed our car as a P85D. I informed him it's actually just the 85 and they reran it.

New annual price: just $750!

I assume it was hard to value a 2014 P85D since they aren't on the CPO market, and perhaps less history with the vehicle weighed in. But perhaps the idea that the P85D is so fast also affects rates?

Thought it was really interesting, and went from having a heart attack about the insurance costs to elated.

FWIW it took my State Farm rep four tries to get it right. First they couldn't find the P85D at all due to the slight change to show AWD in the VIN. Then it was labeled wrong. I still think I am paying too much, but it's not far out of line from what others say.

Just hope I never have to test it out..

I was an Allstate customer for about a decade but had to drop them because they view the 85D and P85D as 'high performance' cars. I'm not sure about RWD and other batteries.

Progressive was the best quote I received so be sure to check them out. I have three cars so it's a little tricky to say without the documents in front of me but I want to say the rate for just the Tesla with very high coverage levels is about $350 per 6 months.

Check Wawanesa. They make no distinction between the S and the P. Yes, I confirmed this with one of their CSRs after finding it a bit odd as part of the web-driven quote process. This is a bonus for P owners, clearly.

Speaking of AAA, at least in SoCal and specifically in LA County, it does not appear that they want to insure Model Ses. Not only was their quote the highest non-stated/replacement value quote I'd received to date, but fully $2800/yr of it was for collision coverage. In fact, that AAA line item alone was more than double what I pay Wawanesa for a full year of solid coverage with a $500 deductible. I'd prefer a higher deductible, but their max is $500, fwiw.

NJM (in NJ/PA only) has excellent pricing. It's only $36/month more than a Ford Escape. And they also pay back dividends every year, so you get a small piece of that back.

You just have to be employed by the state or federal government, a NJ Business & Industry Association company, or have a resident family member using it.

I just got a quote from Wawnesa. Nationwide was cheaper by a few $100.

One thing to keep in mind is what your insurance company will pay if you wreck your car. Most insurance companies, not all, will only pay standard shop rates around $50 an hour. Tesla certified shops normally charge around $125.

I made sure to talk to my local Tesla repair shop to find which company pays without a battle. Geico and Nationwide do.....Farmers, Allstate, State Farm and Esurance do not.....you have to pay the difference.