Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove a refreshed LR S. Tried insane mode. Fast for sure but noticed less of an initial kick than what I remember from my old P85D. Just me or common knowledge? If the case, is it because the old Ds had more powerful motors in the back and now they are more even?

Ludicrous vs Insane is a pretty big jump in power delivery, especially at speed.

The drive units used for "insane" and "ludicrous" mode are the same, however the hardware/fuse upgrades that Tesla installs to unlock Ludicrous allows for more amperage to be delivered to the drive unit....1,400A if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Sam1
Test drove a refreshed LR S. Tried insane mode. Fast for sure but noticed less of an initial kick than what I remember from my old P85D. Just me or common knowledge? If the case, is it because the old Ds had more powerful motors in the back and now they are more even?
The performance models of every version hit harder out of the hole than the LR versions do. The reason is because tesla nerfs them; why would you buy a $120k car, when the $99k version does pretty much the same thing 0-100?

LR is 670hp (iirc)
Plaid is 1020hp
Both cars can only launch at 350-400hp(ish) on street tires, and both cars have more than enough power to do that, so they intentionally nerf the LR to create a gap in performance.

They may have also induced more wheel speed (spin) in the programming to make the launch a little easier on the hardware - but this is just a possibility, I have no clue on the actuality of that scenario.

The performance models of every version hit harder out of the hole than the LR versions do. The reason is because tesla nerfs them; why would you buy a $120k car, when the $99k version does pretty much the same thing 0-100?

LR is 670hp (iirc)
Plaid is 1020hp
Both cars can only launch at 350-400hp(ish) on street tires, and both cars have more than enough power to do that, so they intentionally nerf the LR to create a gap in performance.

They may have also induced more wheel speed (spin) in the programming to make the launch a little easier on the hardware - but this is just a possibility, I have no clue on the actuality of that scenario.
I wasn’t talking about Insane on LR versus Ludicrous on Plaid. I was talking about Insane on LR versus Insane on the old P85D. Although 0-60 time on both is roughly the same, I feel like the initial kick on the P85D hit harder. Am I imagining things?

I wasn’t talking about Insane on LR versus Ludicrous on Plaid. I was talking about Insane on LR versus Insane on the old P85D. Although 0-60 time on both is roughly the same, I feel like the initial kick on the P85D hit harder. Am I imagining things?
Sorry, i was trying to give some additional info to show how the none of the cars can launch at full power, so they're technically *almost* capable to turning similar 0-60's. It's just a tuning thing that Tesla does to give that perception the performance versions (of any model) have more power because they have that initial harder punch.

The p85d turns roughly an 11.4 1/4 mile according to youtube, and the refresh LR is about a 10.8 1/4 mile. So even though it feels softer the power ramps up slower on out into the RPMs but still outruns the p85d significantly.

Last edited:
Off the line your P85D was probably stronger for the first second, even the second, and slower by the third. The 0-60 times are comparable between non-Ludicrous and the refresh LR, but they have different power delivery.

The LR is actually not much slower through the 1/4 than the pre-refresh raven cars, though it is several ticks off the 0-60 time. Newer cars have better sustained performance overall.

I posted lots of info where I made multiple runs at various states of charges and various launch modes. The MS LR is clearly nerfed and doesn't even meet Tesla's claimed times of 3.1 seconds. Where the LR really shines is when you hit it at about 30-40 mph. It will run away from any of the performance versions (non-Plaid) from a decent roll.

This is what pisses me off a lot is it is about .2 seconds slower than claimed to 60. In addition, an M3P will beat the MS LR to 60 easily. At about 65 mph though the MS LR will catch the M3P and run away from it. Tesla really nerfed the launch of the MS LR.

I did find that I could make multiple runs, back to back to back and the performance didn't fade on the MS LR. I also found SoC doesn't really matter a lot. I also found that no matter what I did, never once, got near the claimed 0-60 times. I must have made 100 runs in various temps and conditions. I also found it didn't matter if launch mode was used or not.

Basically, no matter how I had it setup if the SoC was above 50% it pretty much ran the same times. Definitely not traction limited off the line either with the nerfed launch.

Actually, I would like to have what I paid for. Then add the performance update on top it. Offer acceleration boost for 2k like for my 3&Y and I am instant buyer.

I tested a lot of M3Ps before ordering a few Teslas. Almost everyone would meet or beat its claimed 0-60 times. I haven't found a single instance where the MS LR actually met its claimed 0-60 time, let along beat it. My friends with Taycans can typically beat Porsche's claimed times by a tenth or two.