TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Insane mode?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Sep 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Sooo, is insane mode still a thing? Or was that something that was reserved for the older P models? I just ordered a model s 90D

2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

P85Ds and some P90Ds. It was replaced by Ludicrous mode.

Insane got you 0-60 in 3.1. Ludicrous is somewhat faster, depending on the vintage of the car. It was initially enabled by replacing the 1300 amp thermal overloads on the battery with 1500 amp pyro breakers. I think they're up to 1750 amps now with the the P100D.

Insane is still pretty frickin quick by any reasonable standard.

• Helpful x 1
  3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Insane Mode was standard on the P85D and P90D. If you chose to pay the extra $10k, it was replaced with Ludicrous Mode.
    The P100D came with Ludicrous Mode by default.
    Non-P cars never had Insane Mode, and could not get Ludicrous Mode.
    P85(+) also never had Insane Mode, and could not get Ludicrous Mode.

• Informative x 2
  4. JonG

JonG Member

Some very early p100ds were insane not Ludicrous but otherwise correct.

5. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Im 99% Sure that all P100D's came with ludicrous. But you could have Tesla remove it and just have Insane mode (I think).

6. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

i have one of the first P100D's (at least that's what the head of North American Operations told me that when i took delivery). Anyone who pre-ordered the P100D or switched their order from a P90D was told that Ludicrous was standard, not an option, and that Air Suspension was required as well. I remember there being some confusion on that point shortly after P100D's started being built, but I'm not sure there ever were any without Ludicrous.

• Like x 1
  7. JonG

JonG Member

I recall this thread - it sounds like technically it has ludy hardware but if it's not turned on, you can't use it. That in itself seems odd as I'd imagine Tesla would give the option to pay to turn it on. Maybe they turn it on if its an inventory used car as it makes it more desirable?

P100D without Ludicrous

8. stan23

stan23 Member

Unfortunately your car will not have it.

9. VegasBlue

VegasBlue Member

I know this has been discussed on many old threads, but i'll ask again for a quick answer.
    I assume if you drive in the same manner in sport or insane mode it makes no difference in wear on the car.
    What is the mechanical difference between these two modes?

10. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

mechanically there is no difference. it's just a matter of max amperage.

edit: i was speaking between Sport and Ludicrous.

There were mechanical differences between "Insane" and "Ludicrous". i believe the main thing was a different fuse.

11. Mike K

Mike K Member

Well if the manner you're driving is light footed then it won't make any difference between the two modes but if you're constantly beating on the car then Insane is going to be harder on components. All things equal you'd have more cycles on the battery and you're going to accelerate halfshaft wear but since battery degradation really isn't a thing and Tesla's obviously figured out how to make axles stand up to the torque, I wouldn't worry about either.

Also Insane mode is still oppressively fast. I have insane mode and it is, for lack of a better word: insane. It's stupid fast. At 3.1 seconds to 60 I can sit at pretty much any light, even in LA, and know that I'm the fastest thing there.

12. DrivingRockies

And be at the speed limit before your eyes roll back forward. I had a loaner. It was truly insane...

13. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Tesla actually offered early P85D owners like me an upgrade to Ludicrous which dropped the 0-60 time from 3.1 to 2.8 seconds for $5,000 vs. the $10,000 Ludicrous upgrade cost to later P85D buyers

• Informative x 1