TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insane or Ludicrous

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by InsaneGodzilla, Jun 17, 2016.

1. InsaneGodzilla

InsaneGodzilla New Member

Hi there everyone !

Will be ordering the P90D tomorrow, super excited! Now question is whether to go Insane or Ludicrous.

We all know L is faster but is it true that only when battery is above 95 percent ? How much faster is it if battery is much lower?

If not at dead stop launching , car going say 30 mph and battery is below 95 percent on the L, how much faster is it compared to the Insane ?

If I can make use of the power all the time, would be great , but if must be 95 percent and above , then I would find it too restrictive for me for the 10K

Car will be in city most of the time and rarely will be on the highway!!

Looking for your expert advices!

Thx!!

2. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

I ordered the P90DL, but while it entered production today, I am not scheduled to receive it for another couple weeks. I have driven both, and it's not super noticeable as far as off the line takeoff speed between the P90 and the L. Specs say it's about a 1/2 second faster to 60mph, but from what I've read my understanding is that where you really see and feel a significant difference with Ludricous mode is accelerating at higher speeds. E.g. Passing, 40 to 100.

Hope that helps!

3. InsaneGodzilla

If it is very noticeable from 40mph and up, then I really have to reconsider it !!

But at what battery state ?

Thx

QUOTE="NovemberXray, post: 1588209, member: 47308"]I ordered the P90DL, but while it entered production today, I am not scheduled to receive it for another couple weeks. I have driven both, and it's not super noticeable as far as off the line takeoff speed between the P90 and the L. Specs say it's about a 1/2 second faster to 60mph, but from what I've read my understanding is that where you really see and feel a significant difference with Ludricous mode is accelerating at higher speeds. E.g. Passing, 40 to 100.

Hope that helps![/QUOTE]
    If

4. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

Check out this similar thread: Dilemma: 90D vs P90D?

There appears to be conflicting opinions. Post 40 in that thread says the same thing I was seeing, but plenty of others say it's faster off the line, which technically is true, however I think it's a more noticeable difference above 45. :)

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

When I test drove the p90d with ludicrous, I could feel the extra power of ludicrous over insane from a dead stop and at highway speeds.
    The battery was also well below 95% as the range showed 170+ miles when we started the test drive.

6. InsaneGodzilla

7. InsaneGodzilla

Thx everyone !!

8. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Honestly the biggest jump you'll see is to the P90D. Just test drove a P90DL that is software limited and able to be a 70, 70D, 90D, P90D, and P90DL, the P90D is plenty to get your heart going. I would be fine with just the 90D honestly, it is still stupid fast. Only difference I noted was as stated above, the L mode allows the car to pull stronger at speeds above 60...my .02

9. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Go for ludicrous! like other pointed out, the improvement over insane is really for speed over 40 mph. There would be a noticeable difference in highway passing speed.

10. SteveO332

SteveO332 Member

You can get the P90D now and upgrade to ludicrious later if you deem the car to be too slow. Plus, Tesla could reduce the ludicrous update cost for the P90D like they did for the P85D later on.

11. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

adding ludicrous later will cost 10000 dollars PLUS labor. More expensive than just 10000 if u order in production.

• Funny x 1
  12. jerry505

jerry505 Member

Why is P85D upgrade to Ludicrous 5K vs 10K plus labor?

13. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

I believe Tesla lowered the price to $5K once the 90 kWh pack was released. So along the same vein, perhaps the price will be lowered for the 90 kWh Ludicrous upgrade once the 100s are in full swing...