Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside door sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that the 2016 MX did not have inside door sensors so if you are standing underneath the falcon wing doors, they close on you. Isn't that a safety issue, especially with young kids? Can you get Tesla to install them since its a safety issue?

When were the inside door sensors installed? 2017 and on or 2018?

2018 X, my X will occasionally will bop a head.
They sensors that are there, are "ify" at least on mine.. a common phrase in my car is....

Everybody in? (Spoken everytime before the close all button is pressed)

My GF especially likes to hit the wrong buttons, 99% cause of head bops.. lol

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
The door sensor is supposed to "see" people before it even gets to the point of making contact with them. My 2018 X scares me because it's so cautious opening but seems very determined to close even when I am close by - agree with the "everybody in?" statement above.

The sensors in the 2016 are pressure sensors that sense resistance and will halt (perhaps reverse?) door closure just like on any minivan with sliding doors or the X rear liftgate which has bonked me before.

2016 - close on you and stop when there’s resistance, but it has to bump on you or your kid first. Is this a safety issue? Well it’s just same as regular door where you close the door when someone is still standing there.

Late 2017+ (q3? Q4?) - if someone is standing below the opened FWD, it won’t close or move at all. Here you have about 3 seconds to move away so the door will start closing. If you don’t move away the door will stay put and not close, with a warning beep beep beep. If for whatever reason the sensor does not sense any object but you are there, it acts like 2016, close and stop after getting resistance. I had this happened on my 2018 because the SC forgot to plug back in a wire bundle after fixing the FWD. It defeated the sensor and the LED down light. I opened up the panel and plugged it back in myself.

Most likely not something the SC will retrofit as it’s not a plug&play item like FWD switch. The sensor is inside the speaker grille in case you are wondering.

Last edited:
Late 2017+ (q3? Q4?) - if someone is standing below the opened FWD, it won’t close or move at all. Here you have about 3 seconds to move away so the door will start closing. If you don’t move away the door will stay put and not close, with a warning beep beep beep.

That's exactly how mine work (2018 Q1 car). I haven't stress tested it, but if I simply stand directly under the FWD and try to close it just beeps at me and doesn't move at all. I agree with the late 2017 introduction as my Tesla sales guy asked me if our car had the new sensor after delivery. That's how I found out about it actually. I'm surprised the original design didn't include this feature!