Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Model S Alpha Workshop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 6 minute interview in front of the car and not even a second-long shot of the front of the car. I wonder if Tesla asked as part of the conditions of the visit that they not shoot the front of the car--if it is still in a state of design flux.

I noticed that too. There also was no walk around so you couldn't see where the charge port door is of what kind of plug they're using (if the charge door was opened during the interview).

Autoblog has some picks up form the tour, include a front shot of one of the black alphas

Best pictures yet. I particularly liked:

25-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

20-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

21-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

Looking at the left rear quarter panels in all the new Autoblog pics there is no sign of a charge door anywhere on ant of the cars (including the diving one with the licence plate).

I noticed that too. It's hidden.

I wonder if they plan on keeping it hidden for the betas and production versions?

So now we see the nose is indeed a solid piece (probably without logos) and has a slot above and below for air flow. With the new talk about it's amazing aerodynamics, it is likely this is the new nose piece (the foam piece over the radiator may be a backer but the convex "seam" is a bit odd)
26-tesla-model-s-development.jpg
attachment.php
teslaalphatourfrontend2.jpg

http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/teslaalphatourfrontend2.jpg
Also notice in the background the black roadster trunk is open. You can see some orange cables going to the left rear quarter panel. Is that a charge port?!

Looks to me like the panel in the front of the car is an openable panel! Perhaps this area contains the 'charge center' providing the connections at the front of the vehicle as does the leaf. If so it appears that there is space for the panel to be locked closed supplying security to the connection and allowing the cord to travel through the lower or upper opening, though I think the lower makes more sense. If so this design protects the connector while plugged in to a public charge facility and unattended. Sound plausable?? Seems to make sense to me since the charge point access that used to be on the left rear quarter panel seems to have been deleted in the Alpha model.

I know this is just for the alpha test vehicles (since they have no center console) and will most likely vanish with the beta's but the gear shifter on the column of the alpha in this picture is interesting.

12-tesla-model-s-development-1300678226.jpg

Also the thse temporary seats they are using are really ugly.