Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Model S Alpha Workshop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for comparison:

12-tesla-model-s-development-1300678226.jpg

2010 Mercedes-Benz E Class Pictures/Photos Gallery - The Car Connection
2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-2-door-coupe-3-5l-rwd-steering-wheel_100251371_l.jpg

2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-4-door-sedan-luxury-3-5l-rwd-steering-wheel_100254489_l.jpg

2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-4-door-sedan-luxury-3-5l-rwd-gear-shift_100254496_l.jpg

Btw, if I had this, I'd probably change gears every time I wanted to turn the wipers on. Just like whenever I drive in Japan and try to change lanes, I turn the wipers on.

that's funny it even uses that same Mercedes steering wheel! so I guess that's why the ger selector is there. they have simply stuck an MB steering column in there to test different systems that are inherent to that column to see if they like them, is my guess

/fb

that's funny it even uses that same Mercedes steering wheel! so I guess that's why the ger selector is there. they have simply stuck an MB steering column in there to test different systems that are inherent to that column to see if they like them, is my guess

More likely they just put in stock steering wheels that were readily available. The gear shifter probably doesn't even work.

There was a time when interest in Tesla from the mainstream media seemed lacking. Back then it made sense to show off what the fans could find.
These days, the mainstream media seems eager to get the "scoop" on any Tesla developments so I am content to stand back and let the "pros" do their job and see the news unfold that way.
Besides, Tesla seems quick to show off any new major developments as soon as they are ready.

I do have a camera, and live near their facilities, but resist the urge to go searching for prototypes "in the wild".

(On the other hand, every time a Smart car passes me, I double check to see if it has a tailpipe or not.)

More likely they just put in stock steering wheels that were readily available. The gear shifter probably doesn't even work.
It might work. No reason not to wire it up assuming the car runs. The earlier photo showed what looks like a make shift speedometer on the center console.
teslaalphatourelectronics.jpg

Did we decide yet what that aluminum looking part under the rear diffuser is? Cooling?

Well, folks, just spent a couple hours cleaning up the front on this (erasing the bicycle reflection) and adding a hood emblem, since I read somewhere that Tesla is going to do the hood (and not the grille?). Actually, I like it. And I also understand that most of us realize that TMC will do whatever and we will probably love that just as well. Or not. We just have to wait and see.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1518&d=1301177073.jpg

Attachments

• New S hood.jpg
    New S hood.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 1,712
Last edited:
Well, folks, just spent a couple hours cleaning up the front on this (erasing the bicycle reflection) and adding a hood emblem, since I read somewhere that Tesla is going to do the hood (and not the grille?). Actually, I like it. And I also understand that most of us realize that TMC will do whatever and we will probably love that just as well. Or not. We just have to wait and see.

I 100% agree with you. You also have to take into account that TMC has not strayed far from the concept. The differences between prototype and the alpha are noticeable, but aren't drastic. The original vision is still there, just with some tweeks. TMC has a vision and they are going to see it through. Unlike the Chevy Volt where concept and production are two totally different cars.

Did we decide yet what that aluminum looking part under the rear diffuser is? Cooling?

Here is an enlarged view of the Alpha underside from Tesla's photo gallery of the Model S:
attachment.php

Based on this photo, I think it is either a decorative shroud to improve aerodynamics or a decorative trim piece outlining a vent, tucked up underneath, to vent the air buildup in the wheel-wells. From the angle it doesn't look to be cooling tubing. Just a guess.