Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside of hood not fully painted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up our Model 3 tonight and overall fit and finish is much better than some of the stories here with one exception. The inside of the frunk hood is clearly missing paint and I was wondering if this is common.

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 345
I'm picky and borderline OCD, but if it was my car, not sure if it's worth the hassle to have them fix that. It's aluminum so it's not going to rust and it looks like it has some kind of primer/coating on it because of the yellowish color. I look at it this way, how much are you going to be starting up at the underside of your hood? But it's your car so you need to do what satisfies you. Report back what you find when you discuss with them.

Just picked up our Model 3 tonight and overall fit and finish is much better than some of the stories here with one exception. The inside of the frunk hood is clearly missing paint and I was wondering if this is common.
There are so many reflections in your photo, I can’t tell where you are missing paint. It actually looks really nice (like a polished gem!) :D. Is it just spots that are missing paint, or the whole thing? What color is your car?

I agree with @Big Dog, though. A liner would have been nice for the frunk and the inside top of the trunk, at least on the PUP.

Honestly, I rarely open my frunk, because I hate the closing process. Afraid I’m going to eventually dent the aluminum, even with the two hand technique, and don’t like palm prints on the paint. A motorized closure would have been really nice.

I can't tell. it looks black and i see reflections? not clear at all that its un-painted.
I’m afraid to look.

If you're talking about deep inside the hexagonal holes, every Model 3 I've seen has been that way. The parts that are painted are just overspray that went through. If somewhere in that reflection mess there is surface paint missing, maybe drawing some circles would help.

If you're talking about deep inside the hexagonal holes, every Model 3 I've seen has been that way. The parts that are painted are just overspray that went through. If somewhere in that reflection mess there is surface paint missing, maybe drawing some circles would help.
Yes, they are talking about in all the various holes there are some areas in the corners that you can see at certain angles that did not get coverage. It's the parts that look yellow/orange. Definitely see it in the hexagonal and trapezoid hole.

I always thought the padded liners were also engine noise insulation. Also not an issue here - but it does look funny without it.

The pads are called heat shields and since there's no engine in there, they would just be dead weight.

But then why is that a (padded) liner on the inside of the trunk?

Yeah, I get the dead weight (what, maybe 1#?), but the liner also serves as protection to the hood from over-stuffing it and then trying to close the frunk lid. Something hard inside could dent the frunk lid. (I learned this the hard way when my kid put his trumpet case in our Volvo trunk and slammed the lid. It left an impression as the trumpet case had brass corners.)

Reactions: Canuck
I'm picky and borderline OCD, but if it was my car, not sure if it's worth the hassle to have them fix that. It's aluminum so it's not going to rust and it looks like it has some kind of primer/coating on it because of the yellowish color. I look at it this way, how much are you going to be starting up at the underside of your hood? But it's your car so you need to do what satisfies you. Report back what you find when you discuss with them.
I would request a refund for the amount of missed paint.

I thought the padded liners are normally heat shields designed to keep your engine from cooking the paint off of your hood. Not really an issue here.

The pads are called heat shields and since there's no engine in there, they would just be dead weight.

2014-Tesla-Model-S-frunk.jpg

My large frunk S had a padded liner -- same as in this pic I just found online. I like it since it pads the hood so if you have stuff in there, and I often fill mine to the brim, when you close the hood it provides a cushion to whatever you've loaded in and won't dent it and things won't bounce off bare metal. Also, it seals it completely from the weather. I fit 8 rolls of grass sod in my frunk last weekend and I thought how easy it was to wipe the dirt off the underside of the frunk liner.

Do they no longer make the S with this frunk liner?

Reactions: mal_tsla
dunno about the S, but this is a thread for Model 3's. ;)

Yes, I know that. I pick up my 3 on Tuesday so this interests me. Then I read people here saying you don't need a padded frunk -- it's just a heat shield on an ICE, and not needed for an EV, so I pointed out that my S has one -- and they do serve a purpose -- at least for me -- and that got me wondering if they dropped it on the S/X. Sorry, not trying to derail the thread -- although I do see the wink.