Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside of hood not fully painted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As suggested I've uploaded a annotated photo to point out the areas I'm talking about. I'm not worried about corrosion (it's primered) or hood liners, I was just curious if that's how other folk's Model 3's are. If not, I'll have Tesla make it right and if so, I'll probably hit those areas with some Krylon in the future. It's not like I would do a worse job than the heavy orange peel coat that's already in there. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 112
The model 3 is quickly becoming the most scrutinized car in history.

+12345

Omg this forum is giving so many gray hairs..

Guys please go outside and look at your other cars and look under the welded bracing under hood and trunk and tell me if is painted. I think you will find out that is not. How the hell are they supposed to paint under a welded bracing.

A car paint process has many many stages is not just primer, clear and paint.

The vehicle will get submerged multiple times on electrically charged baths of corrosion inhibitors call the e-coat. This is the layer that provides the real corrosion protection.

Here is the BMW 640i and 650i as you can see from the video there is areas that do not get any paint.

Here is a picture of my good of my lancer EVO:

IMG_20180531_212811374.jpg

Please don't waste Tesla's time.

Reactions: johnster007
They didn’t spend a lot of time on the exterior paint either ;) but seeing how this thread is going there’s no way I’m going to get into that! Regardless, I figured there would be a few signs of cost cutting or growing pains and yet there’s still no other car on the market that I would rather own.

As far as orange peal, I do not think that Tesla spends a lot of time rubbing out the paint on the inside of the frunk area : )

Yeah, who really cares. But out of that issue arose the padded hood issue, and that's seems to be a good gripe to me. If not, I'm sure we can find something else to pick apart about the car.

Like some other people pointed the padding under hood is usually a heat shield or NVH for ICE vehicles.

The model S seems to have the weather rubber seal on the under hood patting side but the model 3 has it on the car frunk side. So maybe that was a cost down and avoided having some extra dead weight? Who knows...

The frunk and under hood on the model 3 has evolved a lot from the reveal night.

full

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Thanks for your input. Guess I’ll discuss it with Tesla.

Please don't waste their time. Been under the hood and around all different cars. There's nothing to see here. If it was steel, the anti-corrosion dip would have been enough. No problem with aluminum. If anything Tesla could provide a trim piece to cover to satisfy the OCD's

Getting tired of the noob scrutiny. Waiting for the thread about rust on the brake rotors, and where does the blinker fluid go.

• Love
Reactions: WarpedOne and sub