Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside of hood not fully painted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014-Tesla-Model-S-frunk.jpg

My large frunk S had a padded liner -- same as in this pic I just found online. I like it since it pads the hood so if you have stuff in there, and I often fill mine to the brim, when you close the hood it provides a cushion to whatever you've loaded in and won't dent it and things won't bounce off bare metal. Also, it seals it completely from the weather. I fit 8 rolls of grass sod in my frunk last weekend and I thought how easy it was to wipe the dirt off the underside of the frunk liner.

Do they no longer make the S with this frunk liner?

Our Model X has the weather proofing seal on the frunk side, and no pad on the hood. I think it's fine; having a pad would waste an inch or two of available height. The underside is of the hood is painted, so it wipes up easily enough. The surface that things in the frunk would make contact with isn't the external skin, since the underside of the hood has various braces for structural integrity. But I would never load it above the weather seal height on the frunk side anyway.

Lol everyone hood is like yours...

My response was directed at AWDtsla telling me what to do, not you. I thanked you for your post above as it was helpful.

Can we all let this thread die now? It was never intended to be a knock on Tesla. I never asked about corrosion, hood liners, or for a comparison with a Mitsubishi.

It’s sad this is how new owners are treated when they have a simple question.

My response was directed at AWDtsla telling me what to do, not you. I thanked you for your post above as it was helpful.

Can we all let this thread die now? It was never intended to be a knock on Tesla. I never asked about corrosion, hood liners, or for a comparison with a Mitsubishi.

It’s sad this is how new owners are treated when they have a simple question.

I apologize then. We just get lots of question that seem to be just loaded questions trying to make Tesla look bad of stuff that you would normally see on other cars.

Reactions: gpxl
Regarding aluminum:

1. It does not “rust” in the traditional sense (no orangish stuff).

2. It corrodes, forming aluminum oxide. However, aluminum oxide is a strong barrier that prevents further corrosion.

So once the outer layer of aluminum corrodes, no further corrosion will occur. (Meaning: don’t scrape off the outer layer of aluminum corrosion—it’s protecting the rest of the aluminum!)

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
My blue TM3 16XXX has thin paint around the edges of the hexes - interestingly appears to be thinner on the right than the left. Doesn't bother me much, though, I don't use the frunk often.

What does bother me is the thin/inadequate paint in the door jams under the A-pillars as I see it every time I open the front doors. You can even see it in the gap between the A-pillar and fender. Does anyone else have that?

Found this thread on Reddit - apparently inadequate/thin paint below the A-pillar is pretty common - but some cars are fully painted there, some aren't.

r/teslamotors - Is your front door interior jams not painted? SC is saying this is standard on all Model 3s.

Nothing they can do about this - not like you can hold a robot responsible. Even if you called Tesla about it, they'd tell you sorry, he's busy.

Seriously though I think we need to demand pictures of our individual car as it was being assembled. They would be loaded at the factory and viewable on touchscreen. This way we will know that there's not some hidden paint problems that are secretly bothering us, keeping us up at night.

My car isn't even ordered yet but I'm already worried on the backside of a rear body panel there's a small amount of clear coat overspray.

Last edited: