Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Tesla - 08.21.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would have been nice to hear that more then just 100 cars have been made... :( but what i thought was kinda weird is the line " To avoid duty fees, a minimum percentage of the car's component value must be made in North America. Model S falls slightly below that percentage, so our cars cannot be brought into Canada duty free" From what I understood most of the car was made in North America. Is the battery keeping the car from being imported duty free? This really does not matter to me as I live in the USA, but I did find it puzzling.

I thought it was a great blog, filled with lots of news. I was happy to see the test track info and delighted to see Devon's video highlighted.

(What were you hoping to see??)

I was hoping to see more news (that I hadn't already heard) other than the one piece of info I quoted. What's the "lots of news"? I didn't see anything new other than that one. The test track info was posted here a week ago. It was very nice to see Devon's video highlighted (but that's not news either). I was hoping to hear about the ramp-up. We were teased with that new quote on the home page (that links to nothing), so I was definitely expecting to hear about it.

The battery cells, 17" display and other computer parts, Continental air suspension, and the MB steering gear all add up. I'm not sure where the brakes are made. If Tesla makes their own steering gear for the Model X, perhaps that will push the percentage over.

Personally... I'm wanting to hear more from GB on the opportunity console. It almost feels like it was a hot topic for GB... With promises of designs, etc. being put online. Other than whats been originally posted, nothing!

As my greatest area of dissatisfaction, I NEED to see and know more before my S arrives in October.

I wanted info on build quality and the Improvments that are coming. Also, the reason for the order delays. Mine was pushed a month.

There are lots of open questions that could have been answered.

The open questions can be answered by asking your advocate.

I think it will be interesting to see what the TM videos will look like. They have some footage that we shot during the last stop of the tour. I'll be sending 3 photos their way tonight.

I was hoping for much more news regarding the ramp-up, but there's virtually nothing. I think the only new piece of info is:

- 100 cars built, 74 for res. holders

This line will keep me satiated for two weeks...

We plan to continue to increase production in the upcoming weeks. I’ll keep you up to date as we ramp up production and deliver Model S to customers across the U.S.

I was hoping to see more news (that I hadn't already heard) other than the one piece of info I quoted. What's the "lots of news"? I didn't see anything new other than that one. The test track info was posted here a week ago. It was very nice to see Devon's video highlighted (but that's not news either). I was hoping to hear about the ramp-up. We were teased with that new quote on the home page (that links to nothing), so I was definitely expecting to hear about it.

I'm sure for most who read the blog, most of it was new. Not everyone is staying up to date about everything, as many of us are here on the forum.

Regarding the ramp-up, aside from the current number which they let us know, it's probably lots of little things happening, little things which, in general, customers should not have to worry about. They improved the programming of some of the robots, and so on.

We'll soon have the first forum members getting deliveries, and from then on we'll continuously learn from them about the exact features being delivered each time (such as already on the Tesla forum from one or two of the founders). We want to know so many details, it would be very difficult for Tesla to give a consistent picture about all of them each week. Sure, an update about the opportunity console would be interesting, but it seems that the shelf below the touch screen will be standard, while the other components will be retrofittable and are probably not ready yet for an official announcement. The ramp up probably progresses each week based on exactly what happens in that week, and isn't predictable until it actually happens, in general.

The battery cells, 17" display and other computer parts, Continental air suspension, and the MB steering gear all add up. I'm not sure where the brakes are made. If Tesla makes their own steering gear for the Model X, perhaps that will push the percentage over.

Brakes are by Brembo according to the pre-drive speech in Dallas this past weekend, so that would make them Italian (and very good!)

74 cars for res holders? Seems low for this point in time (wish I had one of those — almost hand built!). Almost all Sigs will need to get a delivery phone call in September to meet my October promised delivery date (I’ll be about the 800th regular Sig with S1092).

74 cars for res holders? Seems low for this point in time (wish I had one of those — almost hand built!). Almost all Sigs will need to get a delivery phone call in September to meet my October promised delivery date. (I’ll be about the 800th regular Sig with S1092).

From George:

We plan to continue to increase production in the upcoming weeks. I’ll keep you up to date as we ramp up production and deliver Model S to customers across the U.S.

Sounds like they're doing the best that they can. If they could ramp up to 100 a day tomorrow and maintain a high build quality, I'm sure they'd be doing it. As it is, what they've accomplished so far is pretty incredible and I have no doubt that they want to be at maximum speed as soon as possible.