Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Tesla - 08.21.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the blog seemed a little thin on new details, but that is only because I am on this and the Tesla forum constantly. We get a constant trickle of news, so this didn't seem like all that much new. However, the blog is for a much wider audience, and they will certainly take a lot away from the post.

I continue to be on the side of those who wish for more information, but also know that Tesla has been incredibly transparent about things. I've spent much of my career dealing with larger corporations and their outward communications. I put Tesla up there with IBM when it comes to openness. I know GB is from Apple, but I'm thrilled to see he hasn't taken their insanely tight lipped approach to progress.

One thing I find concerning is that the Edmund's track test states the following about the Model S acceleration:

"The first and second runs were the quickest, and after that it just got slower and slower despite having plenty of charge. By the sixth and final run it was 0.3 second slower."

That's not good if it's true, that the acceleration is not consistent and appears to degrade as the battery level drops. Edmund's seems to suggest it gets incrementally slower and slower.

Last edited:
One thing I find concerning is that the Edmund's track test states the following about the Model S acceleration:

"The first and second runs were the quickest, and after that it just got slower and slower despite having plenty of charge. By the sixth and final run it was 0.3 second slower."

That's not good if it's true, that the acceleration is not consistent and appears to degrade as the battery level drops. Edmund's seems to suggest it gets incrementally slower and slower.
The performance loss was actually due to overheating in the motor and other components, as the tests were done sequentially at a very rapid pace. IIRC it was much worse in the Roadster but even the Model S (as with any car, really) can overheat if you're pushing it consistently within a short period of time.

I can't remember where it was posted, but another member here lives nearby where they were testing, and said on those days the temperatures were in the triple digits. Heavy acceleration like that heats up batteries, motors, and other electronic components, to it automatically throttles itself down slightly if its starting to get hot.

Another interesting thing is that the Model S has a 0-30 time of 2.0 seconds, while doing 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. It's quarter mile time is 12.6 sec @ 108.3 mph. Meanwhile, the 2013 Porsche Panamera GTS, as tested by Edmunds as well, does 0-30 in 1.4 seconds and 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. It's quarter mile time is 12.5 sec @ 108.2 mph. So much for the instant torque of the EV Model S besting some of the fastest ICE cars out there. I would have expected the Model S to better the initial acceleration times of ICE cars, while losing ground as it gained speed. But it's quite the opposite. In fact, the Model S does better from 30-60 vs. the ICE based Panamera (2.3 sec vs. 2.7 sec), and further closes the gap by the 75 mph mark (and holds that line through the quarter mile time). Perhaps that explains why I really didn't get the same gut wrenching, kick in the butt feeling when flooring the Model S during the test drive, as I have gotten while driving other fast cars. But in many ways, I'd rather have more power from 30-60 since that actually benefits real world driving, as opposed to off-the-line acceleration.

That'd be backwards from my real world driving needs. I far more often need to get ahead of someone at a light (0-30 speed) to change lanes than I need to go from 30-60 in a hurry.

Unless you're lined up next to an M5 or a Panamera, I think you'd be just fine if you floor it. Not many people floor it when at a light for no good reason. But on the other hand, you may need to accelerate when cruising at 30 to 60, or 40 to 70 or whatever when on the freeway to get around someone. I guess either way, regardless of what Model S you get it's still a relatively fast sedan.

The Porsche tests used Launch Control, which loads up lots of energy into the drivetrain. Brutal on the clutch. Whereas the MSP performance is repeatable every day with no undue strain on the mechanicals. Still, interesting to see how the Panamera and MSP timed out differently.

One thing worth noting is that the 0-60 time of a Panamera as tested by Car and Driver 2011 Porsche Panamera 4S Road Test Car and Driver was 4.2 seconds but the real world "street start" test of 5-60 is 4.9 seconds - when they can't use the fancy launch control.
I expect the Model S "street start 5-60" time to be better than its 0-60 time, it will be interesting to see when someone does that test.

The better 30-60 time of the Model S really speaks to its low coefficient of drag. Since the power to overcome drag goes as the cube of the velocity, the acceleration times deteriorate significantly at higher speeds (notice the Panamera goes 0-30 in 1.4 seconds, but 30-60 in 2.7 seconds). The Model S's low coefficient of drag allows it to close the acceleration gap on some of these other cars at higher speeds.

Last edited:
That'd be backwards from my real world driving needs. I far more often need to get ahead of someone at a light (0-30 speed) to change lanes than I need to go from 30-60 in a hurry.

Me too. Then again, I would never rev up my engine and dump the clutch just beat the other cars (since that's obnoxious and bad for my car). So to me, Tesla wins both, even if it's technically slower 0-30.

A recent tweet from Elon with another pic of the finished cars...

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/238308173990223873/photo/1

Would have expected the hatch gaps to all be gone by now. That hatch looks like it's slightly cracked open (i.e. someone popped the trunk), though it's worlds better than some of the initial examples

A06kBYpCYAIlMH-.jpg

The better 30-60 time of the Model S really speaks to its low coefficient of drag. Since the power to overcome drag goes as the cube of the velocity, the acceleration times deteriorate significantly at higher speeds (notice the Panamera goes 0-30 in 1.4 seconds, but 30-60 in 2.7 seconds). The Model S's low coefficient of drag allows it to close the acceleration gap on some of these other cars at higher speeds.

That 0-30 number sounds like they were using non-factory tires coupled with launch control at sea level. There is no way that most people would be able to replicate that. Most of these tests are bought and paid for by manufacturers, so there is cheating involved. This can be verified very easily by taking the car to the track, which results in much dissapointment as most people can't get anywhere near published numbers 99% of the time.