Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Tesla: 8/02/12 (New blog from George B)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sweet. Wonder if this is in response to the recent drama and folks calling on GeorgeB to update the blog (answer = yes).

Interesting note about the number of miles driven so far. ~26,000 for the Get Amped tour alone. I'm kinda stoked about that one since I did some math and estimated that Get Amped would cover 30k-40k miles and they are on pace to drive ~37,000 miles. Glad to know math still works :)

There is an interesting disclaimer at the bottom of the post -

"Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements in this blog post, including statements regarding future production of vehicles, are "forward-looking statements" that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information."

GeorgeB made a real attempt at communication, and obviously reads these forums to know what the issues are. He absolutely clarified the issues in regards to the visor lights and the rear seat reading lights. He reiterated that if vehicles are delivered without these items, Tesla will retrofit at no charge when the feature becomes available, which has been the assumed policy but has been questioned by doubters.

However, other issues were avoided completely despite the fact that GeorgeB knows of the issues and had the opportunity to address them. I suspect that reading between the lines GeorgeB is talking in code and trying to reassure folks about how Tesla intends to address these issues going forward without making explicit promises that his lawyers aren't prepared to let him make.

I'd be interested in what a lawyer has to say about this post in the context of GeorgeB making an attempt to respond to the community while avoiding lawsuits from customers or shareholders. GeorgeB is quite certain of the future arrangements in regards to these lights, but how much does his legal disclaimer cover him if he expects other issues to be addressed but doesn't have a clear solution in hand yet? Or is the disclaimer just boilerplate and/or targeted more at the factory production numbers he released?

I think it was pre-planned. Nonetheless, it's a nice nod (just like the console poll) to the TMC forum to post here before the blog.

Oh, I'm sure that an Inside Tesla post was pre-planned. But he seemed to take pains to address the ongoing drama involving the tweaking that is, or is not, being done to the car, as well as reassuring folks that retrofits will happen.

"Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements in this blog post, including statements regarding future production of vehicles, are "forward-looking statements" that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information."
This sounds almost word-for-word like what is said at the opening of every Earnings Conf Call.

Edit:
Tesla Motors' CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha
Jeff Evanson said:
During the course of this call, we may discuss our business outlook and make forward-looking statements. Such statements are predictions based on management’s current expectations. Actual events or results could differ materially due to a number of risks and uncertainties, including those mentioned in our most recent 10-Q filed with the SEC.

Such forward-looking statements represent our views as of today, and should not be relied upon after today. We also disclaim any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.

This sounds almost word-for-word like what is said at the opening of every Earnings Conf Call.

Edit:
Tesla Motors' CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

It's boilerplate legal language in the corporate world. But there are real lawyers who go over these sorts of statements before they are made, and my question is to what extent are lawyers muzzling his communications?

He addressed the lights, while also saying that they were just a few of many such issues that Tesla is working to address, and then went on to clarify the retrofit policy going forward. No other promises were made about specific issues and my suspicion is that the corporate attorney nixed it. I think it would be interesting to hear from an attorney about what kind of legal advice he would give Tesla about these kinds of statements, i.e. if "yes we will fix this" passes, what can you say if the answer is "I think, and expect to fix this but we don't have a solution yet" ?

It's boilerplate legal language in the corporate world. But there are real lawyers who go over these sorts of statements before they are made, and my question is to what extent are lawyers muzzling his communications?

Why does it matter? Why must everything be kneaded, massaged, then picked apart and over analyzed just to restart the cycle of angst, doubt and supposition? Why can't anything just be taken at face value and be done with it?

Someone asks if they'll raise capital, they say maybe, but not right away and certainly that it's not needed and the next day it's all over the place that Tesla is in financial trouble, needs to raise money before Q4, blah, blah, blah.

Can we not just read the words and stop filling in imaginary blanks or twisting the context? If we did that, they wouldn't need lawyers and have to put disclaimers at the end of blogs.

What is wrong with people? Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but then keeps right on squeaking. Let it rest, already.

Why does it matter? Why must everything be kneaded, massaged, then picked apart and over analyzed just to restart the cycle of angst, doubt and supposition? Why can't anything just be taken at face value and be done with it?

Someone asks if they'll raise capital, they say maybe, but not right away and certainly that it's not needed and the next day it's all over the place that Tesla is in financial trouble, needs to raise money before Q4, blah, blah, blah.

Can we not just read the words and stop filling in imaginary blanks or twisting the context? If we did that, they wouldn't need lawyers and have to put disclaimers at the end of blogs.

What is wrong with people? Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but then keeps right on squeaking. Let it rest, already.

Well said.

Thank you! Great post.

I'm sure people have noticed my growing impatience with all the nitpicky stuff. Apologies if I've offended ... but ffs, LET IT GO. I'm not enjoying the forum much these days because I see so much complaining, assumptions that Tesla is trying to pull a fast one, etc. It's really turned negative lately.

And before anyone says (again) 'but that's because Tesla hasn't communicated what I want to know, so it's their fault', well, too bad. They've communicated WAY more than most companies.

I understand there are orders that need to be locked in and you're uncomfortable with that - then defer if you can't get the critical information you need to lock in. They're trying to get a car out the door and that's where their focus should be. If you can't get those answers after production is rolling, then you have a point.

I'm not enjoying the forum much these days because I see so much complaining, assumptions that Tesla is trying to pull a fast one, etc. It's really turned negative lately.
The forum seems bipolar in the last few months. Every Tesla post is greeted with "Sweet! Tesla is awesome! Yea!" Every time period with a gap or change is "Tesla isn't talking! Their motto of best car is all talk! I want a cup holder!"

There's just not much middle ground. I got whip lash with the speed people went from ranting to praising after the last George B post.

The forum seems bipolar in the last few months. Every Tesla post is greeted with "Sweet! Tesla is awesome! Yea!" Every time period with a gap or change is "Tesla isn't talking! Their motto of best car is all talk! I want a cup holder!"

There's just not much middle ground. I got whip lash with the speed people went from ranting to praising after the last George B post.

I think people are just really anxious.

Some have waited a long time, and some have forked over $40k already. We all know this. It just seems that in the 11th hour a few uncertainties exist and a few changes are unexpectedly bring made. Some people, including myself, don't like last minutes changes or the uncertainty. I think it's reasonable to want updates regularly about changes that are made, especially after some have locked in.

The natives are restless.:) you have to expect this from people who are taking a risk on the Model S and are paying 2-4 times the amount on a car...myself included. The reaction is valid, IMHO.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I think you may be being a little harsh on people's legitimate criticisms of Tesla, and also only hearing the loudest voices of dissent. We've seen this a couple of times in the past where an issue was raised on these forums in such a way that Tesla, which does a great job of listening to its customers, felt compelled to respond and even change direction in some way. Charging in Europe is an example of this, and actually I think we can attribute the "millimeters" of headroom in the back seat that they're trying to get from the new light fixture to this as well (many passengers on test drives commented on the headroom in the negative).

I give kudos to those who raise these issues in a respectful and persuasive way, and to Tesla for responding when they recongize a legitimate issue has been raised and responding accordingly. The latest brouhaha involving the removal of the vanity mirror lights and 2nd row lights may have been a bit overwrought, but Tesla pretty quickly understood the issue and felt it legitimate enough (again) to comment here and in a blog post so that everyone understood why those two items had been removed from the specs page.

I couldn't be more excited that my 3.5 year wait for this car is almost up, and nothing that has been brought up recently would make me even consider for a nanosecond canceling my car, but that doesn't mean that if there are drawbacks or negatives about the car they shouldn't be brought up. From my perspective, I'm a "true believer" and fully expect to love this car forever. But I want more than a cool car for myself -- I want Tesla to be wildly successful and change the automotive industry globally, and that means I want the car to be able to appeal to people who don't really care about Tesla, or EVs, the way I do, and that means that every issue that might possibly be a drawback should be raised, IMHO. Better now than after production is in full steam. This is especially true because, except for a few limited exceptions, the criticisms that are raised on these forums are done so in a pretty respectful manner (at least for the internet), are as informed opinions as they can be under the circumstances, and mostly come for a good place of tryin to help Tesla and improve the car itself.

I think people are just really anxious.

Some have waited a long time, and some have forked over $40k already. We all know this. It just seems that in the 11th hour a few uncertainties exist and a few changes are unexpectedly bring made. Some people, including myself, don't like last minutes changes or the uncertainty. I think it's reasonable to want updates regularly about changes that are made, especially after some have locked in.

The natives are restless.:) you have to expect this from people who are taking a risk on the Model S and are paying 2-4 times the amount on a car...myself included. The reaction is valid, IMHO.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I disagree. Everyone likes to refer to themselves as 'early adopters', but then say they want to know every detail. That's not how it works.

Tesla has a brilliant (imo) rollout plan, that starts with low volume/highly tolerant of risk customers increasing to high volume/not tolerant of risk ... Founders, Special Sig (Roadster owners), Signature, then standard production. That should (in theory) give them time to work out any kinks without upsetting a customer group.

I see most of the complaints (not all) as originating from folks that are in the wrong group.

If someone doesn't have the early adopter mentality, then wait. There's no shame in that. But a lot of what I see is stuff that the standard production group has every right to ask for ... if the rollout timeline was actually at the standard product point, then it would be reasonable. But the rollout timeline is somewhere straddling Founders and SSL.

And again, for those being asked to lock down ... if there is some information you need in order to lock down, but you cannot get that info ... then you should defer. But we (royal TMC we) cannot expect them to jump to our every demand for information.