Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the connections had been properly tightened the design probably would have been fine and no fire would have ever occurred.
A "good" design would not assume that. And in this case that assumption was clearly wrong. Like what the Boeing engineer said, you assume things can fail every step of the way (even if you designed them not to fail).

I'm not saying the design could not have been improved. However if one of the high power connectors from the Tesla battery pack to the inverter was not tight and developed high resistance during use the same thing could potentially occur, unless each connector also has it's own temperature monitoring device that can cut the power, and it's functioning properly. The main point I think is the A123 problem was not a runaway pack fire. Cells in direct contact with other burning cells did not ignite.

Anything can be dangerous! I used A123 26650's in my own Prius PHEV conversion. I've never had any concern about them, even using plastic covers for my pack. Of course it's well constructed and carefully monitored.

?prius-phevpack.jpg

Any system using almost any type of high-power battery pack can burst into flames and burn if it's not well designed, or it's subjected to parameters outside of the design envelope.

-Phil

The limitation on the 0-60 time is actually traction. If you put normal tires on the P85 you would not get the same 0-60 times. To accelerate even faster then the P85 you would need softer tires that would last an even shorter period of time, more weight on the rear tires (ie like the Roadster), 4 wheel drive, or much wider tires. Only with more traction would more horsepower gain you anything.

So the MOdel S really uses 3100mah cells? Genious. That is the breakthrough for e-cars. Compare that: 140wh to 240wh. Almost 100%.
And the battery pack. Also genious. Awesome. 8000 cells stored away without affecting cabin space. And enough space for cooling.
This car is just awesome. Now we only need a 1300kg version of it. Then you would only need 50kwh(200kgcells) to drive 400km.
Certainly possible. I have a document here that says that the drivetrain of an Audi A2 weighs 483kg! An A2 weighs overall 1000kg.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A2

The limitation on the 0-60 time is actually traction. If you put normal tires on the P85 you would not get the same 0-60 times. To accelerate even faster then the P85 you would need softer tires that would last an even shorter period of time, more weight on the rear tires (ie like the Roadster), 4 wheel drive, or much wider tires. Only with more traction would more horsepower gain you anything.

I think this is only partially true. It's probably true from about 0-20 MPH. This would be consistent with my 2011 Mustang GT rated at 412 HP and 390 lb.-ft. of torque with 0-60 of 4.5 seconds and 13.0 quarter mile (this was my baby for about 2 years until the electrification of the automobile became a reality). And it only had 235/50 R18s stock. With traction control off, it generally wouldn't break the tires loose after about 20 MPH, if I remember correctly. I don't think the stock Mustang GT tires were any softer than Tesla P85 tires.