Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get a couple?!? I guess in this example tesla should charge for them.

Since cars come standard with 2 keys (or key fobs) and mine did not, I don't see asking for 2 when they become available being excessive. Do you? I mean the key card cost them maybe $1 each considering bulk ordering. Key Fobs are much more expensive but again come standard with new cars.

Since cars come standard with 2 keys (or key fobs) and mine did not, I don't see asking for 2 when they become available being excessive. Do you? I mean the key card cost them maybe $1 each considering bulk ordering. Key Fobs are much more expensive but again come standard with new cars.

2 not accessive. Couple like 5-6 excessive.

But then a lot of people didn’t want it to begin with. But because it’s free everyone will just go get 2.

So that’s why I think they should charge for it. But hey free is nice. I’ll take two!

2 not accessive. Couple like 5-6 excessive.

But then a lot of people didn’t want it to begin with. But because it’s free everyone will just go get 2.

So that’s why I think they should charge for it. But hey free is nice. I’ll take two!

A couple literally means 2. So no, a couple is NOT excessive. 5 or 6 are, absolutely. But no, a couple are not. And yes, if everyone who bought a Model 3 asked for 2, no that is NOT excessive. They should have come with them instead of the failed cards. Tesla bet on a cheaper solution that didn't work. Now all they are out of is the miniscule cost of the cards, which over the 300k cars or so they have delivered does add up, that's part of the cost of doing business. They thought they had a better solution (though any real test would have shown they needed more than what they did), they did not. So now they're paying the 1 mil extra to have key fobs to everyone who should have already had them.

Again, I personally don't need any. I'm mostly thinking in the future when I eventually sell my 3 to buy a new whatever is better at the time and the people to who purchase want the fobs. But, still I want 2 as that's what's standard. Yes, I agree, if I were to ask for 10, I should pay for any above 2. But to call me, or imply that I am selfish or an ass for wanting 2, even I don't plan to use them personally, is stupid.

Quote from the article: “Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost. Again, no specific timeline has been provided to us in regards to availability, so we suggest you reach out to your Tesla contacts to obtain more details.”

I would not assume that is true just because an anonymous writer at InsideEVs says it is. Find me an official statement from Tesla (not from an employee in a Tesla showroom or Service Center) and I’ll believe it.

A couple literally means 2. So no, a couple is NOT excessive. 5 or 6 are, absolutely. But no, a couple are not. And yes, if everyone who bought a Model 3 asked for 2, no that is NOT excessive. They should have come with them instead of the failed cards. Tesla bet on a cheaper solution that didn't work. Now all they are out of is the miniscule cost of the cards, which over the 300k cars or so they have delivered does add up, that's part of the cost of doing business. They thought they had a better solution (though any real test would have shown they needed more than what they did), they did not. So now they're paying the 1 mil extra to have key fobs to everyone who should have already had them.

Again, I personally don't need any. I'm mostly thinking in the future when I eventually sell my 3 to buy a new whatever is better at the time and the people to who purchase want the fobs. But, still I want 2 as that's what's standard. Yes, I agree, if I were to ask for 10, I should pay for any above 2. But to call me, or imply that I am selfish or an ass for wanting 2, even I don't plan to use them personally, is stupid.
I kinda like the cards. Different strokes for different folks I guess. All I know is that the cards will likely still function after a trip through the washing machine in my jeans. The FOBs probably wouldn't survive that...

If the fob has to be taken out and a key pressed, then I don't view it as an improvement over the card. If it can stay in a pocket/purse and work like a Prius fob then it is tempting but expensive and subject to man-in-middle thefts.

Tesla has bowed to popular noise but I'm skeptical of the benefit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hans L and Dana1
If the fob has to be taken out and a key pressed, then I don't view it as an improvement over the card. If it can stay in a pocket/purse and work like a Prius fob then it is tempting but expensive and subject to man-in-middle thefts.

Tesla has bowed to popular noise but I'm skeptical of the benefit.

why would it work any differently from the s and x? those both allow you to keep the fob in your pocket (how the phone key is supposed to work) don't they?

why would it work any differently from the s and x? those both allow you to keep the fob in your pocket (how the phone key is supposed to work) don't they?
Yes, that's how the fob works, no need to touch It to open or lock the car.

The buttons allow some additional control, such as opening the frunk, trunk, charge port, as well as auto doors and summon for those who have those features.