Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll take mine and store it. I'll never use it. I have had 0 problems with my key cards and even when my phone won't open the door, all I do is just try it again. I don't even have to take my key card out. All I do is hold my wallet up and it works fine, or place it under the arm rest and move the car.

That's super. I've never had a problem with the card either, but the key card can't open the frunk and it can't summon and it requires me to manually re-lock the car like a peasant in the 1980s. The mobile app solution is fine for some people or they're willing to tolerate the shortcomings. I'd be "fine" without a fob, but I'll be happier with one. Just like I'd be "fine" if I hadn't bought a Tesla… but I'm happier with one. Why not want the best in all features?

And, I have 0 desire to go back to carrying a FOB in my pocket. I hate driving my truck now because I have to go back in the house and get the FOB and then I have something else in my pocket. Sucks.

Then don't use it. Nobody's going to come to your house and stab your pets if you choose to keep using the mobile phone as a key.

I swear on the dark leprechaun colonies of pluto, I simply don't get why people want to shove their use cases down everyone's throat when it's a clearly OPTIONAL thing.

Then don't use it. Nobody's going to come to your house and stab your pets if you choose to keep using the mobile phone as a key.

I swear on the dark leprechaun colonies of pluto, I simply don't get why people want to shove their use cases down everyone's throat when it's a clearly OPTIONAL thing.
Somehow, it seems like they've convinced themselves that their way is the only correct way. After all, if there was a more correct way, they'd be doing it, right?

So, here it is, people:

1. If you like the keycard and want to use it as your primary means to unlock/lock/drive the Model 3, then by all means, continue using it! I might silently judge you, but I won't act like you're missing something. I'm sure you've thought through the situation for yourself and decided that's how you like it. Continue on!

2. If you like the phone-as-key and want to use it as your primary means to unlock/lock/drive the Model 3, then by all means, continue using it! I might silently judge you, but I won't act like you're missing something. I'm sure you've thought through the situation for yourself and decided that's how you like it. Continue on!

3. If you would prefer to have a fob and want to use it as your primary means to unlock/lock/drive the Model 3, then by all means, continue using it! I won't judge you, since this is my preference as well, but I won't act like my way is the only way and all others are missing something. I'm sure you've thought through the situation for yourself and decided that's how you like it. Continue on!

Last edited:
The card solution is terrible for valets though. We already lost one and even when you have them, they’re confusing for people who aren’t used to driving the car. Before my wife actually lost hers, it kept getting temporarily lost in cracks and crevices of the car because she would forget to put it back in her wallet before she drove off.

A black card on a black console with black seats and black carpets next to it. What could possibly go wrong? After "loosing" the card several times it is obvious they want you to :tap" the card and then put in your wallet and try to stick your wallet back in your pants. They could have made a card slot to hold the card, but then you would leave it in the car when exiting. Typically my phone would open the car, I would buckle up and shift into R and get the tap card message so I have to unbuckle, twist around to get the wallet, tap, re-twist and re-buckle. I wanna fob or a phone system that works 100%, not 80%.

Reactions: Hank42 and N5329K
The keycard is just as, if not more, fiddly for me than the smartphone. The car being in "deep sleep" mode doesn't help.

The Model 3 (no idea about the other Teslas) is just not for people who are in a rush often. I've never had a problem unlocking, jumping in, and driving away in any ICE car I've had. I've been stuck for up to 15-20 minutes with this car troubleshooting it and trying to get it to wake up so I can drive away.
That's interesting because I'm always in a rush in the morning to get to work and I find that it takes way less time for me to get out the door than with and ICE. Granted I don't have any issues with the phone as a key function.

The phone solution works perfectly for me. I keep a card in my wallet for backup, but I hope to never have to use it.

But, I definitely want a key fob. Not for myself, but to lend to others. If someone wants to borrow the car, giving them a key card and explaining to them how to use it is just too much. Handing them a key fob is pretty much self explanatory. And no, I do not want to put all my relative's phones on my car either....

Reactions: GenSao
I'm reasonable personally, but you count on bad behavior which is why free is such a horrible thing. Tesla should have charged -something-. They burnt money / left money on table for no reason. No one would complain about $25 fobs and wouldn't buy 10 of them.
This entire thread is premised on one online article claiming Tesla will offer Model 3 key fobs for free. I would not assume the article is correct.

It is clear that there will be a Model 3 key fob available in the near future. It is not clear on whether or not it will be free to current and future owners. My guess is that it will not be free. But I have no inside information one way or the other.

Reactions: BluestarE3
This entire thread is premised on one online article claiming Tesla will offer Model 3 key fobs for free. I would not assume the article is correct.

It is clear that there will be a Model 3 key fob available in the near future. It is not clear on whether or not it will be free to current and future owners. My guess is that it will not be free. But I have no inside information one way or the other.

that one sentence just about sums up what is wrong with the world today...

"i have no inside information one way or the other, but you should believe my guess rather than the article that says it contacted someone from tesla to get information from them."

...and then people will believe that random guess, and expand upon it until people forget the article that includes information from a source at tesla even exists. we, as a society, are so screwed...

The phone solution works perfectly for me. I keep a card in my wallet for backup, but I hope to never have to use it.

But, I definitely want a key fob. Not for myself, but to lend to others. If someone wants to borrow the car, giving them a key card and explaining to them how to use it is just too much. Handing them a key fob is pretty much self explanatory. And no, I do not want to put all my relative's phones on my car either....
Phone as key kinda sucks for people who own multiple Teslas. The 3 is not my primary car, but I do drive it often and very often have to control it (ie, open the charge port, open the door or trunk to get something). But since my Tesla app is usually set to my Model X, I have to take out my phone, unlock it, open the Tesla app and then swipe to the Model 3 in order to do anything. It's much less convenient than if I had a fob in my pocket, which I would if we had one.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
Can't avoid it when you're driving into the city unfortunately. However my wife is considering switching back to BART until they figure out if Salesforce Tower is going to collapse or not.
You can absolutely avoid it if you're dedicated enough (LA is very valet-heavy as well, and when I'dm own there I self-park and then Uber to wherever I'm going if I must). I won't park my car in SF though, not until the burglary situation improves.