Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inspect and re-seal front upper control arm by mobile service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Got a text message today from Tesla Mobile Service asking me if I would like to schedule a mobile tech to come out and perform service on my front upper control arms per a recently released (???) service bulletin. I haven't had any problems in that area, as far as I know, but since they said the service was free, I opted to have it done between 12 and 4pm tomorrow. Will let you all know how it works out. I asked if they could also install my cabin filters and they said yes. They're actually a set from TEMAI so I hope they don't object. Most likely I'll get charged for this service and that's okay by me.

Got a text message today from Tesla Mobile Service asking me if I would like to schedule a mobile tech to come out and perform service on my front upper control arms per a recently released (???) service bulletin. I haven't had any problems in that area, as far as I know, but since they said the service was free, I opted to have it done between 12 and 4pm tomorrow. Will let you all know how it works out. I asked if they could also install my cabin filters and they said yes. They're actually a set from TEMAI so I hope they don't object. Most likely I'll get charged for this service and that's okay by me.
I am wondering if this is the same thing I got a notice for? They added urethane around the front upper control joints to prevent moisture from getting in (or at least that is what the paperwork from Tesla says.) Took about 30 mins for him to do the work.

that fix - based on reviews and other articles - is patching / delaying a problem at best ... the upper control arm won't develop a squeak as quickly and the patch likely will get you through the 4yr/50k miles warranty line.... after that you still need a control arm but it's no longer on Tesla.

I really like my Model 3 but the amount of control arm issues across various models isn't fun. Absent of being abused... a control arm assembly should easily last 70k+ miles and not crap out under 20-30k miles going by posts here.

I am wondering if this is the same thing I got a notice for? They added urethane around the front upper control joints to prevent moisture from getting in (or at least that is what the paperwork from Tesla says.) Took about 30 mins for him to do the work.
Most likely this is the same fix. Here's photos of my left and right control arms prior to the work being done:

Left (driver side)
tesla_model_3_front_control_arm_prefix_left.jpg

Right (passenger) side:
tesla_model_3_front_control_arm_prefix_right.jpg

I'll post photos after the service.

edit: FYI, I have 19,625 miles on the car. Front tires are original (and have not been rotated, mainly due to the rear tires being replaced at about 13.1K.

Tech (Brandon) arrived about a half hour early and all work was completed in about 20 minutes. It's hard to see what was done with the control arms as it seems to have involved putting the urethane on top where I couldn't get a good photo. But you can see some of the stuff now draped over the side:

Left (driver side) postfix #1:
tesla_model_3_front_control_arm_postfix_left1.jpg

Left (driver) side postfix #2:
tesla_model_3_front_control_arm_postfix_left2.jpg

Right (passenger) side postfix #1:
tesla_model_3_front_control_arm_postfix_right1.jpg

Right (passenger) side postfix #2:
tesla_model_3_front_control_arm_postfix_right2.jpg

As I said earlier, I have not ever heard any kind of squeaking / knocking / rubbing coming from this area. Blasting my stereo at 11 doesn't help :) . Brandon said he has only dealt with a couple of cars where he's heard the problem out of hundreds he has worked on. But then this service is supposed to be a proactive (band-aid? temporary?) solution. Was told not to drive the car for about 30 minutes in order to let the goo set. Have yet to receive any paperwork for this service but I will update when it comes in.

Reactions: android04
Yeah, if I was ambitious enough I would have removed the frunk and taken photos. I actually wished the tech had to do that as I am planning on putting in a 12V accessory outlet in the frunk. Probably will do that the same time I replace the 12V battery with a lithium ion one. If I wait long enough maybe Tesla will have one for the Model 3 and I won't have to go the Ohmmu route.

Was waiting around for the invoice to hit my email inbox when I checked my phone to see a text from Tesla saying to look for the invoice in the app (??!!). It's been over a year since getting any service done so that was a surprise. Even more of a surprise was when I clicked on the link for the invoice and it launched my phone's browser (Chrome, since I have a Samsung S6 Edge) and nothing appeared except for a tab that was already open. Looked at my Download folder and saw a file named "undefined". No filename extension, just "undefined". Figuring it was a PDF, I renamed it "tesla-service-control-arms-cabin-filter.pdf". However, my phone added a period after the "pdf" (!! WTF?). End result is that I still could not open the file.

Seeing as the Tesla app tried to access a URL at ownership.tesla.com, I signed into my Tesla account with Chrome and tried downloading the invoice again. Same thing; a file named "undefined". As a last resort, I emailed the .pdf. file to myself and wouldn't you know it, the file arrived in my inbox without the extra period.

So here's the (redacted) invoice:
tesla_service_front_control_arms_cabin_filter_1.jpg

tesla_service_front_control_arms_cabin_filter_2.jpg

Another surprise is that the tech checked the hood latch due to some service bulletin but found everything okay. The filters cost $31.50 to replace or 9 minutes of labor at the current rate of $210/hr.

edit: Found the TSB for the hood latch:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and Rmchrger
Can anyone tell me if this is the sound of upper control arms needing resealing (or replacing) ? It only does it at pretty much standstill speeds, not when on the move.

If so, should I be pushing for replacement or will they just reseal?

March 2020 M3P, done just over 2k miles but has been washed many times so the wheel arches will have been given quite a bit of light pressure washer treatment in that time.

Can anyone tell me if this is the sound of upper control arms needing resealing (or replacing) ? It only does it at pretty much standstill speeds, not when on the move.

March 2020 M3P, done just over 2k miles but has been washed many times so the wheel arches will have been given quite a bit of light pressure washer treatment in that time.
It could be, but not necessarily the upper control arms. To be sure, you need to be moving and hear the squeaky sound as you go over uneven pavement or bumps. The sound you are getting could just be from the brakes being set and the front wheels turning a bit when you turn the steering wheel.

Reactions: Durzel

wow, sounds like you brought your rooster with you!

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
Too bad there's not a way to add a grease fitting.
There is, but it's not too easy and doesn't work perfectly. See Time to replace upper-control arm ball joints

The Electrified Garage used to sell a kit to do that as well, but they don't anymore. The problem is that you are screwing into plastic, and it's easy to overtighten the zerk and pop it out. Also, you have to be careful not to pump too much pressure into the joint because you risk blowing out the zerk.

For what it's worth, I just took my 2018 M3 in on Monday to deal with a loud squeak that turned out to be the upper control arms. They were both replaced under warranty. Also, the tech informed me that the noise can sound like it's coming from anywhere; in my case it seemed to be emanating from above the windshield.

I’ve booked my car into Tesla and provided them the above video, and they’ve come back with a diagnosis/estimate to have both upper control arms replaced.

Does that seem right for a 2020 car that’s only done 2k miles?

Also they want the car for the whole day, apparently they think it will take several hours..

Just to reiterate - the noise only occurs when turning the wheel when stationary really. I don’t even know if it’s “normal” (although it sounds bad). Does anyone else get any kind of noise when turning the wheels whilst manoeuvring the car?

My car does the same exact thing. I took it in for service about a year ago, and the tech told me it was perfectly normal. it only happens when the car is in ‘hold’ (brakes are applied). As someone mentioned mentioned above, he said it was the brakes scrubbing a bit when I’m in full lock (on brake ‘hold’), maneuvering in tight spaces. I hear it pretty much always when I’m in the garage, but only when in a tight maneuver, on brake hold. Never hear anything on the road.

Well, I mentioned this on the site a few commenters said the tech didn’t know what he was talking about. They said it was in fact the ball joint issue and they’re trying to avoid taking care of it. I wanted to be sure so, with only about 5k left on my warranty, I made another appointment to have this done. They removed and replaced both upper control arms at no cost to me. I suspect they didn’t even road test the car to diagnose, since this is a ‘known issue.‘

Either way, the car still makes the same noise. In fact, the loaner Model 3 they gave me, and I drove for 3 days made the same noise under the same conditions. At this point I’m tempted to believe it’s as the tech said, and a common (though brief) sound when in the exact circumstances I described, and that you demonstrated.

Here’s something I wish I’d have tried before I even bothered with the service: put the car in neutral on a completely level surface (brake ‘hold’ off). Maneuver the same as you did in the video, foot off brakes. If it does not make that sound then, I suspect it is as the tech said, and it’s working as designed.

I’m going to go over to my service appointment tomorrow and just ask them to give it an inspection and lubricate the brakes etc if needed.

I took your advice @ODWms and put the car in neutral and did what I did in that video, and it didn’t make a noise (except the sound of powered steering), so I think you were probably right about the brakes scrubbing whilst in hold with the wheels steering from side to side.

Although Tesla have already booked the car in for replacement upper control arms, I don’t think it’s that now, particularly as it doesn’t do it as I’m driving, but I definitely get a squeal occasionally when lifting off the brakes.