Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inspection & PTO process when adding additional powerwall(s) & panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received PTO on my 2 powerwall and 8.16 kW pv purchased thru Tesla, I now of course want to add one more power wall and possibly 4 additional panels ( I know should have done it all at once but ,,, what are you gonna do ).
So my question is what is inspection / PTO process as far as using existing already approved powerwalls ? Simply cannot switch on additional power wall circuit breaker until PTO ? How would addition of panels work since cannot keep new panels “offline” from new ?
Or is addition of powerwalls and/or panels viewed as one all new system for purposes of inspection & PTO and I must go back to “ extensive off grid testing “ until new PTO received ?
I am on SCE if that is relevant

Last edited:
The additional powerwall isnt really an issue. The PTO kind of wont matter since once its installed and you pass your city / county inspections, you can pretty much just run it till you get official PTO. When you add powerwalls to existing solar, you are reducing load on the grid etc, so its more about the city / county inspection (is it safe, and installed to code?).

Most of the time, companies dont want to simply "add panels" to an existing system, so you will need to find out if they will even do that. If so, I am not sure how that would work.

Not dead set on adding panels .. just wanted to add 4 to get bundle discount with the additional powerwall .. if Tesla does not want to or cannot add panels then I would be fine with just adding 3rd powerwall ...
I would definitely run system off grid prior to PTO ... just curious how process differed for adding vs all new

Not dead set on adding panels .. just wanted to add 4 to get bundle discount with the additional powerwall .. if Tesla does not want to or cannot add panels then I would be fine with just adding 3rd powerwall ...
I would definitely run system off grid prior to PTO ... just curious how process differed for adding vs all new
@Electrph did you ever figured out adding additional powerwall? I got 8.16kWh +2PWs and was thinking of adding another one, as soon as UL+ spec pass so I can stack them.