Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inspection requirements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two power walls installed outside in my side yard and was told by tesla team to remove the plantars ( which were installed by landscapers years ago ) by the time inspection arrives, as the plantars are below the PW ,removing the heavy planters looks like a big project. Wondering how picky the inspection team is regarding this details, Looking back I should have told them to install inside the garage
I live in norther California.

Ordered 4/2021
PW installed 08/24/2021
Solar installed 08/25/2021
System not turned on, nothing visible in Tesla app
Told to wait till PG/E installs back up collar around the utility meter , followed by inspection

I had two power walls installed outside in my side yard and was told by tesla team to remove the plantars ( which were installed by landscapers years ago ) by the time inspection arrives, as the plantars are below the PW ,removing the heavy planters looks like a big project. Wondering how picky the inspection team is regarding this details, Looking back I should have told them to install inside the garage

Ordered 4/2021
PW installed 08/24/2021
Told to wait till PG/E installs back up collar around the utility meter , followed by inspection

Let me ask you a return question instead. If you fail inspection because of the planters that tesla told you to move before hand, delaying your PTO because the inspector would have to come back, and also get charged a fee because tesla has to pay for another trip for the inspector, would you come here (or anywhere) online to complain about how you were wronged?

I dont have an answer to your question, but you are basically asking:

"Can I ignore the action that tesla told me to take before inspection?".

No one is going to be able to tell you that, because it is going to depend on codes and your local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ). Ignoring what they said, however, means you need to be 100% onboard with whatever consequences that might entail, including extra fees because of additional visits etc. I am not saying that is going to happen, I am just saying its possible, and what do you gain by ignoring the direct thing they told you to do?

Reactions: ngkl and Ampster

Ordered 4/2021
PW installed 08/24/2021
Has Tesla given you a date on when to expect PGE to come out? I’m in the same boat but can’t get anyone from Tesla to get back to me.

Ordered 4/2021
PW installed 08/24/2021
Move the planters, the Powerwalls need NEC required working space near them.
This looks like a 30" wide area, 36" deep in front of the Powerwalls. Nothing can be closer than 6" from the face of the Powerwalls.

Many installers are pushing installations outside when they know the interior requirements are unpredictable and sometimes onerous.

In this case, I am surprised they didn't discuss this with you beforehand and get some buy in, as it sounds like you have a significant job to do to make the location compliant.

Post a picture of the area if you like.

Reactions: ngkl