Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install 100d battery in 2015 S 85d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The form factor of the 100 battery precludes it from fitting in older ModeL S/X - a 90 battery will fit though as noted above. Barely worth the effort.
The new 85kwh (350v) battery that Tesla is putting in some older cars as a replacement battery appears to be based on a 100 pack with 2 modules removed so that it fits. That battery is an actual upgrade with 285 mile range.

If you have an 85D with air suspension, a 100kWh pack is a drop in replacement for an 85 (with the Tesla-made adapter ring, if your car didn't have a 2.0 pack already). They just wont do upgrades.

If you don't have air suspension, that's another story. Then it would screw up the weight numbers for your car and I understand why they wont do it.

The form factor of the 100 battery precludes it from fitting in older ModeL S/X - a 90 battery will fit though as noted above. Barely worth the effort.
The new 85kwh (350v) battery that Tesla is putting in some older cars as a replacement battery appears to be based on a 100 pack with 2 modules removed so that it fits. That battery is an actual upgrade with 285 mile range.
I don’t see how removing two internal modules would in any way affect “fit” or “form factor”, other than the aforementioned weight difference from the extra cells.

Reactions: Knightowl
My battery went bad 3 weeks ago. They said a 100kw wouldn't fit. I asked for 90kw. They said I was getting a RE furbished 85kw. I asked about warranty, no one had an answer. Not even the service manager. Cross that on another day.

Same boat, no final answer on warranty, verbally I was told it was covered under a 4yr 50k mile warranty when I picked up the car but per warranty terms on their website it is covered for the remainder of original warranty which for me is 11 more months. Will fight that future battle if needed but hopefully will never come to it.

Same boat, no final answer on warranty, verbally I was told it was covered under a 4yr 50k mile warranty when I picked up the car but per warranty terms on their website it is covered for the remainder of original warranty which for me is 11 more months. Will fight that future battle if needed but hopefully will never come to it.
The written warranty doc is indeed the “final answer” and the only one that carries any legal weight. The language in the warranty doc is clear as day. There’s no ambiguity here.

The written warranty doc is indeed the “final answer” and the only one that carries any legal weight. The language in the warranty doc is clear as day. There’s no ambiguity here.

Well it's a damn shame on tesla then for continuing to have reps lie to my face. Anyways, I will fight that in the future if I need to and if the battery fails after 11months and they say take a hike then it will be a parts car at that point and I will likely buy something else. As always vote with your $$.