Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install a 40 or 50 amp line for NEMA 14-50 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the X with 48A onboard charger what's the benefit of getting the new HPWC vs. getting a NEMA 14-50 done for $350. Please help me understand. thanks!

The UMC can supply a maximum of 40A, whereas the HPWC has the capability of supplying a maximum of 80A (but can supply your X with 48A). Doubtful, that the additional 8A is going to make a bit difference for your overnight charging needs.

I have been charging on a 14-30 at 24A for over 60,000 miles with 80 and 160-mile commutes.

• Helpful
Reactions: ssq
The UMC can supply a maximum of 40A, whereas the HPWC has the capability of supplying a maximum of 80A (but can supply your X with 48A). Doubtful, that the additional 8A is going to make a bit difference for your overnight charging needs.

I have been charging on a 14-30 at 24A for over 60,000 miles with 80 and 160-mile commutes.
Right. I set mine to 33 amps due to the poor power from the deregulated utility in my area.

• Informative
Reactions: ssq and linkster
Wow! That's a lot of info. to digest. I'll speak with a couple of licensed electricians and see what they recommend. I'll post their recommendations here to get feedback. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to comment. It's much appreciated!

I totally forgot our house has a hot tub (that we've never touched), which means there's a dedicated circuit for it, right? Here's what it looks like. Is there no actual "plug" in scenarios like this? Does this make things easier? We still need to upgrade the panel to get rid of the Federal Pacific box, but we may not need to upgrade the service....right?

Will be calling an electrician this week to take a look..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 134
I totally forgot our house has a hot tub (that we've never touched), which means there's a dedicated circuit for it, right? Here's what it looks like. Is there no actual "plug" in scenarios like this? Does this make things easier? We still need to upgrade the panel to get rid of the Federal Pacific box, but we may not need to upgrade the service....right?

Will be calling an electrician this week to take a look..
I don't have an experience or own hot tubs but I am very sure it runs on a 240V line. I think from what I see that its connected directly without a plug and the panel with the breaker is what lets you control it ON/OFF. The conduit seems to run from underneath the concrete pathway and the conduit on the left corner of the bat tub is where its connected. I zoomed in and it looked like it says "50" on at least on breaker arm, the other one may be 50A too, but from the pic it looks like a 10A. I think you can add a socket onto this line but from my understanding you cannot concurrently operate the hot tub and charge the car. Since you say you are not using the hot tub, you may be all set! I will let the experts chime in..

I don't have an experience or own hot tubs but I am very sure it runs on a 240V line. I think from what I see that its connected directly without a plug and the panel with the breaker is what lets you control it ON/OFF. The conduit seems to run from underneath the concrete pathway and the conduit on the left corner of the bat tub is where its connected. I zoomed in and it looked like it says "50" on at least on breaker arm, the other one may be 50A too, but from the pic it looks like a 10A. I think you can add a socket onto this line but from my understanding you cannot concurrently operate the hot tub and charge the car. Since you say you are not using the hot tub, you may be all set! I will let the experts chime in..

They say "50" on each switch....

Yes, hot tubs like that are generally connected using permanent wiring methods. It means you likely have a space available in your panel. It doesn't necessarily mean that your load calculations are going to pass, though, because the hot tub's nameplate might be less than 50A.

Yes, hot tubs like that are generally connected using permanent wiring methods. It means you likely have a space available in your panel. It doesn't necessarily mean that your load calculations are going to pass, though, because the hot tub's nameplate might be less than 50A.

So that box in the picture is not considered a separate panel? Here's a close-up of the box by the hot tub...

And no, we don't and won't be using the hot tub, lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I'm not trying to hijack this informative thread, but my question is related and this appears to be where the electricians hang out. If OP wants me to start a separate thread, please say so.

Situation: I've installed a 14-50 and am using it almost nightly. We will be selling the house in 1-3 years. I realize now that I should have installed a HPWC, as I have to step in mud/snow to plug in my mobile cable.
1. Is it possible to leave 14-50 and "plug in" a HPWC on a semi-permanent basis, taking it with me when we move?
2. Is it safe to use one of those really thick RV extension cords and then plug mobile charger into that, bypassing mud?
3. Has anyone left a mobile charger plugged in with a dog that likes to chew things?
4. If #1 doesn't work, how difficult would it be for electrician to replace outlet with HPWC and then revert when we sell the house?

I'm not trying to hijack this informative thread, but my question is related and this appears to be where the electricians hang out. If OP wants me to start a separate thread, please say so.

Situation: I've installed a 14-50 and am using it almost nightly. We will be selling the house in 1-3 years. I realize now that I should have installed a HPWC, as I have to step in mud/snow to plug in my mobile cable.
1. Is it possible to leave 14-50 and "plug in" a HPWC on a semi-permanent basis, taking it with me when we move?
2. Is it safe to use one of those really thick RV extension cords and then plug mobile charger into that, bypassing mud?
3. Has anyone left a mobile charger plugged in with a dog that likes to chew things?
4. If #1 doesn't work, how difficult would it be for electrician to replace outlet with HPWC and then revert when we sell the house?

See my FAQ (in my signature below) for answers to #1/#2. #3 - I've seen squirrel damage to mobile chargers, not pretty. if you can protect it, you probably want to. #4 - it's relatively easy to turn an existing 14-50 receptacle box into a junction box that will connect to a mounted HPWC - you can then pull it when you move.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan