Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install cost for PW2’s Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 8 months of waiting, Tesla has drawn up a work order for 2 PW2’s. They did honor the lower price in effect at the time of the order but install cost will be $2200. No panel upgrade needed and gateway is a separate charge. They are going in just under the guts of the PV system in my garage on the floor.

I have signed off on it but have 3 days to cancel. What say you all: fair price or not?

Thanks!

After 8 months of waiting, Tesla has drawn up a work order for 2 PW2’s. They did honor the lower price in effect at the time of the order but install cost will be $2200. No panel upgrade needed and gateway is a separate charge. They are going in just under the guts of the PV system in my garage on the floor.

I have signed off on it but have 3 days to cancel. What say you all: fair price or not?

Thanks!
I have 2 going in my garage too. The installation cost is the same as yours.

So is your total quoted cost about $14k + tax (if applicable)?

$5,500 x 2 for PW2s; $800 for Gateway; $2,200 installation

I’m in a similar position with 2 reservations from the date of introduction (was it way back on Oct 31, 2016...if my long-term memory works that far back?!), when I put down $500. I thought some folks with day one reservations (before the Gateway existed) might have mentioned getting the Gateway free? (since the total advertised price was only $5,500 plus installation)

If it's a reservation, I would argue whatever terms were current at the time of the reservation.
But the Gateway didn’t exist - at least not identified separately by name - at the time of Tesla’s PW2 unveiling on October 31, 2016 (which was the date I put down $500 for my reservation). Ergo, the gray area that prompted my question...which may be rhetorical since no one knows Tesla’s actual policy. My reservation says I’m buying the PW2 hardware, but never explicitly references the Gateway that now appears to be a necessary piece of hardware to make my PW2 work. So one could argue my Gateway should be included at no additional charge. But I doubt that’s Tesla’s position. I’ve asked; no one knows at Tesla. Furthermore, no one at Tesla can tell me how many more years (2.33 so far) before my PW2 will be available for an Iowa installation! :(

• Love
Reactions: Mickey Mouse
I called Tesla in December 2018 to see if they would honor the price on my PW2 and gateway from a September 2017 reservation.

I was told they would not honor the price. The reservation was to get in line for the product, at whatever price it was when it became available. I pointed out that they had delivered product to people behind me in line, when the price was lower. They then told me that when I was designated to receive the actual product, I could discuss the terms more at that time,and ask for reconsideration.

So I gave up, and purchased the devices from a third party installer who actually maintains an inventory on these ! Yes, he has them available for immediate installation.

And of course, I paid the current price rather than the agreed to reservation price.

The whole thing stinks, when you get a fake 'reservation', they don't honor the 'reservation', and then they jack up the price.

I called Tesla in December 2018 to see if they would honor the price on my PW2 and gateway from a September 2017 reservation.

I was told they would not honor the price. The reservation was to get in line for the product, at whatever price it was when it became available. I pointed out that they had delivered product to people behind me in line, when the price was lower. They then told me that when I was designated to receive the actual product, I could discuss the terms more at that time,and ask for reconsideration.

So I gave up, and purchased the devices from a third party installer who actually maintains an inventory on these ! Yes, he has them available for immediate installation.

And of course, I paid the current price rather than the agreed to reservation price.

The whole thing stinks, when you get a fake 'reservation', they don't honor the 'reservation', and then they jack up the price.
Did you put down the $500 deposit with your reservation? If so, Tesla has really crossed an ethical line whereby our good faith deposits paid are nothing more than a multi-year, interest free loan to Tesla! :mad:

My 1,000 days of waiting between my day one $1,000 reservation on my 3 was also equally worthless, as it just meant I had to pay $3,500 down (after adding my $2500 order payment) to order my MR 3, when my friend recently (late 2018) ordered her 3 with only $2,500 down and got her 3 a month later. Who will put down a deposit on the Y when it really means nothing?

But the Gateway didn’t exist - at least not identified separately by name - at the time of Tesla’s PW2 unveiling on October 31, 2016 (which was the date I put down $500 for my reservation). Ergo, the gray area that prompted my question...which may be rhetorical since no one knows Tesla’s actual policy. My reservation says I’m buying the PW2 hardware, but never explicitly references the Gateway that now appears to be a necessary piece of hardware to make my PW2 work. So one could argue my Gateway should be included at no additional charge. But I doubt that’s Tesla’s position. I’ve asked; no one knows at Tesla. Furthermore, no one at Tesla can tell me how many more years (2.33 so far) before my PW2 will be available for an Iowa installation! :(

Hmm. I had understood that the deposit for the Powerwall was just the Powerwall, and to make it work you needed the gateway, otherwise what good is a Powerwall.

I like you put down my deposit a few hours after the presentation was was lucky to get it all done back in Sept of 2016.

Here's my entire Powerwall timeline = Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

• Informative
Reactions: Mickey Mouse
Did you put down the $500 deposit with your reservation? If so, Tesla has really crossed an ethical line whereby our good faith deposits paid are nothing more than a multi-year, interest free loan to Tesla! :mad:

Yes, I did put $500 down on each unit, and it got me nothing other than the airline miles on my credit card.

I just got my refund from Tesla yesterday for the deposit, so I have to give them credit for returning the money in only 2 weeks after I gave up.

After the first price hike, they sent an email saying that they would honor the old price.

After the first price hike, they sent an email saying that they would honor the old price.

Perhaps that was part of the problem. I received ZERO communication from Tesla , as a reservation holder, for 15 months.

All communication was started from my side.

I called Tesla and asked the specific question if they would honor the pricing, and was told NO. However, I realize that Tesla is fairly dysfunctional and doesn't communicate internally very well either. You could argue that I should have made a ruckus and argued for the old price. But Tesla wasn't even offering to sell me the Powerwalls at ANY price. Yet at the same time I had an offer from an installer to sell them to me, at the NEW price.

Yes, this whole 'reservation' concept has me feeling abused and betrayed by Tesla.

Definitely not reserving or ordering ANYTHING from Tesla again, until I am really ready to buy.