Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install day tips!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After almost a year of waiting, install day is almost here! Curious if anyone has tips for that day.

One thing I'd like to ensure is that conduit runs through the attic rather than around the overhang (which is a terrible look IMO). Not sure how much influence I will have over the specific install details.

After almost a year of waiting, install day is almost here! Curious if anyone has tips for that day.

One thing I'd like to ensure is that conduit runs through the attic rather than around the overhang (which is a terrible look IMO). Not sure how much influence I will have over the specific install details.
You can discuss with the foreman, but they will give you a quote on how much extra it would cost. They will only install conduit outside otherwise. The cost quoted was higher than what I thought was fair and after emailing my advisor about it the additional charges dropped from my account. Never responded to me, but can’t complain I guess.

Have you seen the layout? Are you ready with possible changes in layout, if they offer you a choice are you ready to choose?

Same applies for the location of other equipment (like load centers, batteries and conduits).

If you have touchup paint that matches house/trim, etc. know where it is. It seems to be hit and miss thing but some teams paint conduits to match and may ask for it.

Depending on what they are installing, you might want to have a wired Ethernet ready if that is your thing. Otherwise have WiFi configuration ready. Also is there adequate WiFi signal where the equipment (Gateway and Inverters in general) that need to connect go?

Ask them if they are going to demonstrate that the system is working before they leave.

None of this is mandatory.

In addition to above, also have the Tesla app already installed on your phone and verify that everything works before they leave. If you're getting a neurio, you can usually tell if it was installed properly via the app.

Should be a few other install day threads around here or on the Tesla Energy Facebook group.

Just curious, which devices would benefit from a wired ethernet cable? One for each PW, PW+ or anything specific or just one for the whole system?
IMHO the wired ethernet is more reliable and consistent than Wifi. Also, there is no signal attenuation when passing through walls. Going from inside to outside with Wifi can be going through a Faraday cage with stucco walls.

Reactions: gpez
IMHO the wired ethernet is more reliable and consistent than Wifi. Also, there is no signal attenuation when passing through walls. Going from inside to outside with Wifi can be going through a Faraday cage with stucco walls.
I meant to ask what devices need connectivity for planning purposes. Sounds like it's only the GW, I thought it may have been all of the individual powerwalls and such.

For my system, only the GW gets wired in, not the PWs
Thanks!

I meant to ask what devices need connectivity for planning purposes. Sounds like it's only the GW, I thought it may have been all of the individual powerwalls and such.
Yes, only the GW component needs to have internet. At least with my GW2, it controls power flows and monitors the other parts of the system. To the GW2, Powerwalls are just another power source/sink.

We did the same. A fed crew is a happy crew and thinking about the installation, instead of how hungry they are.

Water and soda/energy drinks is a good call. Not our solar crew but we had some back yard work done and a 24 pack of water, Gatorade, and cokes went far. We noticed the crew drank a lot of Monster so we picked up a case of that as well. It's a small gesture and the crew was already fantastic - they were super appreciative. Guess it's easy if other customers are jerks :)

+1 to the suggestions to get the app running before the install team leaves and running ethernet to the gateway/inverter.

@craigcabrey are you getting just solar or Powerwalls? If you are getting Powerwalls there's a lot of things you can do with the team there (test the outage scenario, adjust off grid frequency, etc).

Reactions: jboy210
Thanks for the tips everyone! Definitely going to get water/coffee/breakfast stuff for the crew.

System info: 8.8 kW (22 x 400W 'Tesla' panels -- probably just contract manufactured QCell G10+) & two Powerwalls (not PW+). Directed them to install PW inside of garage (and ideally inverter too, not sure how much flexibility I have there). Gateway will obviously be near the service line. Kinda sad though, if I had just one or two fewer breakers, the GW could've actually replaced my main panel (my main panel only has a few slots being used since subpanels elsewhere do the actual heavy lifting).

Current price is $38k, up from about $35k both due to increase from 8.5 kW to 8.8 kW and a $1700 conduit run charge (so I really do expect them to go the extra mile for conduit runs being nice). Locked in at $2.01/watt & the 5 year/0.99% APY/0 down loan.

Both locations have ethernet wired and ready -- garage & outside service main panel location!

Tesla actually just updated my project with the 400W panels. Taking this as an opportunity to potentially get them to increase system size at the last minute (currently 8.8 kW, up from 8.5 kW -- hoping to squeeze 3 more panels in for 10 kW).

Only problem is that they may not want to install that close to the change in roof line (not sure of the right term). Perhaps I can sway the install crew? I would also LOVE to move those three panels on the east side of the roof to the front porch roof (west facing) but I imagine I'll get pushback because of structural engineering concerns.

Current size/layout
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 2.01.04 PM.png

Desired size/layout
Desired size & layout

Stolen from my Reddit post of a similar nature...

• Ensure the Powerwalls are mounted above any flood level. If you're at risk of hurricanes and tropical storms: the Powerwall has an IP rating of IP67 and IP56 which is very good but it is not immersion proof "IP8". Tesla probably accounted for this but good to double check.
  • The Gateway wifi connection is garbage. If you can, connect it via ethernet. I ran outdoor cat6 cable to my Gateway and it fixed all of my connectivity issues.
  • Be sure the PV and Powerwall shows up in your Tesla app before the install team leaves.
  • Test the app before the install team leaves. They mess up the CTs all of the time and show things like PV system is consuming power! You don't have to make sure it's perfectly accurate but just verify that the numbers look about correct for the grid, house draw, Powerwalls, and PV.
  • Fully test system off grid before the install team leaves - throw the utility breaker and see how your home responds. Do appliances work as intended? Stress the system a bit, see if you can actually get up to their rated max draw (5kw each). How does the solar respond when the Powerwall is full? Are all of the Powerwalls showing green lights and performing as per the app? They're designed to be a bit fault tolerant so even if one fails the other should still work but you may not notice unless you're paying attention (and it happens where 1 of the set of Powerwalls isn't installed properly but the system "works" still and goes unnoticed). If something doesn't work or is acting funny ask the team to explain or fix it.
  • Following up on #5 here one thing Powerwalls do out of the box is default the off grid frequency maximum to 65hz when they're full. This is way too high and will likely cause all sorts of wonkiness with frequency sensitive electronics such as motors, inductive cooktops, LED lights, and home automation systems. If your PV system is configured to shut down at a lower frequency you can get Tesla to reduce the Powerwall's maximum frequency.
  • See if you can get the Installer password. Chances are they'll try to not give it to you but it's worth asking. Generally you'll not need it but if something happens later and Tesla goes out of business you'll want full access to the system. You can actually reset the password with physical access but it's a lot easier just to get the password from Tesla to start.
  • Have them show you all of the wiring and explain each component to you. Depending on the complexity of the install you may notice something they didn't and can bring it up before they physically go in. Since you're just adding to an existing PV system it's probably not as much work but still good to check. This can also be good in case you need to examine or have something fixed later by someone that didn't install your system.

Reactions: KHYE
Thanks for the tips everyone! Definitely going to get water/coffee/breakfast stuff for the crew.

System info: 8.8 kW (22 x 400W 'Tesla' panels -- probably just contract manufactured QCell G10+) & two Powerwalls (not PW+). Directed them to install PW inside of garage (and ideally inverter too, not sure how much flexibility I have there). Gateway will obviously be near the service line. Kinda sad though, if I had just one or two fewer breakers, the GW could've actually replaced my main panel (my main panel only has a few slots being used since subpanels elsewhere do the actual heavy lifting).

Current price is $38k, up from about $35k both due to increase from 8.5 kW to 8.8 kW and a $1700 conduit run charge (so I really do expect them to go the extra mile for conduit runs being nice). Locked in at $2.01/watt & the 5 year/0.99% APY/0 down loan.

Both locations have ethernet wired and ready -- garage & outside service main panel location!

Tesla actually just updated my project with the 400W panels. Taking this as an opportunity to potentially get them to increase system size at the last minute (currently 8.8 kW, up from 8.5 kW -- hoping to squeeze 3 more panels in for 10 kW).

Only problem is that they may not want to install that close to the change in roof line (not sure of the right term). Perhaps I can sway the install crew? I would also LOVE to move those three panels on the east side of the roof to the front porch roof (west facing) but I imagine I'll get pushback because of structural engineering concerns.

Current size/layout
View attachment 756079

Desired size/layout
View attachment 756078
You were able to get them to do hidden conduits on the spot? Also, I was told that the 400W panels are even bigger than the big 425W, which seem to be OOS now.

as we are getting closer to your install date I wanted to inform you that since we have moved the equipment into the garage we will need to install bollards in front of the Powerwalls since they will be in your garage this will take up some space in your garage approximatly 2 feet. I wanted to go over this with you before install to make sure this was okay with you so we can move forward with the install date you can reach back out to us at 877-571-7652
An email from my "project adviser" yesterday, TWO DAYS before installation. Just a casual "btw" message. I told them in May 2021 that I wanted the equipment installed in my garage. Why is it so difficult for Tesla to communicate the design & installation plans? Oh, and of course the adviser doesn't pick up the phone.

A 5 year old could run their operations better.