TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Install Gen 3 wall charger in Los angels

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ethange, May 26, 2020.

1. ethange

ethange Member

Teams.

To install Gen3 wall charger, I have found few companies to provide a quote for me In Los Angeles area. They said we don’t need permit and the cost is around $350. I searched online, people mentioned the installation is around $1000, and I need permit. Which is correct? Please help.

2. kingkong5

kingkong5 Member

I believe Los Angeles city does require a permit and inspection. I did it for my home here in Huntington Beach, but that's Orange County. It varies by city. The install itself is pretty basic, but the city doesn't want you to do it wrong and burn down your house. Your homeowner's insurance may also have an issue, if your home should catch on fire and it traces back to a home charger installed without a permit or inspection. Good luck with your install.

3. ethange

ethange Member

Thank you so much. Just the prices are totally different. From 300-1000 lol

4. kingkong5

kingkong5 Member

I got the same range of quotes when I had mine installed for $600. The permit itself was I think about $150 of that, though I think I was charged $250 for his trouble to fill out all the forms and take it to the city on my behalf. I would suggest picking somewhere in the middle of the range too, I don't think you can get it installed and permitted for $300. Of course, it was an easier decision when I installed it last year since SCE gave us $500 rebate for the installation, but that program ended May 31, 2019.

5. ethange

ethange Member

I contacted a company who recommended by Tesla Official Web. They quote me $800 without apply permit for me. Should I use them or use $300 guy? Thoughts?

6. kingkong5

kingkong5 Member

I went on craigslist and found a guy who would install it for $600 with the application for the permit. After it's installed, the city comes around to inspect and sign-off, but that's included in the permit fee. Between the $800 won't file a permit guy and the $300 won't file a permit guy, I'd find a guy who would do it for you with filing the permit. Unless you want to do that part yourself, or just not get it permitted at all.