Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install Gen 3 wall charger in Los angels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teams.

To install Gen3 wall charger, I have found few companies to provide a quote for me In Los Angeles area. They said we don’t need permit and the cost is around $350. I searched online, people mentioned the installation is around $1000, and I need permit. Which is correct? Please help.

I believe Los Angeles city does require a permit and inspection. I did it for my home here in Huntington Beach, but that's Orange County. It varies by city. The install itself is pretty basic, but the city doesn't want you to do it wrong and burn down your house. Your homeowner's insurance may also have an issue, if your home should catch on fire and it traces back to a home charger installed without a permit or inspection. Good luck with your install.

I believe Los Angeles city does require a permit and inspection. I did it for my home here in Huntington Beach, but that's Orange County. It varies by city. The install itself is pretty basic, but the city doesn't want you to do it wrong and burn down your house. Your homeowner's insurance may also have an issue, if your home should catch on fire and it traces back to a home charger installed without a permit or inspection. Good luck with your install.
Thank you so much. Just the prices are totally different. From 300-1000 lol

Thank you so much. Just the prices are totally different. From 300-1000 lol
I got the same range of quotes when I had mine installed for $600. The permit itself was I think about $150 of that, though I think I was charged $250 for his trouble to fill out all the forms and take it to the city on my behalf. I would suggest picking somewhere in the middle of the range too, I don't think you can get it installed and permitted for $300. Of course, it was an easier decision when I installed it last year since SCE gave us $500 rebate for the installation, but that program ended May 31, 2019.

I got the same range of quotes when I had mine installed for $600. The permit itself was I think about $150 of that, though I think I was charged $250 for his trouble to fill out all the forms and take it to the city on my behalf. I would suggest picking somewhere in the middle of the range too, I don't think you can get it installed and permitted for $300. Of course, it was an easier decision when I installed it last year since SCE gave us $500 rebate for the installation, but that program ended May 31, 2019.
I contacted a company who recommended by Tesla Official Web. They quote me $800 without apply permit for me. Should I use them or use $300 guy? Thoughts?

I contacted a company who recommended by Tesla Official Web. They quote me $800 without apply permit for me. Should I use them or use $300 guy? Thoughts?
I went on craigslist and found a guy who would install it for $600 with the application for the permit. After it's installed, the city comes around to inspect and sign-off, but that's included in the permit fee. Between the $800 won't file a permit guy and the $300 won't file a permit guy, I'd find a guy who would do it for you with filing the permit. Unless you want to do that part yourself, or just not get it permitted at all.

I went on craigslist and found a guy who would install it for $600 with the application for the permit. After it's installed, the city comes around to inspect and sign-off, but that's included in the permit fee. Between the $800 won't file a permit guy and the $300 won't file a permit guy, I'd find a guy who would do it for you with filing the permit. Unless you want to do that part yourself, or just not get it permitted at all.

If your are under LADWP a permit is required. Thats the only way to get your rebate. Before you can get the permit though you need to contact LADWP ESR and fill out a EV charge Station installation form, a planner will come out within 5-10 days and determine if you panel has the space and rating to handle the current (AMPs) of the charger. They will also check their end to make sure their transformer and wiring are suitable for the higher current draw. If panel is outdated or you don't have enough space in panel or AMP rating of the panel is to little (like a 100 AMP panel) you will be required to upgrade it to a minimum 200AMP. That also requires separate permit. If everything checks out to be okay, the ESR person will show you 3 different options,

1. Run new circuit from existing panel to charger an leave existing meter and get no special rater.

2. Run New circuit from existing panel to charger and request a new NET meter and a time of use rate

3. Install separate dedicated meter fed from either the exist panel, or do they want a new service drop (if your service is overhead, meaning your wires come from a power pole, through the open air, and connect to your service head. This option gives you a 250$ rebate along with the 500$ rebate for the unit. the charger when ever being used will be billed at a discounted rate all day all.

The units max AMP draw is 80AMPS, they want you to size your wire fir 100A. #3AWG wire wiould be needed if its a long run 2AWG to account for voltage drop. you would also need 1" coduit and a 6AWG ground wire.