TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Install HPWC at business, restrict use somehow?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Debaser, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Debaser

Debaser Member

I am going to install a HPWC at my business. I want to restrict use only to people who come in for a code, or something like that. Can anyone think of a way to install a keypad, or something similar, that only allows use of the HPWC when a code is entered? Thanks in advance.

2. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

You could put a breaker switch only where you can access it, then flip the switch for someone you want to charge. Probably be a lot cheaper than a code box.

• Like x 1
  3. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

Or a sign that says "Please only use this after getting permission from so-and-so".

Once folks reverse engineer the new HPWC communication protocol you could have a box where you enter a code, which enabled full-amp charger (and otherwise limits, perhaps even to zero amps, depending on the capabilities of the protocol).

4. dehydratedH2O

dehydratedH2O Member

Grab one of these, cut a hole in the bottom along the opening just big enough for the charger cable to fit through, and store the connector inside it with a padlock.

5. Debaser

Debaser Member

I feel dumb that I didn't think of that right away.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

You could buy a Clipper Creek high amp J1772 charging station that includes a keypad. Why does it have to be HPWC which isn't designed for restricted access?