Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install iphone charge dongle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this accessory with my TMS delivery. I don't see where/how to install this. Any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_6278.JPG
    IMG_6278.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 124
Thanks all for the notes. I was able to install the connector phone dock. Now I am having an issue with the guiding brackets with my iPhone 7.
My phone when slid through the brackets will not fit into the lightening connector. I have to pull forward the lightening connector and connect the phone.
In that case phone does not have any support to hold it firmly.

Can someone confirm if this is not an issue with iPhone 7 and I can recheck the way I installed the connector.

Thanks in advance.

There are two retention clip sides that keep the lightning plug pushed in the dock. Its possible that one side pushes it back less than another. I have been pulling my phone forward and it seams to have helped loosened the swing a bit and now its easier to slide the phone down. I do not have a case so that may help.

Thanks all for the notes. I was able to install the connector phone dock. Now I am having an issue with the guiding brackets with my iPhone 7.
My phone when slid through the brackets will not fit into the lightening connector. I have to pull forward the lightening connector and connect the phone.

Can someone confirm if this is not an issue with iPhone 7 and I can recheck the way I installed the connector.

Thanks in advance.
you need unscrew the connector, push the connector all the way to the back and screw it back again.
I did this on my car for my iphone 6S

Reactions: Gt1948

Thanks in advance.
Stock retainer plates will only work if you have no case. You can remove the cable end retainer and put a wedge in to hold the connector high enough to make connection, but will have to use without the phone guides. I made a quick change dock for my S as my wife and I have different phones. Held in by magnet strips takes 2 sec to switch out and will work with slim cases on iPhones

Attachments

• IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 84
Took delivery of my car last Wednesday.
Car came with connector installed.
By Friday, connector broke from user error...friend thought the phone and panel were on same pivot.
Seriously poor design for a number of reasons, one of which, you cannot see phone screen. Now, if Tesla had support for apple CarPlay...screen visibility would be a non-issue.

Wondering if I can manage to get my DS to provide replacement cable for free? Otherwise, I will go with a stock apple cable and call it a day...

Likewise, I am confident there are a number of after-market options, just haven't had time to scan through all the options.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
Took delivery of my car last Wednesday.
Car came with connector installed.
By Friday, connector broke from user error...friend thought the phone and panel were on same pivot.
Seriously poor design for a number of reasons, one of which, you cannot see phone screen. Now, if Tesla had support for apple CarPlay...screen visibility would be a non-issue.

Wondering if I can manage to get my DS to provide replacement cable for free? Otherwise, I will go with a stock apple cable and call it a day...

Likewise, I am confident there are a number of after-market options, just haven't had time to scan through all the options.

You're not suppose to see the screen... i.e. don't use your phone while driving. The dock is for you to put your phone to charge while you drive not use it............

Reactions: Gt1948 and obe1
I was pleased that I had to install this myself in the 2017. The 2016 was installed before delivery by Tesla and it took time each day to position the iPhone just right to get the power to connect. During my installation, I noticed that the power connector could be slid forward and back before tightening. By using my phone and case, the exact distance was determined. Now I can easily place the phone in the holder and it connects every time.