Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install of Radar Detector, Dashcam, and Laser Jammer (LONG)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Telsa Fans! Thought I'd put a write up on my dashcam, radar detector and parking sensors (laser jammers)

IMG_1930.jpg
Can you share details on how you removed the trim to get access to the upper grille area?

I just did the same install on my 2015 P85D. Thanks for the info and pics, Fezzik! I found a nice hole in the firewall on the driver's side. It is located below the windshield wiper fluid container. It opens directly into the footwell area. It is covered with a black rubber stopper. All of the wires passed easily through it. No need to drill any holes. Haven't done the rear lasers, yet.

@Fezzik:

How did you secure your ALP sensors in the honey comb grill? It comes with the bracket. I assume you didn't use it and was using the pressure from the honey comb grill to hold it? Or did you glue it?

Also, with the radar sensor behind the nose cone, how good is the detection since it isnt fully exposed?

@Fezzik:

How did you secure your ALP sensors in the honey comb grill? It comes with the bracket. I assume you didn't use it and was using the pressure from the honey comb grill to hold it? Or did you glue it?

Also, with the radar sensor behind the nose cone, how good is the detection since it isnt fully exposed?

I have some foam tape that i put in there and was going to peel off both side. but its wedged in there so tight i just let the honeycomb keep in in place. Its been fine this whole time without any problems or moving. If it moves too much, then I'd secure it with the tape.

The radar behind the nosecone doesnt affect it hardly at all. I've also done this with my G37 and havent had any problems with it. I can detect signals from miles out on a long stretch of highway.

I have some foam tape that i put in there and was going to peel off both side. but its wedged in there so tight i just let the honeycomb keep in in place. Its been fine this whole time without any problems or moving. If it moves too much, then I'd secure it with the tape.

The radar behind the nosecone doesnt affect it hardly at all. I've also done this with my G37 and havent had any problems with it. I can detect signals from miles out on a long stretch of highway.

@Fezzik: I finally installed the dual ALP sensors in the grill too. I just hope they are level. I know they both point fwd in a parallel fashion as I removed the bumper and used a straight edge to verify they are parallel to each other from the rear. I had to use glue to secure it as the double sided tape wouldn't completely secure it from jiggling. I hope I don't have to make much modifications if I have to adjust it.

Have you gone to a meet to test your ALP sensors for their alignment?

Also, with the STIR Plus receiver on top of the bumper behind the nose cone, I never get any KA bands going off. I heard that placing it behind the plastic may affect off axis coverage. Dead ahead, not much of a problem, but possibly off-axis?

Also, with the STIR Plus receiver on top of the bumper behind the nose cone, I never get any KA bands going off. I heard that placing it behind the plastic may affect off axis coverage. Dead ahead, not much of a problem, but possibly off-axis?

I get Ka all the time. I have the same thing in my G37 behind the plastic bumper and it picks up well too.

As far as a meet. I have not gone yet to test them. I DID GET HIT by laser from a cop as I was coming around the corner. I slowed down and the ALP turned of automatically and I was all good. Cop was aiming at my rear as well but I was doing the limit by then as well.

- - - Updated - - -

OP, is your IQ 140+? Awesome work.

No clue... I havent solved any mathematical theories or world changing discovery.... I need to work on it.

Your welcome. Hit me help if you need any help on install.
Thank you for these instructions and pics, they've been so useful! I'm on the part where you remove the plastic cover above the rear view mirror. The front sides came down a little after a good amount of pressure, but I'm concerned I might break the clips.
Could you provide any tips on how to remove it? Did you have to press in anywhere or pull straight down...?

ZR1Oyo7mOivkfGbuDCO84ygKQZ9rV2My6zyRnQajWRIN_ptjtfJPPhWawPbO11V-ozIl7wFcTx5mDg4OQxl5M-SmCAmJ7RYWd26XIDpwZ9SI1u6wfhuoPjKrh-XvW5-TC3qJ0JLxPjDBuA0L-cnZgOhD7VOy41sazLpjdkyueHQeoSeifAEe54ydmeYd3kRnqrkgHbEaOPpBZP11elwGxxdMQQCu54EjWp1tQJrsfC6Qw2lxwT-WpLV4n8ew4DVZHLpw0NP6HdVOEQB2wPX0cRaAjU7bnIn34cS2JJIPdnvYiLT1rje5M-hvDL3fASYEKVVkWJjE8zj1nRj7rH8tA4L5XVOv6fzBSBk9SblaA5R5S9kI7wAdHqDoKaEWmpGOwkDuiDitHowhHR2Cpl29py2-E0Er87HtN3BDBEN0z1F67JAGdPkYWswycJXwPC2WcZEtHu-riJXENefztWfq0PiDaNeePxyPuKCrppMtvsra-xsf7qoGlGga6IDdIrFi3Rpe3laoBvcxqaT5QZ1JnOaJ_tzpVfgLWtbNLxcmirQaLRJobVozftINCsqCH4fOL-fsqMLiO2euzcr_OmhhksA8OkepbFaH=w841-h629-no

a2BvLq3-Ujd5ud3X_BEaQuq-6JZ6bNOa5Dy5fhHLzAb5BkyiTb6hJUhLzugtYV27qNkj-MeluDsg8R7oHRPz3df4pfK0vPg3EKRR62BB2DtjvuUSD98g3ojeT_0FXSo9ce7tWUyxA2fApWi525kQKrf-rMICNBtAYWxNwaB4sT4ueMv_QrWjOy4pexori8RYyNcye6OZmGdZtBo6pxQNHnOChwrHhPFyjER59JVSYsD7gIiit2U1W3Dp5Z7rkn6OrZkw74lWiPKNFuV4Y2RylC-FZv8HNJhSvu2vu2mHtDBP62cICGl6qRdPXZSR7gHSpg981-UvUj70uS9E9LCsaxCRkjS76i1eis-qn-mklnSLXG2lHgNFmciRWcj3oFsDXk3Yi5ucZZl2iEOQHvPXP8pR4oHkKhV-Knq8MDrtVkfr6LhIr_rZQK4kf7e5yZNXJQ-ljpFQP3hNBKnf3sCgaTItfK54OHoEWbTy5tAzdXWypmRA_WV82ktKrMWgCNthewvJspvbc9LXN-tkJ_e7KndFgYgx4s1zdhJSyXYPEIIHabk8RoHSloCqEokF4We6DPz-JMtFf1vyznrNER3nrbI5lvn-NiqA=w841-h629-no
GjftR-5zaIUbMEfOKl4--lQ8ylUH7XezQ7_5hzdZLql42OM0oU5dMyuJ2Pl5dlgQfDacr4cp2wNgWOMWIHhkOjInWmJKDDm9Zb7C9Rat4SuAmN4-NwsK94k7Xem5DWZKfx5u5f8ai2JEaRUOXOHG0DYhbKeUtHLNPxQxIbx5l5F6a_lx2UuNKBAXfWNaamhq3xh8WH2OSK2qSn7Xqcl1x-YMSczQrixPOJAnVfr4JhaNvOgheKM7B4d9lJH9vewWgIBVBDyfJPdweODL0IziaCloMmBtyqfK3ozYnLLmqwVm7-yOxB5RmpufHE0F5Mgs2Hr4DuKV9_eqqzbHxK8dZB0pucb4_1YTe4Y5PuWxkCsFvZgwdrxYwcJi0fAgd6PV0swVOg832a6WSSaVMW_SCNIlv8HBpnwUNAYmRbQ5xyFLkHs3oVzrc7Ut5JRkJIDjP4VUSkEx9ki75T_niAF0e7esweDp5-PQVpg8Wzh7aj7fglmbIuJTFxKwwuXgHm9cpm3WIXVYe6yAJ0R17HUNPO4mSzhmECCCw8CKHJumdj1m6LYIK3L-5GacR2oi9Ba8OLzDqv50_t_1ofj2iuf7xcbM0W5jiHXS=w841-h629-no

Thanks!

Tifa I can't see your pictures, but it pulls down from the front if you mean the speaker-grill thing on the headliner. You have to be fairly assertive with most of the Tesla panels; they're designed tight to reduce rattles and squeaks.

If you mean the cover on the mirror base, that unsnaps from three points and comes off cleanly.

• Informative
Reactions: Tifa
Thank you for these instructions and pics, they've been so useful! I'm on the part where you remove the plastic cover above the rear view mirror. The front sides came down a little after a good amount of pressure, but I'm concerned I might break the clips.

Thanks!

If I'm reading your post correctly, the clips are metal so it would be very difficult to break the clips. The actual clips attach to the plastic trim via sharp metal prongs. It's not unusual for the metal clips to separate from the plastic trim. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen and reattach the clips. The clips can have sharp edges so you need to be careful when handling them.

• Informative
Reactions: Tifa
Tifa I can't see your pictures, but it pulls down from the front if you mean the speaker-grill thing on the headliner. You have to be fairly assertive with most of the Tesla panels; they're designed tight to reduce rattles and squeaks.

If you mean the cover on the mirror base, that unsnaps from three points and comes off cleanly.

Thanks, yes I'm trying to remove the mirror base. Do you know roughly where those 3 points are?

If I'm reading your post correctly, the clips are metal so it would be very difficult to break the clips. The actual clips attach to the plastic trim via sharp metal prongs. It's not unusual for the metal clips to separate from the plastic trim. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen and reattach the clips. The clips can have sharp edges so you need to be careful when handling them.

Ah I see, that's good to know. So I just need to pull straight down and hard? I'll give it another try. Thanks!

Reactions: Maximus8