TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Install speakers to trunk liftgate on standard system?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kazaam, Dec 6, 2015.

1. kazaam

kazaam New Member

Have anyone done it? I heard there could be wire already?

2. ddimit

ddimit Member

I am interested in the outcome of this as well

3. Marc_GA

Marc_GA Member

Also interested.

I took a bit of the lift-gate apart to install a rear camera. I did not see any wires in mine.

I really want to add the two (l/r) speakers in the dash and a sub to the standard sound as it is a little plain. Not motivated enough right now as my garage is very cold to work in.

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

The connectors and wires are in fact there, but your audio amp up front won't have the proper outputs. You will need more than just speakers....

- - - Updated - - -

You have to remove the entire inside plastic trim piece that contains the speaker grilles. To remove this you need to remove the top plastic bar (top of liftgate window) and the left and right side pieces (...lots of blue clips). The large bottom piece is held by a lot of clips plus 2 Torx screws. You have to unsnap the recessed plastic hand holds on the lift gate and also pop out the power liftgate button first. And when you start to drop this large trim piece, watch out for some short wires. And if you enjoyed this, just wait until you try to reinstall this large unwieldy piece--it's a 2 person job for sure. YMMV.